In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 22nd, 2022 at 5:18:10 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Seattle does not have enough police officers to respond to emergencies. It makes sense…who wants to be attacked simply for being part of a profession?

Simply look for another job or go somewhere else. The liberals have changed the attitude towards the police and lots of officers are getting attacked and killed. They aren’t getting attacked for bad actions they have committed; they are being attacked simply for putting on the uniform. The war on police is working—people are being driven away from the profession.

I am all for weeding out bad officers but that is not what was done.

Thanks to all who supported defunding the police. It was a stupid idea and people in cities are paying for it.

What a giant load of sh**, even by RonC standards.

Damn libbies!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 22nd, 2022 at 5:27:31 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
What a giant load of sh**, even by RonC standards.

Damn libbies!

So you obviously think the liberal push to defund the police is not having an impact on those joining the police forces in many cities?

Utterly a stupid take.

Then you more idiotically try to say that I am ignoring what people other than liberals do…yet I have spoken out here against that also.

I am not “for” lawlessness. I just understand that liberal defund the police folks and making enemies out of the police as has been done keeps people from considering law enforcement jobs.

The reason I keep you and Ed on ignore and rarely read your posts at all is that you both have a history of not ever calling out your side.

I have called out my side for a lot of things. People are pretty damned imperfect.

Don’t ever be sure I read anything you write unless it is quoted by someone…it isn’t worth the time it takes to read your takes. Blocking allows me to read when I want and ignore the rest of the time. I am glad I did it on my phone, too. Less of your drivel.
February 22nd, 2022 at 6:28:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

So you obviously think the liberal push to defund the police is not having an impact on those joining the police forces in many cities?

Nope
You shouldn't be a cop if you can't deal with legitimate political discourse. You should not be a cop if you can't deal with an individual practicing their freedom of speech saying "defund". You hear a lot worse on the streets. Much much much worse.

Most police officers are stupid anyway
I watch lots of 1st amendment audits on YouTube
It's really shocking how most officers don't know the law
Shocking
These are daily uploads going on for years
The amount of dumb stupid cops that don't know the law is stunning

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kyle-rittenhouse-says-hes-going-to-sue-whoopi-goldberg-and-other-politicians-celebrities-athletes-074102590.html
WTF
I consider Rittenhouse a murderer
The rightwing thought police has convinced Kyle that people can't call him a murderer
WTF
He murdered people just like OJ is a murderer
I don't give a crap about the courts
OJ and Kyle are murderers
Now Kyle wants to make money off of people practicing free speech. Sick
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 22nd, 2022 at 6:33:26 AM permalink
ams288

Utterly a stupid take.

That is not my “take.” That is you speaking for me.
February 22nd, 2022 at 6:41:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
More educated cops may be helpful.

Quote:
Despite research that demonstrates police officers with at least two years of college education are much less likely to be the subject of misconduct complaints, and less likely to use force as their first option to gain compliance, many police and sheriff’s departments still hire recruits with only a high school diploma.

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/504075-college-for-cops-studies-show-it-helps-their-behavior-stress-levels?rl=1
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 22nd, 2022 at 6:44:28 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: ams288
That is not my “take.” That is you speaking for me.

Defund the police and reparations are just righties referring to the boogie man
They take extreme issues that are going nowhere and are meaningless to deflect from real news.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 22nd, 2022 at 6:58:48 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine

That is probably true, more commonly people push for at least a Bachelors degree to be a cop. But, some of the most corrupt departments require a Bachelors degree, so that does not instantly solve all issues (it may lead to better on the ground interactions, that does not suprise me, but won't change larger issues).

Then there is the opposite problem, somebody who is overly qualified being a police officer. For example I knew a lawyer who was a cop as his full-time job (talking about regular local police departments, not specialized enforcment agencies), and he was a cop for all of the wrong reasons. If somebody with a Doctorate or professional degree wants to be a regular cop, that should also raise alarm bells. I know some specialized state/federal enforcment agencies, its more common for agents to be lawyers or have other advanced degrees for obvious reasons.

I don't know what the right answer is. But, it's a complicated balance. I think the better fix is start with the basic training, and work towards 100% of departments having dash and body cams that cannot be turned off.
February 22nd, 2022 at 7:22:32 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine

Sound training practices and leadership (not just management) that reinforces proper procedures, allows for cops who may get on edge to see someone to work on issues, removes bad cops who are identified, etc. is needed at all levels of policing. They need to have leadership in the streets from the highest levels all the time…no office jockeys running the show.

Policing is inherently dangerous and you are often working with the dregs of society. Keeping a good eye on everyone doing the job is important.

One crappy cop reflects on everyone…maybe more than it should…get rid of crappy cops.
February 22nd, 2022 at 7:33:29 AM permalink
ams288
One crappy cop reflects on everyone…maybe more than it should…get rid of crappy cops.

The problem is there are way more “crappy” cops than most people are willing to admit.

Like, WAY MORE.
February 22nd, 2022 at 8:00:46 AM permalink
terapined
I've known one cop in my life
Grew up with him. 4 houses away from me.
Dumbest kid in the neighborhood
Got picked on a bit
Became a Howard County police officer in MD
Committed 1st degree murder
I still discuss this case with old neighborhood friends. Some are afraid to discuss this on a public forum.
Shocking but what can you do when an officer commits 1st degree murder and the police department lets him get away with it.
This was not a heat of the moment decision. It was cold blooded 1st degree murder. The worst kind of murder. Planned.
They refused to investigate
Got away with it and retired
Scary
Victor Reimer
I hope I never run into him the rest of my life.
If I was not so hard to find, I wouldn't discuss this case