In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 21st, 2022 at 3:53:01 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Those Can-truckers are no better than Jan. 6th insurrectionists.

Throw em in jail, seize and sell their trucks.
February 21st, 2022 at 3:57:20 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee

You would have done well in Germany under Hitler. They believed in jailing people they didn't like and seizing their assets. Hopefully you don't believe in the final solution.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 21st, 2022 at 3:57:42 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

With all the rioters and looters arrested in the BLM protests?

They were “mostly peaceful”…
February 21st, 2022 at 4:30:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
You would have done well in Germany under Hitler. They believed in jailing people they didn't like and seizing their assets. Hopefully you don't believe in the final solution.

When you and others say "assets being seized", can you clarify what you mean? Are people actually seizing the bank accounts of truckers? Or does it just mean their truck was "seized" (IE towed and impounded).

Or when you see the numbers of "assets seized", does it simply mean their truck was impounded because they refused to move it? Because 1200 cases of "asset seizure" if it is 99% vehicle towing/impounding after refusing to move does not sound over the top at all (in fact it sounds almost too low)...

I am genuinely asking, because this would have a massive difference on my (and probably many others) view of the situation.
IE if their truck is being towed, no sane person would care. But, if their accounts were being seized, that is totally different (again talking about the vast majority of people on the ground, the few organizers, is a different scenario, since they are using funds to organize an illegal activity, so seizing such accounts would be reasonable).
February 21st, 2022 at 4:32:36 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96

Perhaps, but my success or lack thereof is not the issue, is it?

The issue is whether the Canadian gov't acted correctly and whether the trucker's have acted contrary to law.

Nice attempt at deflection.
February 21st, 2022 at 4:55:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Gandler
When you and others say "assets being seized", can you clarify what you mean? Are people actually seizing the bank accounts of truckers? Or does it just mean their truck was "seized" (IE towed and impounded).

Or when you see the numbers of "assets seized", does it simply mean their truck was impounded because they refused to move it? Because 1200 cases of "asset seizure" if it is 99% vehicle towing/impounding after refusing to move does not sound over the top at all (in fact it sounds almost too low)...

I am genuinely asking, because this would have a massive difference on my (and probably many others) view of the situation.
IE if their truck is being towed, no sane person would care. But, if their accounts were being seized, that is totally different (again talking about the vast majority of people on the ground, the few organizers, is a different scenario, since they are using funds to organize an illegal activity, so seizing such accounts would be reasonable).

This quote happens to be from the Daily Mail but do you own search if you want.

"A Canadian MP says the bank account of a single mom with a minimum wage job has been frozen after she donated $50 to Freedom Convoy.

Conservative lawmaker Mark Strahl says the mom, named only as Briane, has had her life ruined for donating the small sum to the anti-vaccine mandates protest.

Strahl shared Brianne's story as concerns grow that scores of ordinary people will no longer be able to pay for food and basics after their accounts were frozen for donating to a group of protesters."
February 21st, 2022 at 6:09:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This quote happens to be from the Daily Mail but do you own search if you want.

"A Canadian MP says the bank account of a single mom with a minimum wage job has been frozen after she donated $50 to Freedom Convoy.

Conservative lawmaker Mark Strahl says the mom, named only as Briane, has had her life ruined for donating the small sum to the anti-vaccine mandates protest.

Strahl shared Brianne's story as concerns grow that scores of ordinary people will no longer be able to pay for food and basics after their accounts were frozen for donating to a group of protesters."

I'll press X to doubt.

Strahl says he does not want to give further details or explain further for fear of doxxing her. (Paraphrasing). His reprehensive declined further comment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10535361/Canadian-MP-says-single-mom-bank-account-frozen-donating-50-Freedom-Convoy.html

If that story is 100% true as told (the only thing she did was donate 50 dollars to a group before it broke the law), of course I would be against it. But, I am skeptical of all of those conservative MPs telling stories without details about random people having all of their accounts frozen for donating.

The only tangible stories that I can find where people offer proof of seizures are truckers talking about their trucks being seized by police for illegal use, which is very justified. And, company accounts of truck owners who use their accounts to support the convoy (which is more questionable, but still easily justified).

Whenever there are second or even third hand stories of "somebody told me about somebody they know having their accounts frozen because she may have donated online once", I am skeptical. I find it hard to believe that a "single mother working a minimum wage job" would have her accounts frozen (I actually find it even more hard to believe that single mother working minimum wage would care enough to donate 50 dollars to a cause, that is over a day of work, which would be a massive single contribution scaled per income).

In this article a 73 year old woman also donated 50 dollars and was alarmed to hear that she could have her account frozen, but her accounts were never touched.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-rcmp-banks-and-ottawa-say-convoy-protest-donors-wont-have-accounts/

I think the Canadian authoritarians have larger priorities than small donors or even individual donors. Especially if they have the ability to seize millions from companies who support the action, there would be no incentive (need aside) to go through all of that paperwork to seize a couple hundred dollars...
February 21st, 2022 at 6:48:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Gandler
I'll press X to doubt.

Strahl says he does not want to give further details or explain further for fear of doxxing her. (Paraphrasing). His reprehensive declined further comment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10535361/Canadian-MP-says-single-mom-bank-account-frozen-donating-50-Freedom-Convoy.html

If that story is 100% true as told (the only thing she did was donate 50 dollars to a group before it broke the law), of course I would be against it. But, I am skeptical of all of those conservative MPs telling stories without details about random people having all of their accounts frozen for donating.

The only tangible stories that I can find where people offer proof of seizures are truckers talking about their trucks being seized by police for illegal use, which is very justified. And, company accounts of truck owners who use their accounts to support the convoy (which is more questionable, but still easily justified).

Whenever there are second or even third hand stories of "somebody told me about somebody they know having their accounts frozen because she may have donated online once", I am skeptical. I find it hard to believe that a "single mother working a minimum wage job" would have her accounts frozen (I actually find it even more hard to believe that single mother working minimum wage would care enough to donate 50 dollars to a cause, that is over a day of work, which would be a massive single contribution scaled per income).

In this article a 73 year old woman also donated 50 dollars and was alarmed to hear that she could have her account frozen, but her accounts were never touched.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-rcmp-banks-and-ottawa-say-convoy-protest-donors-wont-have-accounts/

I think the Canadian authoritarians have larger priorities than small donors or even individual donors. Especially if they have the ability to seize millions from companies who support the action, there would be no incentive (need aside) to go through all of that paperwork to seize a couple hundred dollars...

This is from CBC and quotes the Deputy Prime Minister of Canada but keep on doubting.

"Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Thursday financial institutions have moved quickly to freeze the accounts of people linked to the demonstrations in Ottawa, leaving an unknown number of protesters in financial limbo.

Freeland vowed to take more accounts offline in the coming days in an attempt to starve the organizers of the funds they need to continue their occupation of the nation's capital.

Freeland, who is also the finance minister, said the RCMP and other law enforcement agencies have been gathering intelligence on convoy protesters and their supporters and sharing that information with financial institutions to restrict access to cash and cryptocurrency.

The law also allows banks to target for account closure donors to the GoFundMe and the GiveSendGo fundraising campaigns that fuelled this protest. Freeland said she wouldn't get into the "specifics of whose accounts are being frozen."
February 22nd, 2022 at 3:02:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Perhaps, but my success or lack thereof is not the issue, is it?

The issue is whether the Canadian gov't acted correctly and whether the trucker's have acted contrary to law.

Nice attempt at deflection.

He is not talking about your "success." He is pointing out that you support the same kind of policies of communist states towards their people to keep them in line as Canada is using.
The President is a fink.
February 22nd, 2022 at 4:04:45 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Seattle does not have enough police officers to respond to emergencies. It makes sense…who wants to be attacked simply for being part of a profession?

Simply look for another job or go somewhere else. The liberals have changed the attitude towards the police and lots of officers are getting attacked and killed. They aren’t getting attacked for bad actions they have committed; they are being attacked simply for putting on the uniform. The war on police is working—people are being driven away from the profession.

I am all for weeding out bad officers but that is not what was done.

Thanks to all who supported defunding the police. It was a stupid idea and people in cities are paying for it.