In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 8th, 2016 at 3:46:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Do you want to force Bruce to perform there, or prevent him from expressing his views?

Why not? Don't you know that personal freedom is about making people conform to your prejudices?

Seriously, there are problems regarding non-discrimination laws. These can be, and should be, discussed openly. But if you grant one vulnerable group protections from discrimination in public spaces and in the workplace, then you have to grant the same protections to all other vulnerable groups.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 8th, 2016 at 3:56:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The same people who want that kind of business freedom shouldn't complain when other cultures don't assimilate, speak English, or anything else when they come to America. Because that would also be taking away freedom.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 8th, 2016 at 4:31:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

Cmon AZ, get on the pro-business bandwagon regarding this issue.

Nah, I'll be the pro-freedom team.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2016 at 4:34:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
The same people who want that kind of business freedom shouldn't complain when other cultures don't assimilate, speak English, or anything else when they come to America. Because that would also be taking away freedom.

They have freedom not to assimilate and I have freedom to complain when they do not. Most people cannot handle freedom it seems.

I am curious when the same forces who are complaining about NC complain elsewhere. When will Coca-Cola pull out of islamic countries for example.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2016 at 6:30:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
Why not? Don't you know that personal freedom is about making people conform to your prejudices?
And that the tabloids have lots of "personal freedom" to kill a career of someone what don't join the lynch mob. Walk into the 'wrong' rest room and smoke while doing it while wearing a tee shirt about 'stop plate tectonics' will get you filleted in the media..... Coca Cola doing business in some remote Kingdom of Ignorant Camel Jockies ain't a media target.
April 8th, 2016 at 6:39:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
They have freedom not to assimilate and I have freedom to complain when they do not. Most people cannot handle freedom it seems.

But it's your side that's against freedom to use the bathroom of choice, and your side that tries to pass "English Only" laws. That's not setting an example of freedom.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2016 at 5:17:19 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Fleastiff
And that the tabloids have lots of "personal freedom" to kill a career of someone what don't join the lynch mob. Walk into the 'wrong' rest room and smoke while doing it while wearing a tee shirt about 'stop plate tectonics' will get you filleted in the media..... Coca Cola doing business in some remote Kingdom of Ignorant Camel Jockies ain't a media target.

My wife has a sweatshirt with "stop plate tectonics" on it.

She was somewhat shocked and disappointed by the number of people on a college campus who asked her "what's that?"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 9th, 2016 at 5:18:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
But it's your side that's against freedom to use the bathroom of choice, and your side that tries to pass "English Only" laws. That's not setting an example of freedom.

Choosing to break a rule is not freedom. If a business wants to put a sign on their restroom saying "Women, but men welcome as well" then they may do so. The law is about letting a business set their own standard. Men and women in the correct restroom or a free-for-all. If you want to have a business where women feel more safe you are free to do so. If you want to cater to men who want to use the ladies room you can do that also. Freedom.

And there is nothing un-free about English-only. All said laws do is let a business demand what their employees speak on the job and also state that if you want to do business with the government then it will be done in English. Where is there a lack of freedom?

As I said, and this board seems to be a good example, more and more people sadly cannot handle freedom. Something as simple as using the right bathroom and they prefer government tyranny.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2016 at 7:09:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

And there is nothing un-free about English-only. All said laws do is let a business demand what their employees speak on the job and also state that if you want to do business with the government then it will be done in English. Where is there a lack of freedom?

That's no more free than using the law to demand they offer English and Spanish. Funny you can't see it.

And you're the one who wants to check the junk of people entering the bathroom. That doesn't sound like freedom either.
April 9th, 2016 at 7:50:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
That's no more free than using the law to demand they offer English and Spanish. Funny you can't see it.

Well, there is the difference that english is the de facto language of the USA had has been since before the nation existed. It is a burden to force any entity to add a language. Making an english-only law just protects entities from lawsuits, a good thing.

Quote:
And you're the one who wants to check the junk of people entering the bathroom. That doesn't sound like freedom either.

When did I say I want to check people's junk? I am saying force people to use the right restroom. So far I have never had to whip it out before I enter a men's room. What I am saying is if a business catches a guy in the ladies room the bouncers can boot him from the place, they can boot him off his feet, and they can use his head to open the door. Then next time he will understand there is something more scary than using the right restroom.

The fact that we have to make a law protecting businesses that force people to use the right restroom and the fact that so many people are upset about it is a flashing red light of the culture rot that is the USA in the 2000s. Just one more sign of cultural collapse.
The President is a fink.