In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 9th, 2016 at 8:19:58 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman

The fact that we have to make a law protecting businesses that force people to use the right restroom and the fact that so many people are upset about it is a flashing red light of the culture rot that is the USA in the 2000s. Just one more sign of cultural collapse.

"We" don't HAVE to make that law. You, and NC, are very mistaken about that; you're making a choice to send a message of exclusion via legislation. Laws are hardly ever made to stop the law-proposer from doing something; they're made to stop others from doing something the law-proposer disapproves of.

Sad enough that the Right "needs" to legislate people's bedrooms and women's bodies; now you're legislating bathrooms? Absurd. Women's bathrooms have stalls, and privacy; those dressed as women, regardless of equippage, can use a stall and comfortably come and go without junkage inspection, also not unduly disturbing other occupants. Nearly all men's rooms have at least one stall as well, providing the same type of privacy. What more needs to be done on a practical level? Nothing. Which makes this about judgment and condemnation, not about "rights".

As to cultural collapse, this kind of intrusion is the type of rudeness that leads to collapse, much more than the practice of mutual privacy and respect.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 9th, 2016 at 8:36:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
"We" don't HAVE to make that law. You, and NC, are very mistaken about that; you're making a choice to send a message of exclusion via legislation. Laws are hardly ever made to stop the law-proposer from doing something; they're made to stop others from doing something the law-proposer disapproves of.

Funny, the left wants to legislate my bedroom and where I keep my loaded gun. As well they want to say I can be sued for turning down business I do not want to do (e.g.: if I decline to deal at a gay wedding I can be sued.) But yes, I disapprove of a man being able to sue because he could not use the ladies room.

Quote:
Women's bathrooms have stalls, and privacy; those dressed as women, regardless of equippage, can use a stall and comfortably come and go without junkage inspection, also not unduly disturbing other occupants. Nearly all men's rooms have at least one stall as well, providing the same type of privacy. What more needs to be done on a practical level? Nothing. Which makes this about judgment and condemnation, not about "rights".

Fine, then let the owner of the business decide what policy he wants.

Quote:
As to cultural collapse, this kind of intrusion is the type of rudeness that leads to collapse, much more than the practice of mutual privacy and respect.

Mutual respect is saying that all sides have rights, not just one side. What I find crazy is that the left has no problem legislating bathrooms or bedrooms but then they act all high and mighty when someone says they do not like what the left demands.

BTW: what is a nice vacation spot in NC? They are now higher up on places I would want to visit.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2016 at 8:57:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Dalex64
My wife has a sweatshirt with "stop plate tectonics" on it.
She was somewhat shocked and disappointed by the number of people on a college campus who asked her "what's that?"
How about the rent a cop at a shopping mall who had been told to ban people wearing political tee shirts.
April 9th, 2016 at 9:00:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
How about the rent a cop at a shopping mall who had been told to ban people wearing political tee shirts.

That happened near Albany in 2003. I tried to convince a guy that free speech is about the government and not on private property. These days half the malls are ghost towns anyways.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2016 at 10:49:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

BTW: what is a nice vacation spot in NC? They are now higher up on places I would want to visit.

North Carolina lost Bruce Springsteen but got AZ
LOL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 9th, 2016 at 11:48:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
These days half the malls are ghost towns anyways.
Yeah, several sites are 'mall deathwatches' but it seems Mexican Malls (a generic term for a Hispanic Sunday Go To Meeting Malls) are booming. I thought the people who said malls would disappear and tax bases would erode due to Amazon were fools.
April 9th, 2016 at 11:59:24 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Yeah, several sites are 'mall deathwatches'

The two big malls here opened in 1967.
It was a giant event and they were popular
for decades. I only go because the DMV
is in one of them. 60% of the stores are
closed, and lots of teens wandering around.
I don't know how they stay in business.
All I can figure is, the mortgages were paid
off long ago and they make enough
from the stores that are there to still turn
a profit.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2016 at 12:17:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Yeah, several sites are 'mall deathwatches' but it seems Mexican Malls (a generic term for a Hispanic Sunday Go To Meeting Malls) are booming. I thought the people who said malls would disappear and tax bases would erode due to Amazon were fools.

Mexican culture is different that way. When I first moved to AZ I was told how out there on a Saturday morning you cannot get near a coin-op car wash for all the Mexican families washing the family ride. In college a case study said family grocery shopping trips were a big thing.

I don't think it is so much just amazon per se. Shopping for sport faded in the 1990s. You used to go to the mall to kill time, walk around. But the internet gave more entertainment options as did more and more sports channels. Mall stores like Merry-Go-Round went out of business before the internet even got big. Big Box places took more and more away, too.

Until yesterday I worked in a dead mall. They are revitalizing it, a little sad I will not see what it becomes. The artist renditions look neat. All offices, with co-working space coming soon. That is where I see the future of many malls. Mixed use. There will not again soon be enough specialty retail to go around.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2016 at 12:36:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Our local mall is probably 80% ever changing names of clothes stores. 99% of the time I am not looking for clothes. It doesn't look like it's dying but it's usually not super busy either, unless it's around Christmas.

If I go there, it's usually Sears or Starbucks, or maybe the food court.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2016 at 12:47:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't know if its a weather thing but malls do quite well down here in Tampa
I live by Citrus Park mall and its always quite busy. I go there for food and starbucks
Not to far away near the airport is the top mall in the area , International Plaza that is also quite bustling. It attracts a lot of high end business with many high end restaurants attached and surrounding the mall.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"