Gay Marriage

November 5th, 2015 at 8:31:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo
Sigh. Catholics get hung up in actions as sin. Us Lutherans learn that sin comes about from thought or word as well.

1) I would tend to side with the Catholics on this one, if not for how many moral and neutral actions the regard as "sin"

2) I get well and truly lost among the myriad Christian denominations. Would "Lutherans" include all or most "Protestants"? If so, then they obviously don't take the "thought or word" part very seriously. Not judging from the pronouncements of religious-right politicians.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 5th, 2015 at 10:41:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sigh. Catholics get hung up in actions as sin. .

I have a friend who's an ex priest. He
says in confession what he heard 99%
of the time were what he calls 'thought
crimes'. Catholics invented thought sins,
they made an industry out of it. My
friend says most of the so called sins
involved sex, another Catholic specialty.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 5th, 2015 at 10:45:20 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Sigh. Catholics get hung up in actions as sin. Us Lutherans learn that sin comes about from thought or word as well. That is, if we feel a sexual desire towards another woman while we are married, we are committing adultery (Matthew 5:28). Fr wil tell me I'm wrong here, but that is just a philosophical difference.

Actually I don't think you are wrong here. Sin can be in thought, word, action, or omission. You have to be careful though about become scrupulous. Sexual desire is a healthy and natural feeling, there are ways to praise God for another's beauty without always falling into lust or sin.

Quote:
For me, we are all sinners. Any thought, word, action or deed that is not pleasing to God is sinful by definition. We are all hopeless sinners. We can repent as much as we want too, but in the end, we are all sinners. Jesus paid for our sins, and it really up to God's mercy and our faith in Him and our active repentence that sends us Christians heaven-bound.

This is a hodge-podge of good statements and ones I strongly disagree with. The main difference between Lutherans and Catholics seems to be the "hopeless sinner" or "in the end, we are all sinners." I believe that our repentance, faith in Jesus Christ, and His Grace actually has a real and lasting effect upon us. It changes us and helps us truly eliminate sin in our lives. It is our faith in Jesus who paid for our sins and our repentance to sends us heaven-bound, but on the trip we are truly changed so that in the end, we are all saints without the stain of sin that has been truly washed away in the Blood of the Lamb.

Quote:
So, on the homosexual thing, it is defined in the bible as a type of sin. There are plenty of other things that are sinful as well that we don't pay much attention to. In the end, God will judge us by what has been in our hearts. On the homosexual thing, I see it as an act of love between two people without the attention of destroying society. Homosexuality and adultery I group together as sexual sins that us heterosexuals are just as guilty of and require repentance.

Finally, something I can agree with you on.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 6th, 2015 at 8:12:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
For me, we are all sinners. Any thought, word, action or deed that is not pleasing to God is sinful by definition. We are all hopeless sinners. We can repent as much as we want too, but in the end, we are all sinners. Jesus paid for our sins, and it really up to God's mercy and our faith in Him and our active repentence that sends us Christians heaven-bound.

They way I interpret this is that all are equally guilty of sin. Mr. Rogers is equal to Charles Manson in the eyes of god. So, why bother trying to be good if the quantity of sin makes no difference?

In case you're not familiar with which Mr. Rogers:

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 6th, 2015 at 11:01:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
They way I interpret this is that all are equally guilty of sin.]

Sin is just an intellectual idea, it doesn't
really exist. It's a tool religion uses to
control people. Once they convince you
that you're a sinner, the only cure is god,
which also doesn't exist. Quite the racket.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 6th, 2015 at 11:12:01 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Sin is just an intellectual idea, it doesn't
really exist. It's a tool religion uses to
control people. Once they convince you
that you're a sinner, the only cure is god,
which also doesn't exist. Quite the racket.

I could use Boymimbo's argument that going to church wouldn't absolve me of my sin, so why bother.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 23rd, 2016 at 12:00:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
If gay guys talked to straight guys like straight guys talk to gay guys

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 24th, 2016 at 9:03:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
If gay guys talked to straight guys like straight guys talk to gay guys

Pretty funny.
May 24th, 2016 at 11:20:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
Pretty funny.

For some reason, some straights feel they
can ask Gay men about the most intimate
details of their lives. Yet if somebody asked
the straight for details about his wife, he
would punch him.
July 11th, 2016 at 5:18:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
There has been a few cases of a bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding
Here is a twist
A woman orders a birthday cake
The bakery gets a little nosy and looks up the person on facebook
The baker discovers the woman is gay and refuses to bake a birthday cake
WTF
The baker stated that they don't bake cakes for gay weddings or gay parties
WTF
You must answer sexual orientation questions before this person will bake a cake
What is considered a gay party? Majority gay?
5 gays and 5 non gays, is the baker ok?
Would the baker bake the cake if say 8 non gays and 2 gays at the party?
Does the baker need to know every person attending the party's sexual orientation so they can determine if this is a gay party?

Just bake the dam cake
jeez, lol

http://nbc24.com/news/local/toledo-same-sex-couple-stunned-by-bakerys-refusal-to-make-birthday-cake
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"