In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 30th, 2023 at 9:52:53 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
There are good cops
But not good enough to turn in bad cops
Only really good and brave citizens put away bad cops.
Good cops always look the other way which means they ain't so good, just good enough, but not more good then a good citizen putting away a bad cop.

Let’s say you are 100% correct. What is your solution?
January 30th, 2023 at 10:39:44 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There are no good cops. There are mediocre cops. And there are tons of horrible cops.

In order to want to be a cop in 2023, you have to fail in so many other areas of life.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 30th, 2023 at 11:48:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Let’s say you are 100% correct. What is your solution?

Stronger laws allowing the public to record the police on video.
Republican state legislatures have been moving in the opposite direction
Cops still harass citizens for filming them
Look on YouTube
Failing a 1st amendment audit is very very common.
Shows most law enforcement officers don't even know the law. It's really shocking how many officers fail.
We need way better training.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2023 at 12:50:57 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Stronger laws allowing the public to record the police on video.
Republican state legislatures have been moving in the opposite direction
Cops still harass citizens for filming them
Look on YouTube
Failing a 1st amendment audit is very very common.
Shows most law enforcement officers don't even know the law. It's really shocking how many officers fail.
We need way better training.

Once again, not disagreeing with anything you said….. but you don’t think these five officers weren’t trained to not beat the shit out of an unarmed young man? I’m trying to figure out wha additional training would actually help.
I didn’t know there were any laws preventing you from filming a cop making an arrest (or beat down!).

I am of the opinion that no matter how much you try, there will always be an egregious outlier incident like this one. Prosecute the perpetrators.

I am having a tough time arguing with ams’ point that there is something wrong with becoming a cop nowadays. But you can never convince me that OVERALL, having cops is a huge benefit for public safety, this terrible example notwithstanding.
January 30th, 2023 at 1:16:46 PM permalink
terapined
Once again, not disagreeing with anything you said….. but you don’t think these five officers weren’t trained to not beat the shit out of an unarmed young man? I’m trying to figure out wha additional training would actually help.
I didn’t know there were any laws preventing you from filming a cop making an arrest (or beat down!).

I am of the opinion that no matter how much you try, there will always be an egregious outlier incident like this one. Prosecute the perpetrators.

I am having a tough time arguing with ams’ point that there is something wrong with becoming a cop nowadays. But you can never convince me that OVERALL, having cops is a huge benefit for public safety, this terrible example notwithstanding.

No more BS traffic stops
The offense has to be clearly seen on the dash video or you cant stop a car
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2023 at 1:44:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I’m assuming you are being sarcastic. Most cops I’m sure go to work everyday with the general idea of doing their job which in most cases is for the overall public good. Where we can argue is what percentage of cops are like the Memphis 5? Is it less than 1%? Between 1 and 5%? More? If you are talking inner big city cops, my (totally ill-informed) guess is near 1% would do a total beat down on a citizen for essentially no reason.

What I don’t want to see happen is more handcuffing of the other 99% of cops so that the public is OVERALL less safe. As I’ve been typing this there is likely another dead black man in one of our inner cities that no one will care about.

I have no answer for how to stop the Memphis killing.
Just as I have no answer for the daily killings in Chicago.

But I do know many of the ‘solutions’ make things worse, not better.

Like most things involving power or money you need independent auditors. In case of cops, you need someone showing up who doesn't need to depend on other cops to watch his back. The street cop wants other cops to watch his back if he's in trouble and cops not trusting each other might make it difficult for someone who goes and turns in fellow cops. So, asking other cops to possibly put their own safety in danger to report bad cops is a bad idea, IMO.

Make that requirement an independent job from the street cops.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 30th, 2023 at 2:15:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
No more BS traffic stops
The offense has to be clearly seen on the dash video or you cant stop a car

I’ve been stopped for speeding a few times in my life. I’ve complied with whatever demands/commands the officer made. Stated my case and either got a written ticket or a warning. Are you saying cops should not be able to stop a motorist who they find speeding or running a red light or otherwise driving erratically? I don’t think I agree with you. I think they shouldn’t be able either o beat you to death for a traffic offense. But not to be able to stop you for one of those offenses? Should we eliminate speed limits? Eliminate drunk driving laws? How do you police for drunk driving if you can’t stop someone for a ‘BS traffic stop’?
January 30th, 2023 at 2:20:13 PM permalink
terapined
I’ve been stopped for speeding a few times in my life. I’ve complied with whatever demands/commands the officer made. Stated my case and either got a written ticket or a warning. Are you saying cops should not be able to stop a motorist who they find speeding or running a red light or otherwise driving erratically? I don’t think I agree with you. I think they shouldn’t be able either o beat you to death for a traffic offense. But not to be able to stop you for one of those offenses? Should we eliminate speed limits? Eliminate drunk driving laws? How do you police for drunk driving if you can’t stop someone for a ‘BS traffic stop’?

All these offenses should be obvious on the dash video
January 30th, 2023 at 6:02:00 PM permalink
SOOPOO
All these offenses should be obvious on the dash video

I know your intentions are good. I just can’t imagine the training…. ‘If you see a traffic violation please check your dash am before taking any action. If the infraction occurred outside of the camera’s view, please ignore it.’ Your suggestion will hamstring law enforcement to the point that they will be ineffective at …..LAW ENFORCEMENT!

Who would want to be a cop today?
January 30th, 2023 at 6:05:31 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
We'll eventually have to triple police pay because not too many will be willing to perform at the current rate and risk.