In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 13th, 2017 at 9:04:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Quote: AZDuffman
More than 5,000 out-of-state voters may have tipped New Hampshire against Trump

For those who wonder why I am so against same-day voter registrations!

This was debunked like an hour after the right wing blogosphere jumped on it.

But we get it, Donald's ego is fragile. He needs you guys to keep pretending he got more votes than he did.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/12/bill-gardner-trump-voter-fraud-panel-242593

Its amazing we have a Putin lackey for President that cant deal with the reality of the number of votes he got
It really concerns me that we have a President that believes in fantasies and cant deal with real world facts.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 13th, 2017 at 10:54:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This is the main reason I hate FL.
The air goes off and people can't
live there. LOL

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article173009151.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 13th, 2017 at 12:16:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
This is the main reason I hate FL.
The air goes off and people can't
live there. LOL

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article173009151.html
At least they haven't blamed the unions yet for the lengthy outage. That will come when FPL can lower the manpower to local help only, and can send away the travelling lineman that have come from as far as California and Canada. Not even a mention of the guys pulling hundred hour shifts.

Guys travel thousands of miles to make this blood money, but accommodations are often minimal. Surviving on local fare, or Beenie Weenies out of a can. Yum.

It's usually on the drive home, when the reports come out of how bad the union help was and overpaid, yada yada. Apparently in some cases lineman aren't supposed to need rest or bowel movements, which after being up and working for 3-4 days non stop, is often the case. Never stop long enough to digest any food, so it builds a big blockage in the intestines that's hard to get rid of. People can get pretty rude with the men when they have been without power for days, saying some nasty stuff.

The storm crews I've been on usually work 100 out of every 120 hours. Everybody ought to try that sometime, and try to retain their composure, and try not to get electrocuted while doing so.

One of the last storms I worked I had to laugh. We pulled up to a guys house and he came out to talk with us. He said, "I can go longer without electricity, but you have got to get this tv running for the kids", they are really suffering. lol
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 13th, 2017 at 12:35:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
The storm crews I've been on usually work 100 out of every 120 hours.

Some power guys I've talked to say
they don't give a rats ass that people
are off the grid. It's that the electric
company is losing thousands or
tens of thousands, or in this case,
millions a day in revenue because
the meters aren't spinning. That's their
main concern.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 13th, 2017 at 6:08:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Some power guys I've talked to say
they don't give a rats ass that people
are off the grid.
The workers are just as likely to help someone make a system work, as try to prevent someone from going independent, or even desire themselves, to be off grid. Many people in remote places where I have lived are living off grid. It is often a work in progress and their system requires maintenance. For a sufficient plug in and forget system, even for residential, you are talking a lot of money.
I've met people who sell and install home systems and people that have them. Some, that are committed to off grid system's, start with this, and end up with that. It's not hard to do, but it is not trouble free. Solar starts degrading the day it is installed. Wind needs wind. Most have to be converted to AC, and need batteries that have a lifespan.

Roof top systems that are so popular in the land of sun, are similar to those big windmills you see along the highway. They wouldn't be there, if it weren't for the government subsidizing the installation. After twenty years, if the solar panels have paid for themselves in electric savings, if still operational, you can count on them producing about half of what they did originally [wag], when the roof itself needs to be replaced. These things are a gimmick .

Quote:
It's that the electric
company is losing thousands or
tens of thousands, or in this case,
millions a day in revenue because
the meters aren't spinning. That's their
main concern.
The rules change in different areas depending on whether the utility is public or private and what kind of public. I was on a project in SE Alaska installing power for people a thousand yards off the main line or more. Some of the trench had to be drilled and blasted. That cost the utility 50 dollars per foot just to dig the trench. The primary cable is 4 dollars per foot. Then the transformer at the end and the secondary cable and the meter. And fixing the trail we blew to hell putting in the cable. Some of the those remote services were 20k or more, all for an installation price to the customer of 15 dollars. Some of them didn't care if they got electricity, but they knew we had to build a road to get the equipment in , so for 15 bucks, they'd take electric as well.

The power company's ceo's hands are tied re; the rules and cost of installation. The bosses in some cases, would much prefer customers go "off grid", before installation. They will never ever recoup the cost of installation. It would have been much cheaper to just give the customers a windmill and a solar panel. Schadenfreude .
September 13th, 2017 at 8:35:34 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Drain the swamp is over , regarding anonymous political donations, and it sounds like Trump has made another deal with the Democrats, one which will lead to citizenship for "dreamers"

Does it look like Trump is the best thing that could have happened for Democrats?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 14th, 2017 at 2:43:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
Drain the swamp is over , regarding anonymous political donations, and it sounds like Trump has made another deal with the Democrats, one which will lead to citizenship for "dreamers"

Does it look like Trump is the best thing that could have happened for Democrats?

When Clinton made deals it was called "triangulation" and the press fawned all over him for it. At the moment the GOP Congress just has themselves to blame. A once in a lifetime chance squandered all because they did not like an outsider coming into their little country club. They told Trump he will never be a member, so he has said "Did you think I wanted to be a member? This whole place sucks!"

Trump is a smart dealmaker. Don't think he is just caving. He makes a few small deals he makes it very hard for them to run against him in 2018.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2017 at 12:10:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
... A once in a lifetime chance squandered all because they did not like an outsider coming into their little country club. They told Trump he will never be a member, so he has said "Did you think I wanted to be a member? This whole place sucks!"
The "deal" is as it always was, Trump doesn't want a membership in the little club. He has probably bought and sold a couple congress members himself over time. The membership Trump wants and will get, is a seat at the Bilderberg table. All this other hoopla is just bread and circus, similar to the half time show at NFL games.

Rah rah, sis boom bah. The wave and all.
September 14th, 2017 at 2:17:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
The "deal" is as it always was, Trump doesn't want a membership in the little club.

Anyone with any real ambition doesn't want in. I would not want in. I just love how the members are not getting it, America does not like their little club. The liberal club down the hall will eventually get the same message.
The President is a fink.
September 15th, 2017 at 9:37:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Several carbon moxide injuries from generators placed too near windows/doors/vents despite all the news commentators yacking about constantly.
Waters still too deep to drive thru.
Don't want any more macaronie and cheese of flax cereal ever.
TVnews commentators are idiots. In rush to put film on the air they are forcing people to watch all day long and hope to catch something about the area/topic they are interested in.
No organization or geographical order.
no common sense.