Gay Marriage

September 5th, 2015 at 2:53:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
How do these Christians interpret these passages:

The Old Testament is interpreted in the light of Jesus Christ who has paid the penalty for our sins already. So the punishment is no more and in its place is mercy. Just a few more verses in First Timothy and you read, "This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am the foremost." (1Tim 1:15) So we interpret these verses in the mercy and love of God. A homosexual brother or sister who falls in lust or a single heterosexual college student, all call on God's love and mercy and receive forgiveness and life, not death.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2015 at 3:04:39 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
How do these Christians interpret these passages:

You can find a perfectly good explanation by reading "1984".
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 5th, 2015 at 4:30:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
The Old Testament is interpreted in the light of Jesus Christ who has paid the penalty for our sins already. So the punishment is no more and in its place is mercy. Just a few more verses in First Timothy and you read, "This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am the foremost." (1Tim 1:15) So we interpret these verses in the mercy and love of God. A homosexual brother or sister who falls in lust or a single heterosexual college student, all call on God's love and mercy and receive forgiveness and life, not death.

I'll agree that the Old Testament punishments are no longer in place. However, the OT still shows a god that clearly sees it as sinful.

Regarding Timothy, I interpret what you're saying that as long as a homosexual doesn't act on his/her desires, then he is okay. However, what of the one who does not deny his/her feelings and acts on them?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 5th, 2015 at 4:45:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
This is the same boat we are all in. We often need to or should not act on our feelings
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2015 at 8:07:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This is the same boat we are all in. We often need to or should not act on our feelings

Okay, I think you've made your position clear. Thank you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 5th, 2015 at 9:22:56 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58

You've also said that married Catholics who engage in certain types of sexual intercourse are still considered "chaste" by the Church. So it is possible for (some) sexually active heterosexuals to be "chaste" but impossible for sexually active homosexuals to be chaste.

It's a cruel double standard. There's a reason your church is considered homophobic.
September 5th, 2015 at 9:53:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Marriage between a man and woman is indeed very special and unique. I believe God ordered it that way and nature reflects that. You seem to want to call out homosexuals, but it is worth emphasizing that all non married folks are in the same boat.

However, you are correct that the Church views all homosexual sexual acts as sinful and that is, to put it mildly, tough for some to hear. These acts are not more sinful than other acts, but there is simply no way a homosexual couple can express their love sexually in a natural way. This is a cross to bear, but surely is not impossible unless you are willing to say true love needs genital activity. The committed homosexual Christians I know depend greatly upon God's Grace, mercy, and upon their divine and human friendships - as do all of us.
September 5th, 2015 at 11:34:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
, but surely is not impossible unless you are willing to say true love needs genital activity. .

I don't mean this personally, but is it
wise to take advice on sex from
somebody who in not allowed to
engage in any sexual activity whatsoever?

I think I'd rather ask this guy what his
opinion is.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2015 at 12:17:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Does the church consider the degree of compulsion? I couldn't think of a better word at the moment.

For instance, it's one thing to sin such as you see the last piece of a cake which is not yours, and you go ahead and eat it (stealing). (then the person whose cake it was comes back and asks what happened to his cake) Yes, in the future, you regard it as a mistake, and you can for the most part regret it and not do it again. On a scale of 1-100, probably for most people that kind of sin is down low on the scale and can probably be successfully avoided.

Now imagine if all heterosexuals could not have sexual relations with all people they desired and can only have sex with people they have no desire for as lifetime a goal, because that's what it demands of homosexuals.

Anyway, I'm trying to make the point the compulsion and desire is lifelong and strong. Does it matter, and or does the church not give any regard to the degree of difficulty?

(Sure you've taken a vow, but that was voluntary on your part. This is involuntary.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 6th, 2015 at 4:15:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
I think it's a good question rxwine; the Church and moral theology most certainly do take into consideration the degree of compulsion one feels. Often this compulsion runs roughshod over our will and reason and can greatly mitigate our culpability.