Gun Control

May 27th, 2022 at 1:32:11 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
It takes an unusually patient, caring, reasonably organized and intelligent parent to successfully home school their kids.

Just look at most of us: there is almost always something lacking, some deficiency in upbringing than tends to force us to veer toward the ditch instead of motoring straight ahead.

Call it "bad parenting" as many if not most parents were too often divorced / absent, drunk, stoned, angry, and / or indifferent.

I don't see any reason that home schooling should even be allowed anymore. There are plenty of online schools now even for Elementary age students.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 27th, 2022 at 1:46:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Also, homeschooling is a bad choice for academics, remember you are being taught (and graded) by your parents who in many cases are likely (depending on their age) to have no college education, possibly no high school.... (This is also why I do not buy the studies where people show how homeschool kids have a way higher GPA than public and private school kids, its like well yeah because they are being graded by their parents, everyone's parents is going to give them straight As....).

Not even close. Homeschool kids do not have to deal with disruptive kids in the class. They do not have to deal with the teacher teaching to the slowest in the class. They can deeper explore parts of the subject that really interest them. It is a great thing for so many. And that has the teacher's unions scared to death.

I have to wonder how many people you think have no high school?
The President is a fink.
May 27th, 2022 at 1:49:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I don't see any reason that home schooling should even be allowed anymore. There are plenty of online schools now even for Elementary age students.

What is the difference between that and parents designing their own lesson plans as long as either meets state guidelines.
The President is a fink.
May 27th, 2022 at 3:54:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
I expect that not many people on this forum or lefties would suspect that the US is not even in the top 10 of gun deaths / capita.

"Countries with the Highest Rates of Violent Gun Death (Homicides) per 100k residents in 2019
El Salvador (36.78)
Venezuela (33.27)
Guatemala (29.06)
Colombia (26.36)
Brazil (21.93)
Bahamas (21.52)
Honduras (20.15)
U.S. Virgin Islands (19.40)
Puerto Rico (18.14)
Mexico (16.41)"

How does this align with the open southern border that Biden is allowing right now?

Well two of those "countries" are the U.S.... (territories or protectorates, meaning they are full citizens and part of the U.S.A). [Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands]

The other countries have active conflicts or widespread gang warfare (also that list does not factor gun suicides and accidental deaths.....)

But, no overall the list of homicides does not surprise me, though I would think this year it would be quite different (Syria, Afghanistan, and Ukraine perhaps.... if they consider warzones as homicide deaths, which they may not, not much of their definitions makes sense) The only thing surprising about the list is the definition of "countries".
May 27th, 2022 at 4:24:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Not even close. Homeschool kids do not have to deal with disruptive kids in the class. They do not have to deal with the teacher teaching to the slowest in the class. They can deeper explore parts of the subject that really interest them. It is a great thing for so many. And that has the teacher's unions scared to death.

I have to wonder how many people you think have no high school?

It varies by State, but over 20% in some states....

Now its about 10% of all Americans (total population). (Again vast disparity by States, high population urban states tend to skew up that statistic as opposed to many rural states with small populations but a higher percentage of no high school)
https://www.russellsage.org/sites/all/files/chartbook/Educational%20Attainment%20and%20Achievement.pdf
(This is a graph by year. To show that older parents or guardians are far more likely to not have HS, basically every 10 years of age the chance that somebody is a HS graduate significantly decreases....). Going back to the 1930s where very few people graduated high school (an 8th grade level education was considered high).....

(And, before you say its unlikely for 80-90 year old to be parents, true, but they can be guardians, especially of grandchildren in marginalized communities.....)
My great grandfather retired as an engineer from Boeing, he ran away when he was 9, so he never even had an 8th grade certificate, but was just very good at math and design (helped design some of the early helicopters before most people even knew what helicopters were, when Boeing took over some helicopter research place in Eastern PA in the late 1950s). This would never be allowed to be the case today, the idea would be laughed out of the room. Education just was not looked at as importantly back then, people cared about what you were able to contribute to an organization even if you had zero credentials and a sketchy past.

The point is it was not that long ago (less than 100 years) that finishing 8th grade was considered relatively educated, and High School was equivalent to a bachelor's today.

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/32785054/w4762.pdf?sequence=1

And, states with less high school graduates tend to have less restrictive homeschool requirements and audits, so its a self-defeating cycle....

All of those concerns you mention could also be cured by self study self paced online high school (where they receive legit lessons)....

Quote: AZDuffman
What is the difference between that and parents designing their own lesson plans as long as either meets state guidelines.

Who performs the grading of papers and exams is a big difference (perhaps the most important depending on who you ask).

If you grade your kids papers, they are getting straight As regardless of quality (or if they even do them)......
Very few states have strict audits of homeschooling. And even those that do, its laughably enforced... (Again, States with the least educated parents tend to have the least regulation and audits).
May 27th, 2022 at 4:40:24 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Unfortunately, it appears there were no good guys with guns immediately on the scene at Robb Elementary.
Don't get me wrong, there were guns, just no good guys holding them & willing to protect the lives of children.
Not until the BorTac Team showed up 45 minutes after the shooting started. Those were the good guys with guns.
Although did anyone else think one of those guys was the same guy whipping migrants with his horse's reins?

Fortify the soft targets already!
Put armed personnel trained to deal with active shooters on site & cameras/surveillance.
Give them access to AR-15's and train them how to shoot from distance & inside buildings.
Doors that lock upon exit, limit the entry points, we do it with all kinds of buildings today.
Have you gone into a federal courthouse/building or a weed dispensary?
They have men with guns and choke point entrances.
It will take some Ukraine type money, but it can get done.
But please warn the Dems & Lefties, some 'walls' & fencing are likely to get built.

Type: 9760 W Pico Blvd, LA, CA 90065 into Google Maps.
It's a Jewish School, go to street view and look at the front & side entrances.
Choke entrance points, locked fortified doors, lots of cameras. This isn't rocket science.

Or you can try to "outlaw" the production & confiscate the existing semi-automatic rifles.
My guess is there is 30-50M semi-automatic rifles in the US.
Let's say 40M. You need to pay for them in order to get them turned in, damn that "Takings Clause"
The Uvelda A$$hole's Daniel Defense model costs $2,000.
Anyone want to spend $80 Billion on a gun buy back program?
Maybe take a look at the budget to fortify the schools again.

Unfortunately, my semi-automatic rifle was lost in a boating accident some time ago.
So I won't be able to turn it in despite the fact that background check records indicate I own one.
Otherwise, I would definitely comply with any mandate.
It definitely seems Constitutional. Although, now that I think about that 6-3 SCOTUS,
Mabybe I would wait for them to weigh in before scouring the lake bottom to find mine.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
May 27th, 2022 at 4:47:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: JCW09

Unfortunately, my semi-automatic rifle was lost in a boating accident some time ago.o.

Fine. I.e.,

$10,000 fine unless you find it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2022 at 4:59:05 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: rxwine
$10,000 fine unless you find it.

I already reported it lost at sea, why would I be fined for that?
What make believe world do you live in that a government can fine you for a lost item?
May 27th, 2022 at 5:05:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Just having some fun.

There probably is a way to deal with a suspicious number of cases of “lost weapons” but I’m too lazy to think about it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2022 at 5:19:02 PM permalink
JCW09
I hear you, I am just saying, it is impossible to get 40M weapons out of the hands of law abiding Americans.
Seriously think about the what it would take to compensate Americans for 40M semi-auto rifles.
Then how little you have done to solve the problem when there are another 100M semi-auto pistols out there.
And you'll never get Glocks & the like to be turned in, America is not in favor of outlawing handguns.
A lot easier and better spend of government $$ to start hardening the targets.