Gay Marriage

September 8th, 2015 at 1:15:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
I read about the Judge that put her in jail
He is deeply Christian and personally against gay marraige.
He respects the Supreme Court and he took an oath
He totally gets it :-)

According to the news, he ordered her released today, saying he's satisfied the deputy clerks are issuing licenses. If she interferes, again, with her deputies by not allowing them to issue licenses, she'll be back in jail.

So this was about contempt of court and complying with a judicial order. Not about punishing her for her beliefs.

Of course everyone knew this, but now maybe the wingnuts will admit it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 8th, 2015 at 2:47:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
According to the news, he ordered her released today, saying he's satisfied the deputy clerks are issuing licenses. If she interferes, again, with her deputies by not allowing them to issue licenses, she'll be back in jail.

So this was about contempt of court and complying with a judicial order. Not about punishing her for her beliefs.

Of course everyone knew this, but now maybe the wingnuts will admit it.

She will absolutely interfere with her clerks.
She will state that all marriage certificates without her signature are invalid.

Its now up to the courts to decide if those marriage certificates without her signature are valid
I believe they are valid.
Her office does not approve marraiges, she's a clerk, her office is to issue and record paperwork.
She was in jail because she refused to do the paperwork regarding gay marraiges.
If she wants to believe in a make believe world, fine.
If that make believe world prevents her from doing the countys paperwork regarding gays, she needs to resign
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 8th, 2015 at 2:52:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

If she wants to believe in a make believe world, fine.

Hey, she's doing god's work and god
will take care of her. Sort of..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2015 at 3:14:38 PM permalink
Nareed
She will absolutely interfere with her clerks.
She will state that all marriage certificates without her signature are invalid.

I think it depends on how her time in jail was. It's one thing to say "I'm willing to go to jail for my beliefs," and quite another to say "I'm willing to go back to jail for my beliefs."

Quote:
She was in jail because she refused to do the paperwork regarding gay marraiges.

There is some confusion about this. She actually refused to issue any marriage licenses. The suit which eventually resulted in appeals and culminated in a contempt charge, was brought by both gay and straight couples. Apparently this was not discriminatory.

It turns out there are similar offices with similar types of officials (the titles vary) mostly in the south, where people refuse to issue licenses or perform marriages. This isn't much of a problem, because they let other officials or subordinates do the issuing.

That's perfectly fine, if incredibly silly and immature. But it also demonstrates the woman in Kentucky could have used the same out but didn't. In fact, it was suggested by one of the judges in one of the appeals. Apparently having her name on the form was too much, even if her signature wasn't on it (I guess Jehovah the all-knowing cannot tell who signed).
September 8th, 2015 at 3:34:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I just saw Huckabee volunteering to go to jail.

Heh. Too easy. lol.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2015 at 3:47:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine

Let him. Who are we to stand in his way?
September 8th, 2015 at 4:39:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine

Since when can people volunteer to go to jail for each other? I guess they can ask but has it ever actually happened before? I'm sure Bernie Madoff would pay nicely for somebody to serve time in his stead.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 8th, 2015 at 6:12:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Since when can people volunteer to go to jail for each other?

I think you can volunteer anything, but the courts can't accept your offer. For a guy who spent that much time on Fox News, Huckabee isn't doing very well in the polls.
September 8th, 2015 at 6:48:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
I think you can volunteer anything, but the courts can't accept your offer. For a guy who spent that much time on Fox News, Huckabee isn't doing very well in the polls.

Huck is a religious extremist.
Great Berry Goldwater quote regarding the religious right
"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 8th, 2015 at 10:13:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
He was right. It would be nice to know what the party even stands for any more.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber