Gun Control

May 27th, 2022 at 5:03:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
With an attempt to make it easy for the good guys to get a gun, one possibility is to make all the hoop jumping needed occur with the very first gun purchase.

After getting documented with all that, your next purchase or renewal would be much briefer with a much more basic check

That's one way to knock out some of these young, troubled shooters from going on their first and last rampage.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2022 at 5:33:24 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
A cctv monitor that the teacher can see from the front of the classroom might be helpful. Have 4 different views on the outside of the school. Or something similar.

You do have to consider prohibitively expensive fixes. But donated tvs is probably possible for that part of it. Even used tvs/

TVs are relatively inexpensive. Camera systems have come down in price and storage (needs lots of that to keep video for. Long time) has come down in price. Supply chain is an issue; hopefully, that is resolved fairly shortly. Cabling has gotten more expensive.

I think we can find a lot of the money needed in unspent funds without passing lots of pork-filled bills.
May 27th, 2022 at 5:38:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Talk about successful tactics to survive. A 4th grader named Mia who survived the attack knew enough to smear blood on herself from another classmate so if the attacker came back she could appear dead. She also got her dead teacher's phone who was killed in front of her to call 911.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2022 at 10:26:26 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
Hopefully more homeschooling happens because of all of this.

It takes an unusually patient, caring, reasonably organized and intelligent parent to successfully home school their kids.

Just look at most of us: there is almost always something lacking, some deficiency in upbringing than tends to force us to veer toward the ditch instead of motoring straight ahead.

Call it "bad parenting" as many if not most parents were too often divorced / absent, drunk, stoned, angry, and / or indifferent.
May 27th, 2022 at 11:01:53 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Hopefully more homeschooling happens because of all of this.

Except the majority of gun deaths (vast majority if you count suicides) are in the home or associated with a home/residence (even if it is a gang attacking a house).

http://jaapl.org/content/early/2020/02/05/JAAPL.003929-20
(According to this study the vast majority of mass shootings take place in a home and are domestic related, but since they have clear targets and/or accidental targets they don't get counted as mass shootings by many trackers -though they involve three or more victims getting hit by discharging firearms).

So homes are far from safe (depending on the stats you look at, may be far more dangerous for firearm deaths). Remember homes are where many families sit around, drink heavily, argue, fight, and then through firearms in the mix and none of this is surprising.... And, with many adults working from home now, there is less of a break from your parents if you are home all day (which if your parents are toxic can be dangerous because that can grow resentment on both ends).

Also, homeschooling is a bad choice for academics, remember you are being taught (and graded) by your parents who in many cases are likely (depending on their age) to have no college education, possibly no high school.... (This is also why I do not buy the studies where people show how homeschool kids have a way higher GPA than public and private school kids, its like well yeah because they are being graded by their parents, everyone's parents is going to give them straight As....).
If you really want to take high school from home for whatever reason you should register to an accredited online high school so at least the grading of papers and exams is fair and the curriculum is properly structured (these are free and readily available in most -probably now all- States). But, this is aside and I know getting a bit off topic for this thread....
May 27th, 2022 at 11:24:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
Except the majority of gun deaths (vast majority if you count suicides) are in the home or associated with a home/residence (even if it is a gang attacking a house).

(According to this study the vast majority of mass shootings take place in a home and are domestic related, but since they have clear targets and/or accidental targets they don't get counted as mass shootings by many trackers -though they involve three or more victims getting hit by discharging firearms).

So homes are far from safe (depending on the stats you look at, may be far more dangerous for firearm deaths). Remember homes are where many families sit around, drink heavily, argue, fight, and then through firearms in the mix and none of this is surprising.... And, with many adults working from home now, there is less of a break from your parents if you are home all day (which if your parents are toxic can be dangerous because that can grow resentment on both ends).

Also, homeschooling is a bad choice for academics, remember you are being taught (and graded) by your parents who in many cases are likely (depending on their age) to have no college education, possibly no high school.... (This is also why I do not buy the studies where people show how homeschool kids have a way higher GPA than public and private school kids, its like well yeah because they are being graded by their parents, everyone's parents is going to give them straight As....).
If you really want to take high school from home for whatever reason you should register to an accredited online high school so at least the grading of papers and exams is fair and the curriculum is properly structured (these are free and readily available in most -probably now all- States). But, this is aside and I know getting a bit off topic for this thread....

You also need to be able to have a parent stay home fulltime, though that may be easier with work at home jobs. But of course, a less financially secured family is going have more difficulty doing the one parent at home setup.
May 27th, 2022 at 11:33:38 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler

I don’t think he’s concerned with “education quality” he’s concerned about schools “liberal indoctrination” of children.
May 27th, 2022 at 12:29:54 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Always interesting to observe the hand wringing and political divide between you guys about gun Law, especially after police shooting events and mass shootings. You guys let the genie out of the bottle very early in your history, and now the justification for Mr Average to want a gun in the home is because the bad guys have them. Hard to argue about.
If I were in the US, I would want to own a defensive handgun for the home..... But then I'd be a bit torn. A momentary episode of depression or carelessness could so easily see said defensive weapon make my own or my families death far too easy. So, though I'd want a defensive handgun and the training to use it, I would still hesitate. It would all be down to perceived risk/reward. I'd hope that someone qualified would assess my sanity before letting me own a gun. If I could not demonstrate sanity annually, then I'd hope they'd come back and confiscate my WMD.. same with the sanity of my neighbours and their WMD. Trust in the government? Yes. We elected them didn't we?

Over here, our burglars and street thugs may be carrying a knife or machette, which of course is a close combat weapon. My home defense weapon of choice is my dad's walking stick, which trust me, can be a powerful close combat weapon. It's enough. Unlikely to go off in my hand while I'm cleaning it and unlikely to be used in suicide. Combine my security lights, cameras and good home locks and I fear no invasion, here. I'm delighted not to be allowed a handgun in the home. I COULD get a rifle or shotgun after some background checks, but not EVER for use as a weapon, not even a defensive weapon. I could hold a rifle to shoot game or for target shooting. That's all. It would have to be kept in a secure case in the home or vehicle. NEVER to be used as a defensive weapon. I cannot conceive of a situation where I would want to own a mil spec machine gun, just as I cannot conceive of being able to buy a hand grenade.
If I had kids, I would not want anyone ANYONE being within a mile of their school with a gun. Not an 18YO, not a teacher, not even a cop. But of course, in America, there is always the risk of that 18YO. Genie is out of the bottle. As the old joke has it... “If I wanted to get there, I wouldn’t start from here.”

With the polarisation you guys have, common sense and the middle ground go out of the window. Any attack on ANY kind of weapon is seen as an attack on your constitutional rights. Can't suggest restricting the sale of WMD, "because it's a slippery slope." Can't suggest background checks or ID checks. Nooooo.

Your darned constitution will be the death of you..... Or of your kids.

Question...... Do the gun lovers among you object to not being allowed to take defensive guns into Disneyland? If so, why? If not, why not?

Australia used to have easy going gun law. I understand they eventually dealt with it.
May 27th, 2022 at 12:46:44 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I expect that not many people on this forum or lefties would suspect that the US is not even in the top 10 of gun deaths / capita.

"Countries with the Highest Rates of Violent Gun Death (Homicides) per 100k residents in 2019
El Salvador (36.78)
Venezuela (33.27)
Guatemala (29.06)
Colombia (26.36)
Brazil (21.93)
Bahamas (21.52)
Honduras (20.15)
U.S. Virgin Islands (19.40)
Puerto Rico (18.14)
Mexico (16.41)"

How does this align with the open southern border that Biden is allowing right now?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 27th, 2022 at 1:03:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
I expect that not many people on this forum or lefties would suspect that the US is not even in the top 10 of gun deaths / capita.

"Countries with the Highest Rates of Violent Gun Death (Homicides) per 100k residents in 2019
El Salvador (36.78)
Venezuela (33.27)
Guatemala (29.06)
Colombia (26.36)
Brazil (21.93)
Bahamas (21.52)
Honduras (20.15)
U.S. Virgin Islands (19.40)
Puerto Rico (18.14)
Mexico (16.41)"

How does this align with the open southern border that Biden is allowing right now?

Let them in, and kick American criminals out.

Quote:
Crime rates among undocumented immigrants are just a fraction of those of their U.S.-born neighbors, according to a first-of-its-kind analysis of Texas arrest and conviction records.

Compared to undocumented immigrants, U.S. citizens were twice as likely to be arrested for violent felonies in Texas from 2012 to 2018, two-and-a-half times more likely to be arrested for felony drug crimes, and over four times more likely to be arrested for felony property crimes, according to a study published by University of Wisconsin–Madison researchers today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

https://news.wisc.edu/undocumented-immigrants-far-less-likely-to-commit-crimes-in-u-s-than-citizens/