In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 18th, 2022 at 10:15:30 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
The Elon Musk Jet acct on Twitter will simply track his new plane or new tail number

https://www.salon.com/2022/03/19/elon-musks-jet-the-twitter-account-that-uses-a-bot-to-track-musk-in-flight/

I was under the impression when you set up a new tail number you could opt out of the public ABS info.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 18th, 2022 at 10:39:39 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
There was a way to block some of the movements of planes from becoming public; I remember that Jimmy Buffett did not want to be tracked by his fans. I think there are ways to beat the system because of ATC communications since everyone has to make those when flying. They can scrape data from those recordings, among other methods of tracking movement.

He may want rid of the site that tracks him but I don’t think that is worth $43 billion to him. It would be possible for him to get rid of that person if he owned it, but the guy could put the info elsewhere.

I guess it makes a good talking point but I think there is more to it than that…
April 18th, 2022 at 3:31:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Musk buying Twitter would make no difference to me, I am mostly amused by the right viewing him as a savior after hating him for years.

The right has been bashing him for years because of his view on climate change, but I guess they think he will unban Trump if he buys Twitter? And, that makes it worth it? And, people on the left have loved him for the same, but now are starting to not like him. I have never been a fan, he is basically a career hype man (who often lies) regardless of how much I may agree on any particular issue. Tesla is pretty solid (though even Tesla makes some insane promises, especially since 2019), but most of his other companies are layered in sketch and corruption..... Modern snake oil salesman (though at least snake oil is an actual product, not something you have to give money for and maybe it will be developed at some point....)

I have never had a Twitter account and (probably) never will. I hold the same view I always have, they are a private company and have a right to ban whoever they want. The idea that some on the right think that it should be treated like a public utility is silly (some on here have said this very thing, and right wing in the media have said the same). If Musk becomes a controlling party and unbans everyone great, if somebody else does and bans everyone great. Either way that is their right.

Saying that you have the right to free speech on Twitter is like saying you have a right to free speech on here or WOV (there are very strict rules, and people who break them get banned or at least suspended).

You have a right to free speech on public property, you do not have the right to free speech using any private service or private spaces. And, private spaces can be as strict or lax as they want, and in no way is either for or against free speech. the 1st Amendment only protects you from government persecution for outrageous statements and views, it does not protect you from being kicked out of a private establishment for being obnoxious.

If you do not like the rules on Twitter, its quite simple don't join or quit. (Even if you like the rules maybe consider quitting and all social media for that matter, people would be surprised how liberating cutting off social media is)....
April 18th, 2022 at 5:33:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The one issue with free speech I have that I haven't seen anyone bring up, is foreign countries should be required to be identified whenever they put out a message. Especially political issues. I'm not against them saying whatever they want but they shouldn't impersonate Americans when they do it. Nor should they be able to communicate anonymously on our social media.

We have enough issues with our own differences without having people or bots pretending to be us.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2022 at 5:46:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
The one issue with free speech I have that I haven't seen anyone bring up, is foreign countries should be required to be identified whenever they put out a message. Especially political issues. I'm not against them saying whatever they want but they shouldn't impersonate Americans when they do it. Nor should they be able to communicate anonymously on our social media.

We have enough issues with our own differences without having people or bots pretending to be us.

I am not sure that I agree with that. Are you speaking foreign citizens (like everyone would have to verify which country they are a citizen of)? Or actual government entities?

I have no issue with either if a site wanted to implement it on their own as a condition of membership. But, I think that the (U.S.) government mandating that all sites do would be getting into hazy legal territory.
April 18th, 2022 at 5:51:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I don't tweet, but it might be sensible for all tweets to show the country from which the tweet originated.

You know, next to the tweeters handle identify the country, in parentheses.
April 18th, 2022 at 5:58:22 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
I enjoy hearing some on the left complaining about the possibility of Elon Musk buying Twitter. They complain that it is going to take away their right to free speech.

Didn’t we already decide that there is no current right to free speech on social media platforms since the government does not own or control them?

Yes, tell EB. He made this mistake a couple weeks ago.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 18th, 2022 at 8:03:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
I am not sure that I agree with that. Are you speaking foreign citizens (like everyone would have to verify which country they are a citizen of)? Or actual government entities?

I have no issue with either if a site wanted to implement it on their own as a condition of membership. But, I think that the (U.S.) government mandating that all sites do would be getting into hazy legal territory.

I'm not sure of the legal ramifications or even the best way to implement it. I just think it's not in our best interest to tolerate imposters from other countries misrepresenting themselves as Americans. Otherwise let them enjoy the same free speech rights.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 19th, 2022 at 7:38:12 PM permalink
rxwine
I always wondered how often people stopped and messed with a broken down car on the highway, but never thought of this.

They estimate he stole 56 vehicles.

Quote:
Bullitt County Sheriff Walt Sholar said Lee would travel the interstates looking for cars that had broken down or been involved in accidents. He would then load them onto his trailer and sell them for scrap. It was a single tip, Sholar said, that pointed police in his direction.

And it didn't take long to make an arrest.

This week, police went to Amen Auto Parts & Scrap Metal Recycling to ask about a Cadillac stolen out of Louisville. And Lee was there, they say, trying to sell another stolen vehicle.

https://www.wlky.com/article/bullitt-county-man-stole-cars-interstate-sold-scrap/38698848#
April 20th, 2022 at 5:42:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
Musk buying Twitter would make no difference to me, I am mostly amused by the right viewing him as a savior after hating him for years.

The right has been bashing him for years because of his view on climate change, but I guess they think he will unban Trump if he buys Twitter? And, that makes it worth it? And, people on the left have loved him for the same, but now are starting to not like him. I have never been a fan, he is basically a career hype man (who often lies) regardless of how much I may agree on any particular issue. Tesla is pretty solid (though even Tesla makes some insane promises, especially since 2019), but most of his other companies are layered in sketch and corruption..... Modern snake oil salesman (though at least snake oil is an actual product, not something you have to give money for and maybe it will be developed at some point....)

I have never had a Twitter account and (probably) never will. I hold the same view I always have, they are a private company and have a right to ban whoever they want. The idea that some on the right think that it should be treated like a public utility is silly (some on here have said this very thing, and right wing in the media have said the same). If Musk becomes a controlling party and unbans everyone great, if somebody else does and bans everyone great. Either way that is their right.

Saying that you have the right to free speech on Twitter is like saying you have a right to free speech on here or WOV (there are very strict rules, and people who break them get banned or at least suspended).

You have a right to free speech on public property, you do not have the right to free speech using any private service or private spaces. And, private spaces can be as strict or lax as they want, and in no way is either for or against free speech. the 1st Amendment only protects you from government persecution for outrageous statements and views, it does not protect you from being kicked out of a private establishment for being obnoxious.

If you do not like the rules on Twitter, its quite simple don't join or quit. (Even if you like the rules maybe consider quitting and all social media for that matter, people would be surprised how liberating cutting off social media is)....

WTF
DeSantis is just a Governor of one state
No doubt he views himself as King DeSantis
Republican governors now think they have the right to make business decisions for international companies simply due to politics.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/desantis-hold-twitter-board-accountable-musk-buyout-bid.amp
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"