Gun Control

April 10th, 2023 at 4:17:47 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
We should all be buying stock in gun manufacturers. Everytime there is a shooting the public feels unsafe and buys more guns. More guns, more shootings. More shooting more gun sales. We are all going to be rich (or dead).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 11th, 2023 at 10:22:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The P320 is one of the nation’s most popular handguns. A variant of the weapon is the standard-issue sidearm for every branch of the U.S. military. Since its introduction to the commercial market in 2014, manufacturer SIG Sauer has sold the P320 to hundreds of thousands of civilians, and the gun has been used by officers at more than a thousand law enforcement agencies across the nation, court records show.

It has also gruesomely injured scores of people who say the gun has a potentially deadly defect.

More than 100 people allege that their P320 pistols discharged when they did not pull the trigger, an eight-month investigation by The Trace and The Washington Post has found. At least 80 people were wounded in the shootings, which date to 2016.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 11th, 2023 at 12:39:56 PM permalink
DRich
July 1st in Florida concealed carry permits will not be required in Florida. I have no reason to carry now as I almost never have cash on me. When in Las Vegas I was carrying lots of cash and considered carrying a gun but I never did. When sitting in a bar and winning $10k to $50k and being paid in cash when almost everyone in the bar knows you just hit a jackpot could get nerve racking.
April 11th, 2023 at 1:54:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
July 1st in Florida concealed carry permits will not be required in Florida. I have no reason to carry now as I almost never have cash on me. When in Las Vegas I was carrying lots of cash and considered carrying a gun but I never did. When sitting in a bar and winning $10k to $50k and being paid in cash when almost everyone in the bar knows you just hit a jackpot could get nerve racking.

I would often just go to a restaurant, or if there some free music at a bar, go listen to the band playing. People have been followed home and robbed. I don't know how often it happens, but if you leave right away you're making it easier for someone.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 11th, 2023 at 1:55:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Even going to your hotel room could be a bad idea if you're not careful.
April 11th, 2023 at 2:21:32 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: rxwine
I would often just go to a restaurant, or if there some free music at a bar, go listen to the band playing. People have been followed home and robbed. I don't know how often it happens, but if you leave right away you're making it easier for someone.

If I don't have a lot of cash on me I am not terribly worried about getting robbed. I could care less if they get my drivers license and credit cards stolen, I would gladly hand it to them. If I am carrying $20k in cash and someone sees me getting paid I would be very careful. When I would get paid at the bar I would just have them put the cash in a food "to-go" container in the back and bring it out to me. Unlikely anyone is going to rob me for my "hamburger". I also figured if the bar got robbed while I was sitting there no one would ask for my "food" that is sitting on the bar next to me.
April 30th, 2023 at 12:01:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://nypost.com/2023/04/30/texas-shooting-suspect-who-killed-5-neighbors-including-child-could-be-anywhere-now-as-police-widen-search/

Pretty shocking case. Guy firing his AR15 on his property at night around 11pm keeping the neighbors baby awake. Over the fence they ask him to stop. He reloads, goes into the neighbors house and shoots 5 people including an 8 year old. All shots were on the neck and above. These were executions. Some of the adults were found dead covering bloody unhurt toddlers.
Manhunt in progress
Apparently firing a gun on your property at night just for fun is common in TX. Apparently it's common to come home from work, get drunk and start firing weapons.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 30th, 2023 at 4:42:01 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
https://nypost.com/2023/04/30/texas-shooting-suspect-who-killed-5-neighbors-including-child-could-be-anywhere-now-as-police-widen-search/

Pretty shocking case. Guy firing his AR15 on his property at night around 11pm keeping the neighbors baby awake. Over the fence they ask him to stop. He reloads, goes into the neighbors house and shoots 5 people including an 8 year old. All shots were on the neck and above. These were executions. Some of the adults were found dead covering bloody unhurt toddlers.
Manhunt in progress
Apparently firing a gun on your property at night just for fun is common in TX. Apparently it's common to come home from work, get drunk and start firing weapons.

One thing I don't understand is why most of the stories explicitly say what type of a gun it was. What difference does that make? Would it be better if it was a 22 pistol?
April 30th, 2023 at 6:57:08 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
One thing I don't understand is why most of the stories explicitly say what type of a gun it was. What difference does that make? Would it be better if it was a 22 pistol?[/q

That is the plan for gun control. Highlight one type (currently AK's and clones), once you get it banned go to a different type until you get that banned. Keep rinsing and repeating until no more guns.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 1st, 2023 at 12:50:16 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
One thing I don't understand is why most of the stories explicitly say what type of a gun it was. What difference does that make? Would it be better if it was a 22 pistol?

From the article:

"Fully automatic weapons are only legal if they were manufactured and registered prior to May of 1986."

Semi-automatic weapons are legal unless banned by State or local law. The gun expert is quoted as saying:

"Somebody that's fast on the trigger can make a semi-automatic run just about as fast as a full-auto"

"as long as you keep your finger on the trigger the gun will continue to fire"

The focus of gun control advocates is on these weapons which can do much more damage in a much shorter amount of time than can an ordinary gun.

This is why the news articles mention they type of gun used.

https://kval.com/news/local/gun-expert-breaks-down-difference-between-semi-automatic-and-fully-automatic-guns

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him