October 24th, 2017 at 8:35:43 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Bill O
The master spin meister
Now blaming god
ROTFL

"You know, am I mad at God? Yeah, I'm mad at him," O'Reilly said. "I wish I had more protection. I wish this stuff didn't happen. I can't explain it to you. Yeah, I'm mad at him."

Next year's biggest bestseller:

"KILLING O'REILLY'S CAREER"

by God
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 28th, 2017 at 1:02:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
October 28th, 2017 at 1:12:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

I don't object to the report, but they link it to Obama with no proof. There was no finding he ordered anything. How they can complain about slanted news media is irony.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 29th, 2017 at 2:56:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Two women, two dogs rescued by US Navy 900 miles south of Japan after drifting for five months.

Considerable speculation going on that this is a publicity stunt for a soon to appear book or youtube video. However, some admit that a great many people buy a boat and set sail without proper training or experience.
October 29th, 2017 at 4:54:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Two women, two dogs rescued by US Navy 900 miles south of Japan after drifting for five months.

Considerable speculation going on that this is a publicity stunt for a soon to appear book or youtube video. However, some admit that a great many people buy a boat and set sail without proper training or experience.

They weren't emaciated? Why no better skills at fixing stuff, I don't know? Communications breakdown, etc.?https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/10/26/two-american-women-were-lost-at-sea-for-months-then-came-the-navy-and-pure-relief/?utm_term=.e161c3ab7dac

Hope they have lots of pictures of the sharks and storms.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 29th, 2017 at 11:41:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
IF there was a storm dirt in the fuel tank may have been stirred up and clogged the fuel line, but they didn't think of that or know what to do? No storms known to have taken place. No attempt to jury rig a sail. Strange.
I think it was just ignorance not deception but one never knows. Anyway there boat is adrift, hope they find it again.
October 30th, 2017 at 4:05:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

as far as the possibility of a publicity stunt, well, there are some strange things about this story. Of course, the problem could be the stupidity of the reporting. Other problems:

*remarkably spry lady in distress climbs aboard Navy ship on the ladder with a smile like it has all been a lark. Even that she is allowed to climb the ladder is odd.

*they packed enough food to last six months for an anticipated one month of sailing. For two women and two dogs, it would take rationing to make sure they only used the equivalent of one pound of pasta a day [which I can get a handle on by weight, just from doing my own cooking] if, say, they only had pasta. That would be 180 pounds of pasta; the equivalent in rice and oatmeal [which they also had actually]would weigh differently but probably take up the same space in combination.

*that diet would be inadequate; they'd have terrible Scurvy, for example, without supplements. Perhaps the 6 month supply of vitamins will be mentioned later.

*Their fresh water system was apparently world's best! Each creature would need minimum close to a gallon per day, plus cooking and other needs.

*they said a mobile phone went overboard; odd to mention since it would be worthless. Perhaps it was a satellite phone and that got misreported.

*Tahiti is slightly SE of South from Honolulu. OK, well, they were without an engine and the currents took them. But they needed to be able to know how to sail anyway, there is only so much fuel on a sailboat. But the ny times article* I read said they attempted to sail to Tahiti and only used a distress signal after 3 months or so. So they thought they would just drift then?

*one thing I do get, though, is that without the engine working the batteries could not be charged and the GPS system, which they must have been planning to rely on, could not work. Clearly they had no other navigation ability/knowledge, maybe not even a watch or clock to know what time it is [I think with that I would know how to make sure I stayed in the same longitude, having plenty of time to ponder that the sun needs to keep rising and setting at about the same time]. Or the sails were destroyed completely in the storm? Why not mention that?

PS: they'd be eating uncooked pasta, rice, and oatmeal I do have to think. And it seems the strangest part of the story is 3 months or so trying to find Tahiti with zero navigation skills, yet no attempt to send a distress signal in that time. Maybe the reporting got that wrong.

*I have to be careful not to use up my free washington post usage per month and did not read that article
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 30th, 2017 at 6:50:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
as far as the possibility of a publicity stunt, well, there are some strange things about this story. Of course, the problem could be the stupidity of the reporting.
They had a wide variety of food aboard, almost a year's worth. (If it was not a con job, the friend who advised them to take lots of food saved their lives). They also had a solar panel. They had desalination equipment aboard.

On balance, I'd say extremely ignorant sailors.
October 30th, 2017 at 8:13:53 AM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
hahahahahaha pervy Kevin Spacy tying act like everythings cool because hes gay lol!!!

Social media users accuse Kevin Spacey of coming out to excuse alleged sexual advance of Anthony Rapp
October 30th, 2017 at 9:09:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
They also had a solar panel.
I wonder what that was hooked up to? Not the GPS apparently. Don't tell me that they didn't have GPS, that has to be the explanation for this whole thing, that they planned to rely on it and it failed. *Please* don't tell me they thought they could get there without GPS and without learning navigation either.

Quote:
They had desalination equipment aboard.
No doubt, and maybe they could get by if it produced something over a gallon per day. I wouldn't expect them to be so chipper though.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]