In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 3rd, 2016 at 5:49:35 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Face
Seems pretty obvious, though I wonder if there are any ways to benefit from it.

I know when my blood is up, I already feel "pressured". I know I get the floaty spots and my vision blurs in pace with my heart rate, especially during a big push like the final minutes of a tourney. Were I to wear a turtle neck at that time, I'd probably pass out lol. And I dunno about you, but that type of stuff always gives me a headache.

I wonder why they've never done what seems the obvious thing and just made things softer. We're already very familiar with how much a difference in the rate of deceleration has on injuries. It's the entire reason for things like crumple zones, soft walls, etc. Perhaps making helmets out of some sort of foam instead of rigid polys would assist. Ditto that for neck supports like neck rolls, HANS-type devices, etc.

Of course, perhaps we should just go balls out. Something's got to offset modern medicine and start taking us out before we become a drain on society =p

I was just reading about some leading edge concussion research in the paper this morning. This team had been studying woodpeckers to try and find out why they don't get concussions. What they found is the woodpecker restricts the main vein in the head when jabbing to increase the blood pressure in the head. This adds a little more blood to the head and it is this blood that cushions the brain from the inside.

Maybe you need to put on that turtle neck and increase the amount blood in your head for protection Face.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 4th, 2016 at 3:11:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It seems Alaska, Seattle's home airline, has agreed to a merger with Virgin America.

My big question is: are a bunch of A320s about to hit the used plane market?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2016 at 5:05:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Any theories why this dog attacked and killed its owner who raised it from puppyhood?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/florida-woman-mauled-killed-own-dog/nqxk3/?icmp=cmgcontent_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_morepopularheadlines2

I totally get owners occasionally getting bit by their own dog for one reason or other, but this would be a continued aggressive attack.

The dog either went crazy, or it was actually able to make up its mind to off its owner --perhaps for the owner's cruelty. Still that seems like a complex decision to process.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2016 at 5:41:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

The dog either went crazy,.

I avoid all pit bulls, I don't trust
them. I feel like could turn on
you in a second. I bet an autopsy
would show the dog was sick.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 5th, 2016 at 9:44:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Any theories why this dog attacked and killed its owner who raised it from puppyhood?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/florida-woman-mauled-killed-own-dog/nqxk3/?icmp=cmgcontent_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_morepopularheadlines2

I totally get owners occasionally getting bit by their own dog for one reason or other, but this would be a continued aggressive attack.

The dog either went crazy, or it was actually able to make up its mind to off its owner --perhaps for the owner's cruelty. Still that seems like a complex decision to process.

Pit bulls supposedly have the strongest tendency to view something as prey, whatever you call that trait. 100 lb. dog ; could have weighed the same as the woman or close to it.

Combine that with the likelihood that the owner was an idiot when it comes to disciplining a dog. There is an expression, "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners".

I'll even stick my neck out and say women are the most likely to have the wrong approach with a dog - that's bigoted, but I have to say it has been my observation over the years.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 5th, 2016 at 10:55:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Paypal just announced that they are getting out of North Carolina due to the anti-LGBT bill
NC just kissed goodbye 400 jobs
The Republican party used to be the pro business party
Now they are the anti-business party
Amazing
Times have changed, years ago the California gay marriage prop only got support from 5 companies
The anti-LGBT law in NC is a problem due to hundreds of companies want the law repealed
Will the Republican party change and support what is best for business.
Or will they continue to be anti-business and pass anti-LGBT laws and deal with lost jobs in their state?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 5th, 2016 at 11:03:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Or will the continue to be anti-business and pass anti-LGBT laws and deal with lost jobs in their state?

They could pass an amendment forbidding private companies from offering benefits or any workplace protections to LGBT people. That ought to make them want to stick around.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 5th, 2016 at 3:35:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Paypal just announced that they are getting out of North Carolina due to the anti-LGBT bill
NC just kissed goodbye 400 jobs
The Republican party used to be the pro business party
Now they are the anti-business party
Amazing
Times have changed, years ago the California gay marriage prop only got support from 5 companies
The anti-LGBT law in NC is a problem due to hundreds of companies want the law repealed
Will the Republican party change and support what is best for business.
Or will they continue to be anti-business and pass anti-LGBT laws and deal with lost jobs in their state?

Not the fault of the gop that several intolerant, bigoted companies are against personal freedom. Time to stand up against the hate of the gay movement.
The President is a fink.
April 5th, 2016 at 3:49:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Not the fault of the gop that several intolerant, bigoted companies are against personal freedom. Time to stand up against the hate of the gay movement.

Several????? LOL
Hundreds of companies have come out against the bill in NC
How many companies have come out and publicly supported the law?
Hmm, I hear a large empty echo
Its a law that's anti business
Is it your view that NC is better off without the jobs?
You would think that Republicans want more jobs, not less
Paypal jobs were not akin to burger flipper wages, these were good jobs
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 5th, 2016 at 5:00:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Several????? LOL
Hundreds of companies have come out against the bill in NC
How many companies have come out and publicly supported the law?
Hmm, I hear a large empty echo
Its a law that's anti business
Is it your view that NC is better off without the jobs?
You would think that Republicans want more jobs, not less
Paypal jobs were not akin to burger flipper wages, these were good jobs

It is not anti-business at all, it it pro-freedom.

It is pro-business in that it states you do not have to do business with someone at the end of a gun.

If gays acted like mature adults it would not be needed. Are you saying gays are anti-business?
The President is a fink.