In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 20th, 2022 at 10:55:47 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I know I don’t have to actually go to the border to know what is happening. The problem is that the people that do that for us—the news media—are largely absent.

We know more about the Afghan situation because they were there.

Not covering a story does not mean it isn’t happening.
June 20th, 2022 at 12:12:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
I know I don’t have to actually go to the border to know what is happening. The problem is that the people that do that for us—the news media—are largely absent.

If foxnews is not all over the border then it must not be newsworthy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 20th, 2022 at 12:30:25 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
If foxnews is not all over the border then it must not be newsworthy

It’s an election year, I’m sure they’re busing cooking up a “caravan” story right about now.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 20th, 2022 at 2:12:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
It’s an election year, I’m sure they’re busing cooking up a “caravan” story right about now.

It's weird
Foxnews doesn't cover the border enough and Ronc will never complain about foxnews coverage
CNN doesn't cover the border enough and Ronc has a fit and comes on here to complain
I don't watch either. Nothing to complain about for me :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 20th, 2022 at 2:32:11 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
It’s weird. Those same two comment all the time while contributing nothing to the conversation.

You’d think they’d know what they were talking about and present an opinion on the issues; instead they talk about my posts.

I ignore them mostly…I had some spare time this weekend and I find no reason to unblock them for the time I don’t want to bother.
June 20th, 2022 at 2:34:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

Except you said to go to Texas and see the border for yourself (I have several times, I have even been the border patrol museum). Looking at the border does not change your perspective. And, this is a common right wing talking point, "X has not even come to look at the border yet". I just don't understand this perspective. I even saw this the other day in an interview, where Dan Crenshaw was asked a question about border crossing numbers in relation to a Tweet he made, and his response (to the reporter) was , "How many times have you visited the border?", as if this was some sort of ultimate gotcha. And, he is one of the more normal Republicans still around....

We know a lot about the border, more than Afghanistan. There is a lot of data and media coverage. Much of it directly from the government. The media covers it when there is something to cover, people attempt to cross every day (every hour), are they just supposed to sit at the border and film?
June 20th, 2022 at 3:22:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Except you said to go to Texas and see the border for yourself (I have several times, I have even been the border patrol museum). Looking at the border does not change your perspective.

That is because you have to look at the border towns, not the border itself. Schools, hospitals, and social services overrun with illegal aliens. El Paso might as well be part of Mexico for example.

Just let us keep Rose's Cantina.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2022 at 3:56:42 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
It’s weird. Those same two comment all the time while contributing nothing to the conversation.

You’d think they’d know what they were talking about and present an opinion on the issues; instead they talk about my posts.

I ignore them mostly…I had some spare time this weekend and I find no reason to unblock them for the time I don’t want to bother.

This is like RonC post #1,956 discussing how he pretends to ignore me and terapined.

But we’re the ones who don’t contribute anything to the conversion. 😉
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 20th, 2022 at 4:00:04 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
That is because you have to look at the border towns, not the border itself. Schools, hospitals, and social services overrun with illegal aliens. El Paso might as well be part of Mexico for example.

Just let us keep Rose's Cantina.

That is a very ignorant statement. El Paso is one of the safest cities in America, and it is across the border from one of the most dangerous cities in the world (Juarez). Most years it is in the top five safest cities (of over 500k), and in some categories and years the very top.

If anything, this is proof of how effective enforcement is in El Paso for such a safe city to be just divided from Juarez by the Rio Grande and a wall. Its like night and day as far as safety.

El Paso can be a fun city, but, unless you are feeling very adventurous, I would not advise crossing into Mexico from El Paso (or you will end up in one of the worst areas almost immediately).

And, what makes it even more unique is it is one of the poorest cities in America. So for such a city with such high poverty, across the border from one of the most dangerous cities in the world, to be just about the safest city in America makes it truly unique.

https://advisorsmith.com/data/safest-cities-in-america/

https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/24a57125-75ad-473b-b1bc-190280d20573
June 21st, 2022 at 2:50:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
That is a very ignorant statement. El Paso is one of the safest cities in America, and it is across the border from one of the most dangerous cities in the world (Juarez). Most years it is in the top five safest cities (of over 500k), and in some categories and years the very top.

It has been overrun and turned to a city that is no longer American but Mexican. It is proof of replacement theory for that matter.
The President is a fink.