In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

August 31st, 2014 at 6:37:52 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: RonC
Quote: Beethoven

He wasn't a good enough player at this point to make the 53 man roster; as were a ton of non-gays. Maybe he will get on someone's practice squad after the dust settles. I don't think all that many players really care if he is gay or not...I certainly don't give a crap. I'd root for him if he was on a team I wanted to win and against him if I was rooting for the to lose. Unless,, of course, he was a bad player.

I think more players than is thought care. I also think more care not so much that he is gay but that he has camped it up and made a big deal that he is gay (i.e." the attention whore thing again.) Similarly I think the locker rooms are more divided among racial lines than is let on.

There are lots of attention whores in sports--one more is not that big of a deal. I get that they might not like or want a gay person in the locker room if they had a choice, but the players know they are only as good as how they play and act...so the ones with common sense know how to get along with whoever is around as much as possible. Is the hatred and animosity between people, races, etc. in the locker room? Maybe. They are competing for jobs at all times and anyone could supplant them at any time. There are relatively few that actually are on "solid ground" as far as being in the NFL for a long time. The average career is around 4 years.

Him coming out and announcing it to the world is great--there now has been a openly gay NFL player; the distraction is pretty much done. Once there is a "gay one" of everything and everyone knows, we can go back to living life like it was before pretty much--there was a gay one all along most likely... The ones who have to announce their gay status every ten minutes will always be there; just let them occupy their space and move along...
September 1st, 2014 at 6:32:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just saw an interesting bumper sticker yesterday.
It was in the style of the famous Obama hope image.
But instead it showed 3 other faces
Jefferson and Faith
Washington and Hope
Franklin and Charity

tea party? regardless, I like it. It makes you think instead of some statement most bumper stickers have.

Speaking of bumper stickers, saw a Hillary bumper sticker a few months ago
"I'm ready for Hillary" Haven't seen it since.

On the flip side, bicycle commuter weather permitting , so I don't see as many bumper stickers as a normal commuter :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 1st, 2014 at 8:37:31 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I don't think Hillary will make it as far as before. Her looks have faded too much and too much baggage now more than before. She'll be the Mittens able to get to the ballot and impossible to win if she runs.
September 1st, 2014 at 8:55:03 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
I don't think Hillary will make it as far as before. Her looks have faded too much and too much baggage now more than before. She'll be the Mittens able to get to the ballot and impossible to win if she runs.

While I think you "might" be right, never underestimate the power of the Clinton political machinery. They survived and thrived through many things other candidates just don't survive. If Bill really wants Hillary to be President, he can do a lot to help her. There is an ego question there--will his huge ego allow her to be his equal?

I'd have to consider her the front runner for now in spite of age, looks, etc.
September 1st, 2014 at 9:13:29 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: RonC
If Bill really wants Hillary to be President, he can do a lot to help her. There is an ego question there--will his huge ego allow her to be his equal?

I'd have to consider her the front runner for now in spite of age, looks, etc.

I absolutely think Bill wants Hillary to win. He would be back on the national stage on a daily basis and having power by having the ear of the President.
His 3rd and maybe 4 term in way. Talk about a legacy, 1 couple 16 years in the White House, pretty incredible if it happens.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 1st, 2014 at 9:49:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Talk about a legacy, 1 couple 16 years in the White House, pretty incredible if it happens.

Sounds more like Argentina than the USA.
The President is a fink.
September 1st, 2014 at 10:52:55 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Speaking of bumper stickers, saw a Hillary bumper sticker a few months ago
"I'm ready for Hillary" Haven't seen it since.
Don't worry, the 2016 election is still 2+ years away. LIV's aren't even thinking about politics right now. By the time the presidential campaign gets into gear, I can assure you that the LIV's in this country will be "ready for Hillary" (or whichever Democrat is nominated).
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 1st, 2014 at 11:00:55 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
Sounds more like Argentina than the USA.

Except that it will be due to the Peoples choice, Democracy :-)
September 1st, 2014 at 11:11:20 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Except that it will be due to the Peoples LIV's choice
Fixed! :D
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 1st, 2014 at 8:57:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/09/01/labors-demise-is-americas-demise/

Well there you have it folks, Paul Craig Roberts