In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 1st, 2022 at 12:21:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Nope, I tell people I'm Libertarian because it makes me look thinner: easier than wearing black all the time.

Actually the reason I say it is because that is how I always vote, whenever there is that option.

Other than voting, my views and opinions are too complex to neatly fit inside one label, but that one is the closest fit.

You. It’s that way but hate when a POTUS governs that way.
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2022 at 3:17:48 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
You. It’s that way but hate when a POTUS governs that way.

I am in favor of less government intrusion, but mindful regulation is necessary: Trump believed in scorching the earth, all to support big business.

I believe the biggest problem with American politics today is that gobs of money come from special interest groups: change the law to allow only individuals to contribute, and cap total contributions at five grand per person.

That would level the playing field and help put democracy back in the hands of the people.

Politicians would never support it, for obvious reasons.
October 1st, 2022 at 3:52:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I am in favor of less government intrusion, but mindful regulation is necessary: Trump believed in scorching the earth, all to support big business.

Really? Seems more like he did not measure "good" by number of pages of regulation,

Quote:
believe the biggest problem with American politics today is that gobs of money come from special interest groups: change the law to allow only individuals to contribute, and cap total contributions at five grand per person.

While places like The Sierra Club do what you say I am sorry but corporations are people. You do not lose your right to free speech because you are a group not an individual.

Quote:
That would level the playing field and help put democracy back in the hands of the people.

You think democracy was once in the hand of the people? That is so cute!
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2022 at 4:40:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Despite what the Supremes said, the reality is corps are NOT people.

They're treated as such, and that needs to change, as do campaign finance laws.
October 1st, 2022 at 5:09:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Despite what the Supremes said, the reality is corps are NOT people.

They're treated as such, and that needs to change, as do campaign finance laws.

How are they not? Really, how. Please support your position with logic not liberal rhetoric.

If they are not people, what are they?

Are you saying a corporation has no right to due process?
No right to property?
No right to be innocent until proven guilty?
Are you saying that corporations have no right to free speech? That newspapers have no right to publish?

Come on. Lets hear you defend your position. This is not Monty Python where you can just say "no, it isn't."

Campaign finance laws do need to be changed. Changed to anyone being allowed to donate anything as long as donors are disclosed.
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2022 at 6:48:15 PM permalink
missedhervee
Humans are corporeal beings.

Corporations are artificial constructs, incorporeal and not alive.

Only a fool would confuse a corporation with a living person.

It is a shame that the law in its desire to kow tow to big money treats corps as if they have some of the rights of people but that needs to change.

They're artificial entities; people are real.
October 1st, 2022 at 9:49:02 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.yahoo.com/news/127-soccer-fans-police-killed-002644084.html
At least 129 dead and 180 injured after a riot breaks out at a soccer match in Indonesia
They reportedly have the most passionate fans in the world. That's saying something considering it's a sport with passionate fans in most countries
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2022 at 2:38:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Humans are corporeal beings.

Corporations are artificial constructs, incorporeal and not alive.

So you are saying corporations somehow exist without humans? That they do for themselves? Kind of like guns who kill people on their own?

Quote:
Only a fool would confuse a corporation with a living person.

No, only a fool does not understand that corporations are just groups of living people working in unison,

Quote:
It is a shame that the law in its desire to kow tow to big money treats corps as if they have some of the rights of people but that needs to change.

They're artificial entities; people are real.

You do not lose your rights just because you work in a group. Corporations are people. Until you show me a corporation that became to exist without people you cannot prove otherwise.
The President is a fink.
October 2nd, 2022 at 6:18:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
So you are saying corporations somehow exist without humans? That they do for themselves? Kind of like guns who kill people on their own?

Sure, if you take away all the people the corporation doesn't exist. But if you dissolve a corporation, the people still exist. So, they're not the same thing.

Also, you can't own people. Or part of a person like a shareholder.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 2nd, 2022 at 7:55:44 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
Sure, if you take away all the people the corporation doesn't exist. But if you dissolve a corporation, the people still exist. So, they're not the same thing.

Also, you can't own people. Or part of a person like a shareholder.

You can’t LEGALLY own people. Important distinction. Oh crap, I made the list.