In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 6th, 2019 at 5:35:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Did the Russian trolls play a role? Time of day is critical as are prior infections.
June 6th, 2019 at 8:15:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
The 8.5 million pound rock that came 2000 feet down onto a Colorado highway is being designated a "historic" site. It's cheaper to build the road around it, than blow it up. Since it landed Memorial day weekend it will be called "Memorial Rock."
image from https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/06/05/Giant-roadside-rock-to-remain-on-Colorado-mountain-highway-as-landmark/1071559762710/

in a related story, citizen is wondering what happened to Aunt Martha and her car, experts stumped

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/06/05/just-kidding-I-made-all-that-up/1071555762710/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 6th, 2019 at 12:29:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
One study concluded that anesthesia doses in the elderly do not have to be reduced because there is no connection to earlier deaths, but same journal issue published a conclusion that it was invalid to draw any conclusions.
It's a new type of peer review that focuses on a study's parameters, not its conclusions. Indeed the peer reviewers are blind to the conclusions, but only the methods.
June 6th, 2019 at 4:12:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
California set two renewable energy records last week: the most solar power ever flowing on the state's main electric grid, and the most solar power ever taken offline because it wasn't needed.

As California utilities buy more and more solar power as part of the state's quest to confront climate change, supply and demand are increasingly out of sync. The state's fleet of solar farms and rooftop panels frequently generate more electricity than Californians use during the middle of the day - a phenomenon that has sent lawmakers and some climate advocates scrambling to find ways to save the extra sunlight rather than let it go to waste.

But for ratepayers, an oversupply of solar power might actually be a good thing.

New research published in the peer-reviewed journal Solar Energy suggests California should embrace the idea of building more solar panels than it can consistently use, rather than treating oversupply as a problem to be solved. It sounds counterintuitive, but intentionally overbuilding solar facilities - and accepting they'll often need to be dialed down in the absence of sufficient demand - may be the best way to keep electricity prices low on a power grid dominated by renewable energy, the research found.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/california-has-too-much-solar-power-that-might-be-good-for-ratepayers/ar-AACuqFf?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 6th, 2019 at 6:39:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/california-has-too-much-solar-power-that-might-be-good-for-ratepayers/ar-AACuqFf?ocid=spartanntp

Yeah, 75% still comes from non
renewable and always will. Solar
and wind cost more than they
save and are inefficient as hell
compared to what they cost.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2019 at 7:24:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
winds are highly variable and output has to fed into large battery for controlled release.
solar cell are getting cheaper to manufacture, no longer need flat panels, can be placed in less than full sunlight and when you ad caffeine you get more power and longer life.
June 6th, 2019 at 9:45:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, 75% still comes from non
renewable and always will. Solar
and wind cost more than they
save and are inefficient as hell
compared to what they cost.

lol, what are your oil stocks being threatened?

If their market is saturated, it's probably bringing down the cost of solar as well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2019 at 4:07:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
This seems to be news not much covered in the US by the mainstream media. I'm not sure why it isn't clear that the problem is Mexico is not stopping people from crossing in to Mexico from Central America. If it was just Mexicans, we could probably deal OK with it.

Quote:
'Dramatic' rise in African migrants arriving at US border... African migrants described travelling from their home countries to Brazil, before making their way north through Colombia and Central America towards the US

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48548031
June 7th, 2019 at 5:06:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
This seems to be news not much covered in the US by the mainstream media. I'm not sure why it isn't clear that the problem is Mexico is not stopping people from crossing in to Mexico from Central America. If it was just Mexicans, we could probably deal OK with it.

There has been some news that Mexico is starting to stop the caravans. Probably not all they should be doing, but Trump telling them there will now be consequences (tariffs) seems to have gotten their attention.

About time.
The President is a fink.
June 7th, 2019 at 6:15:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
It might be a game of whack-a-mole too, pretty wide there altogether. On the other hand, stopping 100% need not be the goal.