1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
3 votes (21.42%)

14 members have voted

July 7th, 2014 at 8:33:52 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
The short answer is that was not extended.
July 7th, 2014 at 9:25:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Once again my OOM says why would you need to read a top speed of (268 mph) on a 19 mile trip to the airport? I mean given the amount of time you invest in flying to some destination, what difference does it really make if you get to the airport in 8 minutes or 20 minutes?

The difference is MagLev both fascinates people plus thee extra cost leaves lots more of the project to be scraped off and line pockets at every level. Pittsburgh has been on the list to be a MagLev "test project" for 20+ years now. MagLev is one of those ideas that while sound in principle will never work in the real world for a host of simple reasons.

But at the same time it looks and sounds so cool that billions is going to be spent trying to force it to work.
The President is a fink.
July 7th, 2014 at 10:12:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Maglev is so expensive that every cowtown will want a stop and "the locomotive will never get out of second gear". The Salad Bowl Express from Rich Republicans farming with free federal water to Rich Distributors in Hunts Point, NY would be great. Perishable commodity going non stop, but try getting it built?

As to editing in Wikipedia,,, if you don't agree on a compromise text, Wikipedia will eventually impose a freeze and redflag your editorial privileges and then lock the thread permanently.
July 7th, 2014 at 10:25:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
As some of you know, I don't do well with ambiguity.

That is strange, I would think you would be the first to accept the influence of variance.

Who decides on traffic light times? In many places its not a city or county. Phoenix has so many suburbs that lights are determined by some interagency coordinating committee.

Who decides on time zone boundaries.... heck , originally some railroad clerk did and they didn't always know much about dividing lines or care too much. Commerce does not always obey the map that is drawn in Washington. Local cow towns often vote on behalf of local cows, not national uniformity.

So to explain my "OTHER" vote, I offer the solution is to set your watch as you wish and command the cows to wake up when you want them to and to stroll along to the Chamber of Commerce and "moo" in protest at the Chamber's vote if they wish to. Local option may seem strange in a national system, well China's "one time zone" seems kind of strange too.

Now if there were a pretty CW being offered as the prize, I might have a different view, but in these local option areas its usually a rural area and the only prize offered is a bull... and there is lots of that being slung about locally on the issue already.
July 7th, 2014 at 10:45:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
As to editing in Wikipedia,,, if you don't agree on a compromise text, Wikipedia will eventually impose a freeze and redflag your editorial privileges and then lock the thread permanently.

I'd be happy to try to find compromise text. I think my wording already is a good compromise, but Famartin does nothing but revert to his original wording. How does one start the process to settle such disagreements?

Quote: Fleastiff
That is strange, I would think you would be the first to accept the influence of variance.

Who decides on traffic light times? In many places its not a city or county. Phoenix has so many suburbs that lights are determined by some interagency coordinating committee.

Traffic light times is not my area of expertise, but I would assume that there is a traffic agency in any given city to decide such things. Perhaps a better example would be the issue of whether or not Pluto is a planet. I hate to just say "yes" or "no." I see Wikipedia quotes it as being a "minor planet." They also have a good treatment of the controversy.

In other words, if something is reasonably in dispute, I'm okay with saying that. Like dice setting. I don't believe in it, but say things like the "jury is out" whether or not it truly works.

What bothers me is people like Famartin who insist their point of view is fact.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 7th, 2014 at 11:06:49 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I just finished a first draft of my blog entry on Jackpot. Please have a look.
July 7th, 2014 at 11:38:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You spent a whole day in Jackpot? On
purpose? A noteworthy achievement
in and of itself..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2014 at 11:40:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
You spent a whole day in Jackpot?

Yep. How else am I going to find gems like this?

July 7th, 2014 at 12:19:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Yep. How else am I going to find gems like this?

Having been called a misogynist in another
thread, I can't be offended by this, I'm
forced to embrace its message.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2014 at 1:35:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Don't some in Vegas want to go on DT
so people who drive in from Calif have
an extra hour to gamble? I know I read
it somewhere.
Page 10 of 13« First<78910111213>