In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 18th, 2022 at 3:59:32 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Yes, I'd prefer a MODERATE conservative to any of the known democratic contenders.

It would be great to have a truly "best and the brightest" candidate run on either party ticket.

Ah, Camelot...
June 18th, 2022 at 4:06:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, I'd prefer a MODERATE conservative to any of the known democratic contenders.

It would be great to have a truly "best and the brightest" candidate run on either party ticket.

Ah, Camelot...

Unfortunately, the moderate conservatives have left the building. Certainly, any that have a national chance.

Even on the left, Biden is about the most centrist Democrat that you can probably find, which is what I find shocking about the disdain of him by the right (I can understand why somebody like Bernie or AOC triggers them), but Biden is so centrist (if you look at his Senate voting record without his name or party , compared to other Senators in the same time period), he could easily pass as a moderate Republican if you did not know who he was and just his record....
June 18th, 2022 at 5:43:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Ah, Camelot...

You had one from 2017-2021. You hated him.
The President is a fink.
June 18th, 2022 at 6:21:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: AZDuffman
You had one from 2017-2021. You hated him.

Huh?

What was "moderate" about Trump?

Gutting EPA / environmental regs to serve the interests of big business?

How about trying to overthrow the gov't after he got his ass handed to him?
June 18th, 2022 at 11:54:04 PM permalink
Mooseton
Threads: 0
Huh?

1. Not much
2. Who gives a s
3. Wow, your ignorant
June 19th, 2022 at 3:54:53 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
Unfortunately, the moderate conservatives have left the building. Certainly, any that have a national chance.

Even on the left, Biden is about the most centrist Democrat that you can probably find, which is what I find shocking about the disdain of him by the right (I can understand why somebody like Bernie or AOC triggers them), but Biden is so centrist (if you look at his Senate voting record without his name or party , compared to other Senators in the same time period), he could easily pass as a moderate Republican if you did not know who he was and just his record....

Do you really think Biden’s policies as President are “centrist”? He has taken a turn to the left.

I don’t see that at all.
June 19th, 2022 at 12:52:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
She held up the bill for protecting the families of SCOTUS members for a month.

We have a DOJ protesting people for being on the Capitol grounds without entering the building under a Federal statute. They refuse to use a similar statute that covers judges to stop those protesting at homes. One is Trump, one is not. The ones who did stuff the Capitol are different, of course.

I think the existing laws are fine
If protestors are breaking the law, arrest them
If not breaking the law, their right to protest is protected by the constitution
Why should justices or their families get special protections?
This is why we have local law enforcement
Local law enforcement can enforce existing laws
No need to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist
If justice doesn't like somebody protesting on public property, move
If somebody protested me at the last place I owned, I would never see them. I lived on a private road.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 19th, 2022 at 1:47:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Huh?

Raising taxes on the rich.
New trade treaties.
China virus relief payments.

See, you claim to be libertarian and want a "moderate Republican" but when the time comes you vote pure liberal.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2022 at 2:16:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Do you really think Biden’s policies as President are “centrist”? He has taken a turn to the left.

I don’t see that at all.

Yes, he is basically a center Republican.

I can virtually guarantee if you were just given a Senate voting record from him and three Center-leaning GOP senators from the same period/term in the 1970s, 1980s and the 1990s in a serious of multiple-choice questions (where you see the voting record on bills from that year and pick which is Biden) you would not be able to identify Biden (besides the margin of getting lucky on some 1/4 after all)....

I mean there is a reason he is not popular, the right thinks he is the head of some grand conspiracy, and the left thinks he is a centrist sellout....

Now, he has progressed on some issues since 2019, in fact if you look at his political summary you will see 2012 and 2019 are the two years that had the most changes to his positions and we can probably make assumptions as to why.....

However, his senate career, he may as well have been a Republican (especially on social issues....)

I mean even just look at his wiki summary page of his history to get an idea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Joe_Biden#:~:text=Over%20his%20career%2C%20Biden%20has,or%20the%20Green%20New%20Deal.
June 19th, 2022 at 2:17:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: AZDuffman
See, you claim to be libertarian and want a "moderate Republican" but when the time comes you vote pure liberal.

A damnable lie.

Ihave ALWAYS voted Libertarian in presidential elections except I did vote for McGovern because of 'Nam.

Otherwise no, I've not voted for a Democrat nor a Republican for President.

You seem to know differently, so "prove me wrong."