In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 26th, 2019 at 11:53:17 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Wasn't Trump's best chance to "build the wall" when republicans were in charge of the house and Senate?

Of course he didn't, because everyone knows there wasn't sufficient republican support for it, nor enough Democrat support to get to 60 votes in the Senate.

Now the republicans can safely hide behind the Democrats, to vote for something that they don't really want, nor does the majority of those they represent, but the majority of those who provide them with reelection funds do.

Mitch McConnel and the rest of the senate republicans were even hiding behind Trump - refusing to hold uncomfortable votes that they knew Trump was oppposed to, but would be horribly embarrassing if a veto-proof majority actually voted for.

So yes, there very well could be another shutdown, or an executive order that might go to the courts, if Trump isn't willing to compromise on the idea of a continuous ocean-to-gulf barrier.

I'm still amused by how readily the "and Mexico will pay for it" part of the campaign promise has been so easily discarded. It is rather biblical in nature, picking and choosing which parts were a promise and which were an allegory, or empty hype. None of the scenarios of "indirect" payment actually cost the Mexicans anything - all costs will be paid by US citizens, one way or another.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 26th, 2019 at 11:54:28 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: rxwine
I don't get how we have the same conditions in 3 weeks and it's then declared a national emergency with any legitimate cause. It either is because something changed, or it isn't IMO. Mexico having a coup and a multitude heading to the border would be a NE.

The "emergency" is that Trump can't get his way with a co-equal branch of government.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 26th, 2019 at 12:03:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
As for caving,
Trump said he wouldn't sign anything without wall funding.
Pelosi said they wouldn't negotiate until the government was reopened.

That was the caving part (for now) - we'll have to wait at least three weeks to find out if this was a temporary setback or a defeat. To suggest that it was all part of the original strategy is laughable.
January 26th, 2019 at 1:19:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
So, you admit that is the Left's tactic

What's hilarious is seeing all the video
from the past that has Obama, Nancy,
Schumer, and others, calling it a 'border
crisis' over and over, and it's far worse
now. Far far worse. You don't see that
played on CNN and MS. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 26th, 2019 at 1:23:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Can anyone point to an interview or statement by the U.S. Customs and Border Control on the most cost effective way to spend new money to secure the southern border? I have an open mind on this topic. It seems reasonable to me that in populated areas a wall would be one part of a deterrent to illegal crossings. 5.7 billion would only buy about 240 miles of wall, as I understand it.

BTW, my housekeeper Lupe, who illegally crossed, scoffed at the wall and said anyone who wants to cross will eventually make it, wall or no wall. I think they are more worried about getting cheated or robbed by their own people than getting caught by our side. You just try again after they send you back.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 26th, 2019 at 1:31:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
I don't get how we have the same conditions in 3 weeks and it's then declared a national emergency with any legitimate cause. It either is because something changed, or it isn't IMO. Mexico having a coup and a multitude heading to the border would be a NE.
There is a US finance coup going on right now in Venezuela.

Mexico isn't the country that produces the most asylum seekers, It's Venezuela, China, Mexico in that order.

This is the 41st year under a continuous state of emergency. https://www.lawfareblog.com/emergencies-without-end-primer-federal-states-emergency
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 26th, 2019 at 2:10:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Wizard
Can anyone point to an interview or statement by the U.S. Customs and Border Control on the most cost effective way to spend new money to secure the southern border? I have an open mind on this topic. It seems reasonable to me that in populated areas a wall would be one part of a deterrent to illegal crossings. 5.7 billion would only buy about 240 miles of wall, as I understand it.

BTW, my housekeeper Lupe, who illegally crossed, scoffed at the wall and said anyone who wants to cross will eventually make it, wall or no wall. I think they are more worried about getting cheated or robbed by their own people than getting caught by our side. You just try again after they send you back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/border-patrol-wall-immigration-trump-senate-democrats.html
January 26th, 2019 at 2:50:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I just heard that in the 3 weeks till
this is decided again, 30,000 illegals
will cross. But there's no crisis, no
emergency. Then there's this:

New Caravan Grows as Mexico Eases Passage

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-caravan-grows-as-mexico-eases-passage-11548191845
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 26th, 2019 at 3:02:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2019/01/number-rises-to-153-murdered-in-tijuana.html

153 known murders, this month alone in TJ.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 26th, 2019 at 3:11:30 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
I just heard that in the 3 weeks till
this is decided again, 30,000 illegals
will cross. But there's no crisis, no
emergency. Then there's this:

New Caravan Grows as Mexico Eases Passage

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-caravan-grows-as-mexico-eases-passage-11548191845

Hopefully the “master negotiator” can figure out how to fulfill his promise of getting Mexico to pay for the wall by then, because Americans sure as hell won’t!!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman