In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 20th, 2022 at 6:03:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Republican thought police
1984 is here

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-224424179.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 21st, 2022 at 11:37:55 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Kowtowing to China

"And I thought steroids shrunk your balls"- Bill Maher
February 21st, 2022 at 12:00:07 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Canada must have some incredibly weak laws that don’t provide a way to move truckers along without “emergency powers” OR they have leaders who want to grab more power for themselves.

You would think that after a period of time, simply enforcing a set of existing laws would move the protesters along. I am all for peaceful protests but there comes a time when occupying an area illegally has to be dealt with and disbursed.
February 21st, 2022 at 12:31:12 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Canada must have some incredibly weak laws that don’t provide a way to move truckers along without “emergency powers” OR they have leaders who want to grab more power for themselves.

You would think that after a period of time, simply enforcing a set of existing laws would move the protesters along. I am all for peaceful protests but there comes a time when occupying an area illegally has to be dealt with and disbursed.

I don't know how true it is, but I read somewhere that some cities are unable to find tow companies that have Wreckers for the large trucks that are willing to work with police on such a large scale because they don't want to offend their customers (truckers).

Even large Cities that have their own tow program (government tow and impound lots), often don't have such wrecker trucks (or maybe just one or two), not enough to tow hundreds of trucks in any kind of reasonable time. So there is basically a shortage of wrecker drivers who will work with police.

I find this believable. I know how hard it is to find such tow trucks outside of trucker heavy communities, and in those communities they don't usually want to annoy their customers since for commercial they can make more doing transport than impound.

The same article said that part of the emergency powers would allow some police (federal police I think) to force tow companies to tow for them. I don't know enough about Canada to know how this would work in practice. I have a feeling that would be strongly disliked in America. And, this would still not help local police unless they are empowered.
February 21st, 2022 at 1:13:28 PM permalink
RonC
Quote: Gandler
I don't know how true it is, but I read somewhere that some cities are unable to find tow companies that have Wreckers for the large trucks that are willing to work with police on such a large scale because they don't want to offend their customers (truckers).

Even large Cities that have their own tow program (government tow and impound lots), often don't have such wrecker trucks (or maybe just one or two), not enough to tow hundreds of trucks in any kind of reasonable time. So there is basically a shortage of wrecker drivers who will work with police.

I find this believable. I know how hard it is to find such tow trucks outside of trucker heavy communities, and in those communities they don't usually want to annoy their customers since for commercial they can make more doing transport than impound.

The same article said that part of the emergency powers would allow some police (federal police I think) to force tow companies to tow for them. I don't know enough about Canada to know how this would work in practice. I have a feeling that would be strongly disliked in America. And, this would still not help local police unless they are empowered.

If that part about tow trucks is true, fine…use the powers for that.

They are locking access to accounts for people who donated to the cause.

They have taken things a few steps too far…but Trudeau did send his love when Castro died, so…
February 21st, 2022 at 2:16:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
NBC's Beijing Olympic ratings called a 'disaster' for network

The Olympics simply are not what they used to be. Really probably time they get just 1-3 permanent host cities for the winter games and4 for the summer. For NBC the question is are they down because of the china virus and games half a world away or are people just not so into them anymore. They do not have the romance of the Cold War era. Maybe now they are just another event.
The President is a fink.
February 21st, 2022 at 2:33:30 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: RonC
If that part about tow trucks is true, fine…use the powers for that.

They are locking access to accounts for people who donated to the cause.

They have taken things a few steps too far…but Trudeau did send his love when Castro died, so…

The Emergency Act that Trudeau initiated is an anti-terrorism act passed after 9/11. It was quite controversial at the time because of the powers it gave the government. It was passed after they convinced the population that it was for use against foreign terrorists and would never be used again Canadian citizens, yeah right. Shit like this is why you have fight against every step a government takes for more powers. The blockades were ended with the power they already had. What the proclamation gave them was the power to seized bank accounts, currently 1300 and counting.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 21st, 2022 at 3:05:22 PM permalink
RonC
Quote: kenarman
The Emergency Act that Trudeau initiated is an anti-terrorism act passed after 9/11. It was quite controversial at the time because of the powers it gave the government. It was passed after they convinced the population that it was for use against foreign terrorists and would never be used again Canadian citizens, yeah right. Shit like this is why you have fight against every step a government takes for more powers. The blockades were ended with the power they already had. What the proclamation gave them was the power to seized bank accounts, currently 1300 and counting.

…and they say they are going to hunt people down. People who left. Ridiculous.
February 21st, 2022 at 3:17:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman

I have been reading more into it.

I think it was actually passed in the 1980s. But, this is the first time it was used in history. (I only point this out to show it has nothing to do with 9/11 which people often blame for security policies, not as a gotcha)

Even Wiki says, "...authorizes the federal government to take extraordinary temporary measures to respond to public welfare emergencies, public order emergencies, international emergencies and war emergencies...." so it is meant to cover a large swath of issues, not just foreign policy and war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergencies_Act

This convoy sounds like it could easily fall under "Public Order" and "Public Welfare" emergencies based on the definitions. So, I think it can be justified. I guess it can be debated if it should be justified, and if this even was so historically unpresented that it should be the first to receive the usage of this law. But, its important to look at all sides.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-4.5/.

I am not Canadian so my opinion is pretty irrelevant, but I don't have a massive issue with it, for at least a couple days local Governments failed to clear protestors in a timely manner, so there comes a point where this becomes necessary.
And, to be clear, this is not a left/right thing, I say the same thing about BLM protests, Trump protests, etc... Anytime a local government fails to disband a protest in a quick manner, higher powers need to intervene. This is why we have different levels of government to take out people who are disrupting local levels of government, and there is not a proper local reaction.
February 21st, 2022 at 3:52:50 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
I have been reading more into it.

I think it was actually passed in the 1980s. But, this is the first time it was used in history. (I only point this out to show it has nothing to do with 9/11 which people often blame for security policies, not as a gotcha)

Even Wiki says, "...authorizes the federal government to take extraordinary temporary measures to respond to public welfare emergencies, public order emergencies, international emergencies and war emergencies...." so it is meant to cover a large swath of issues, not just foreign policy and war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergencies_Act

This convoy sounds like it could easily fall under "Public Order" and "Public Welfare" emergencies based on the definitions. So, I think it can be justified. I guess it can be debated if it should be justified, and if this even was so historically unpresented that it should be the first to receive the usage of this law. But, its important to look at all sides.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-4.5/.

I am not Canadian so my opinion is pretty irrelevant, but I don't have a massive issue with it, for at least a couple days local Governments failed to clear protestors in a timely manner, so there comes a point where this becomes necessary.
And, to be clear, this is not a left/right thing, I say the same thing about BLM protests, Trump protests, etc... Anytime a local government fails to disband a protest in a quick manner, higher powers need to intervene. This is why we have different levels of government to take out people who are disrupting local levels of government, and there is not a proper local reaction.

The act was modified after 9/11.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin