fleaswatter
Threads: 3
crying chuckie schumer 0 for 2 this evening in the senate. LMAO

Let's go Brandon
January 20th, 2022 at 3:18:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
He should have succeeded, I don't agree with everything that he did, but during the depression and then WWII he was force to implement a number of extreme measures that probably would be ruled unconstitutional by all but the most loyal judges. I think (I could be wrong) he ended up influencing the Court more than any other President by mere fact of being in power for four terms (not quite four full terms), but still 12+ years is a lot of opportunity to appoint Judges (not just to the Supreme Court). And, the Supreme Court pushed back on a lot of what he was trying to do.

But, Court Packing attempt was massively unpopular (even by his own party who had control, and even his own VP was outraged) because it made him look like a Dictator. He was lucky in the sense that he was able to stay in power because of the Depression and WWII, but in normal scenarios that could have been political suicide (which is probably why others are so hesitant to try or even speak about it). I don't think, absent WWIII we will see another attempt of Court packing (we have already seen that even economic turmoil is not enough to push in that direction). Roosevelt in many ways pushed the Constitution to its limits (and beyond), but he was successful.

It made him look like a dictator because it was the same kind of thing dictators across the ocean were doing. Roosevelt went well past Constitutional limits.

Your first sentence is scary. You sound willing to throw away your rights if there is some kind of "good reason."
The President is a fink.
January 20th, 2022 at 6:43:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I'm endlessly surprised that the Democrats didn't know that Manchin is a moderate who also respects the nation's political institutions, procedures and is capable of contemplating the larger implications of his actions. How could they not have known that for so long?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 20th, 2022 at 7:27:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I'm endlessly surprised that the Democrats didn't know that Manchin is a moderate who also respects the nation's political institutions, procedures and is capable of contemplating the larger implications of his actions. How could they not have known that for so long?

They are used to their Senators and Congressmen marching to orders like the Prussian army. When one or two votes their beliefs not as ordered so they can get all that party support money it throws them for a loop.
The President is a fink.
January 20th, 2022 at 7:37:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Blah, Fox News! I know, but this interview gives you an idea what Manchin is about:

I mean, whatever Biden wants to put in Manchin's mouth, Manchin has done nothing during this entire term other than what he said he was going to do. Towards the end of this interview, he said that he's not going to bypass the filibuster. When he talks about, "The process," what he means is go back to actual bipartisanship and find something, basically, that all of the Democrats and at least ten Republicans can live with.

Personally, I don't care how long the deadlock lasts. Vote different people in if you have to. I'd see them all voted out, exception to Manchin, maybe Sinema (don't know enough about her, really) and perhaps a handful of Republicans. You can replace either of Texas' Senators with Crenshaw and I'll gladly take that.

If the (barely) majority party is good for fifty and you can't get sixty then, in my opinion, either the Senators mostly suck or the bill sucks.

In fact, Manchin supports the Voting Rights bills; he just doesn't support doing an end around on the filibuster. Why should he? That closes the door on bipartisanship and then the Republicans, should they find themselves with the Oval Office, the House and a Small Senate majority are now justified in doing the same thing. The Democrats probably aren't concerned because they don't think Republicans will ever take the House again, but I wouldn't be so arrogant.

I also don't think the Freedom to Vote act would survive a Constitutional challenge because it's an overreach as to the extent that states have traditionally been permitted to oversee their own elections. There's also not much in the way of Constitutional provisions for how states are supposed to handle their Elections, and what provisions there are, the Constitution speaks to directly already.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 20th, 2022 at 8:21:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Orca that hunt great whites "literally tear the shark apart" by each grabbing hold of a pectoral fin, the owner of a whale watching company who has been following these predators for several years told Newsweek.

The technique the killer whales employed was for each to grab onto a pectoral fin and literally tear the shark apart, in order to remove the squalene-rich livers—the shark's largest and most nutritious organ.

Let's hope they don't start finding our livers delicious.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/orca-literally-tear-great-white-sharks-apart-to-get-to-their-livers/ar-AASY9rU?ocid=msedgntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 20th, 2022 at 11:35:03 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine

Good example of all the name changing the libbies have society do. They used to be called killer whales because that is what they do, they are the most efficient predator in the ocean. The libbies had to change the name because they seldom if ever kill humans and we were being mean to call them killers. They have been called killer whales or some equivalent name in other languages for over 300 years that we know of. The term 'killer whale' is actually a bad translation from Portuguese where the name was 'whale killer' since it was observed pods could take down a whale.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 20th, 2022 at 11:57:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Good example of all the name changing the libbies have society do. They used to be called killer whales because that is what they do, they are the most efficient predator in the ocean. The libbies had to change the name because they seldom if ever kill humans and we were being mean to call them killers. They have been called killer whales or some equivalent name in other languages for over 300 years that we know of. The term 'killer whale' is actually a bad translation from Portuguese where the name was 'whale killer' since it was observed pods could take down a whale.

You've got issues.

The scientific name is Ornicus orca
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 20th, 2022 at 11:58:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman

Libbie derangement syndrome.

Freaking out over what killer whales are called. lmao
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 20th, 2022 at 2:10:05 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Today is a dark day for conservative chocolate fans.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman