In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 5th, 2018 at 11:00:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Boeing invests in battery startup in nod to the future of electric flight.

Watched Nova last night
A solar powered flight circled the planet
Amazing

http://www.pbs.org/video/the-impossible-flight-riui2e/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 5th, 2018 at 11:32:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
Watching CNBC
The headline "Dow Plunges 500 points"
just changed to
"Dow Plunges +500 Points"

was hovering around -525
now hovering around -550

Dow tanking again
Was down 666 Fri
Down another 400 today
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 5th, 2018 at 11:43:26 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: SOOPOO
4. I really wish I understood this better. People keep saying Trump is "disregarding a law". If so, can he not be charged with something? Or is it not a "law", but something open to he president's interpretation? Can't he unilaterally decide a 'sanction' is too harsh, not in our country's best interests, etc?

Well, it is a law, it went through the whole "I'm just a bill" process, including the president's signature, and the president swore an oath to uphold the law.

As far as I know, no one has ever tried to do anything about presidents that do this or something similar, like having signing statements that pretty much say that they aren't going to enforce or uphold this part of a law or that.

I think a lawsuit might be one of the few options available - "the people vs x" sort of thing. but no one has ever tried.

As far as I know, the only time the president can legally 'unilaterally decide' on a law is by signing a veto.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 5th, 2018 at 11:47:42 AM permalink
Dalex64
Pennsylvania will be (in the absence of anything else happening) redrawing its congressional districts this week.

"The United States Supreme Court has decided not to block a state court ruling requiring Pennsylvania's legislature to immediately redraw its legislative boundaries."

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/05/583373004/supreme-court-pass-means-pennsylvania-must-redraw-congressional-maps-in-10-days

The process is - the republican controlled general assembly draws new lines (week one) and then the democrat governor has a week to approve or veto.

If they fail to come to an agreement, the democrat controlled state supreme court will draw the lines.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 5th, 2018 at 12:06:33 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Dow tanking again
Was down 666 Fri
Down another 400 today

Down 900 right now. Yikes.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 5th, 2018 at 12:17:29 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: ams288
Down 900 right now. Yikes.
Let's see trumpy or his deplorables claim the credit for that! He/they would be quick to if it went up by the same amount of variance.
February 5th, 2018 at 12:30:23 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: OnceDear
Let's see trumpy or his deplorables claim the credit for that! He/they would be quick to if it went up by the same amount of variance.

Of course not, almost no politician does.

Another example is how they will dismiss good numbers when the other party is in charge because of 'faulty methodology' or claim it doesn't paint the full picture, or measure what they say it is measuring, then turn around and claim those very same measurements, touted as good news, when they are in charge.
February 5th, 2018 at 12:45:29 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64

Another example is how they will dismiss good numbers when the other party is in charge because of 'faulty methodology' or claim it doesn't paint the full picture, or measure what they say it is measuring, then turn around and claim those very same measurements, touted as good news, when they are in charge.

Sort of like the climate change supporters when something doesn't fit the algorithm.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 5th, 2018 at 12:56:35 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
Quote: Dalex64

Sort of like the climate change supporters when something doesn't fit the algorithm.

Deflection. Own it, for once, Trump. Just once. Show me a responsible adult in charge.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 5th, 2018 at 1:00:56 PM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
Quote: beachbumbabs
Deflection. Own it, for once, Trump. Just once. Show me a responsible adult in charge.
guess u don't wanna answer his question about climat change
talk about defection lol...........