In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 16th, 2017 at 9:29:49 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I am not talking about the electoral college this time, I am talking about us congressional districts.

In a state with two dominant parties, if those parties have a 50/50 split of the population, then they should have equal representation in the US Congress.

Same for any other proportion. 20/80, 90/10, anything. A system to that allows for disproportionate representation that in the worst cases awards a minority with the vast majority of representation is horribly broken.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 16th, 2017 at 9:48:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

In a state with two dominant parties, if those parties have a 50/50 split of the population, then they should have equal representation in the US Congress.

It should not be "parties." It should be geographic. Lets take Pennsylvania. People in Philly have common things with each other. Philly and Pittsburgh, trust me, might as well be two different states. Erie is as different. All the smaller towns in the middle are different.

You should draw the lines to both equalize the populations as well as equalize interests. When you whack up a city into a "wagon wheel" to make parties even, this is a gerrymander.

As has been said many places, living patterns differ. Democrats are usually clustered to an urban center. Republicans are scattered. When is the last time anyone heard of a "GOP City Machine?"

As identity politics grows, expect more not less of locked-in seats.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2017 at 2:16:41 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Pennsylvania has lots of examples of gerrymandering.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania%27s_congressional_districts

Look at Pittsburgh. On the south side, you have a pretty regular shape, with a little spur to the north to capture and concentrate some votes. On the north side, the votes are diluted by being in a district covering hundreds of square miles of rural space.

Something similar in Harrisburg, and then the whole town of Reading is encapsulated and then tied to a much larger area through an appendix-like intestinal growth.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 16th, 2017 at 2:21:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
‘Conflicts Upon Conflicts Upon Conflicts of Interest’ in FBI Investigations of Trump and Clinton

How is Mueller going to survive this,
it's an mountain of evidence that
he's running a corrupt investigation.

"The corruption within the FBI and Department of Justice has reached cosmic proportions. And because of it taxpayers must demand the politically driven Russian collusion probe be shuttered immediately. It’s become evidently clear it’s a sham investigation reeking of corruption at every turn."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/adriana_cohen/2017/12/adriana_cohen_time_hack_robert_mueller_got_boot
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 16th, 2017 at 2:44:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Entire family of transgenders; http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/15/an-entire-family-now-identifies-as-transgender/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 16th, 2017 at 3:24:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Including their Pit Bull???? Are they signing autographs and getting paid for interviews?
December 16th, 2017 at 4:56:40 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph

I believe this is a publicity stunt. I wonder how they are trying to monetize this farce?
December 16th, 2017 at 5:49:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: SOOPOO
I believe this is a publicity stunt. I wonder how they are trying to monetize this farce?
At a minimum there are probably generational claims of disability? Maybe they are setting the stage for a lawsuit? https://nypost.com/2016/05/19/city-issues-new-guidelines-on-transgender-pronouns/
December 16th, 2017 at 5:54:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
At a minimum there are probably generational claims of disability? Maybe they are setting the stage for a lawsuit? https://nypost.com/2016/05/19/city-issues-new-guidelines-on-transgender-pronouns/

I've got lots of pronouns for transgender
people, not a problem..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 16th, 2017 at 6:59:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
I've got lots of pronouns for transgender
people, not a problem..
"The California state Senate is considering a bill that would punish health care workers up to a year in jail if they “willfully and repeatedly” decline to address a transgender resident with their “preferred name or pronouns.” http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/19/use-wrong-pronoun-for-transgender-senior-california-may-punish.html

"The bill, SB 219, proposed by San Francisco’s Democratic state Sen. Scott Wiener, is aimed at protecting transgender and other LGBT groups in health care sectors such as hospitals, retirement homes and housing institutions.

It establishes a number of provisions that would force such care facilities to accommodate transgender people and their needs, including letting them pick gender-specific restrooms and ensuring care workers use their preferred gender pronouns."

Had a DIL who worked at a nursing home as a cnn. That can be some extremely hard work, moving old peoples bodies around. I can imagine getting tired after a long shift and making the mistake of thinking someone was a he or she against the choice of that person, and getting tapped for a fine. And, the possibility of jail time.