I Quit My Job

September 6th, 2015 at 9:29:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
One PT soccer coach ended his career when a goalie took a ball across his own goal line while throwing it out.... automatic goal awarded to nearest offensive player at the time, but he never got called to officiate again.

don't overlook lifeguard positions... usually an insurance policy guarantees they will employ certified life guards. even in NYcity and environs, the ones who've been doing it for awhile get to be the top guards and get plum assignments. Large housing complexes sometimes pay well to have a lifeguard on duty because they dont want headlines.
September 7th, 2015 at 3:44:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Unemployment rate is down because participation is falling.

The media need to quit helping out the politicians by quoting the unemployment the way they do. It's manipulated anyway, they say you can't really compare unemployment now with that stat in the Great Depression because the way it is measured has changed so much.

The participation rate is a huge thing now, and there really is no excuse IMO for the media not to start reporting U4 if not U5 or U6 every damn time. It's the official way a lot of others do it.

Face is not part of the unemployment statistic we hear and would not be also if he was not employed and not trying to get unemployment compensation!! [I believe I am correct about that last bit]

Quote: wikipedia article

U1: Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
U2: Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
U3: Official unemployment rate per the ILO definition occurs when people are without jobs and they have actively looked for work within the past four weeks.[1]
U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
U6: U5 + Part-time workers who want to work full-time, but cannot due to economic reasons (underemployment).
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 7th, 2015 at 7:23:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
The media need to quit helping out the politicians by quoting the unemployment the way they do. It's manipulated anyway, they say you can't really compare unemployment now with that stat in the Great Depression because the way it is measured has changed so much.

Right, modern methods go to the immediate post-WWII period. This is the same reason we cannot compare the cost of something in 1860 to today, the modern dollar started in 1914.

Quote:
Face is not part of the unemployment statistic we hear and would not be also if he was not employed and not trying to get unemployment compensation!! [I believe I am correct about that last bit]

I don't think it is about "unemployment compensation" I think it just matters that you are looking for employmemt. For example, a 1099er can't get UC but still looks for a job. I may be wrong, but I never heard the UC being the thing.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2015 at 11:20:41 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Don't limit yourself here! I know a guy (why do I find myself always saying that!) who told me about reffing lacrosse. IIRC it pays about $75 a game. But if you do 2 or even 3 games a day/night that adds up. Best part is in these parts not that hard to get into, they start you with the kiddies and let you work your way up to the better games. He claims you can self-teach and that if you understand hockey it is not that different.

I have to check back with him and maybe it ends in the side hustle thread. Lots of other sports one can do also. You need some kind of cert for HS level though.

No way, man. I'm not a runner, not even when I was a 10yr old overflowing with manic energy. My whole life has been dedicated to explosive power, with my absolute max being 100yds in case of a punt return or int. 90' is my wheelhouse. Anything more and they'll have to wheel me out a bottle of O2 lol. Same goes for soccer. I'd have a better chance sorting out nuclear fission than making it up and down the pitch twice XD

Fortunately, there is no shortage of rinks in my area, should this ref deal pan out. There's 7 different ones that I already play at. Start including the ones I don't, the new Harbor Center, and ones more inner city, and we're talking 30+ opportunities. At $30+ a game and anywhere from 2 to 7 games a day, it's a real opportunity for some financial relief.

Face is not part of the unemployment statistic we hear...

That's the biggest joke ever, innit? As a single man with kid making $15k p/yr, I'm counted as a "positive" because I'm not technically "unemployed".

All's well, nothing to see here. Laughable.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 7th, 2015 at 1:38:41 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't think it is about "unemployment compensation" I think it just matters that you are looking for employmemt. For example, a 1099er can't get UC but still looks for a job. I may be wrong, but I never heard the UC being the thing.

well, if you are looking for UC then you are known to the whole apparatus. There might be other ways they know about you, but what are they?* Once you no longer qualify for unemployment [being so many weeks] and you still use "them" to try to find a job, then they still know about you. If you don't use them, then they don't. The thing is, for most people, these government-run entities are awful places to find a job.

*I think unions have some special way they manage and report unemployment?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 7th, 2015 at 2:23:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Don't mean to be rude, but it's more traditional to look at the effects of the economy when your job quits you, not the other way around.

Eh, (don't slap me) but if a family member tells me there's no work because of the economy, but I know he quit a job I'm at least going to raise an eyebrow at that statement.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2015 at 5:28:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

well, if you are looking for UC then you are known to the whole apparatus. There might be other ways they know about you, but what are they?* Once you no longer qualify for unemployment [being so many weeks] and you still use "them" to try to find a job, then they still know about you. If you don't use them, then they don't. The thing is, for most people, these government-run entities are awful places to find a job.

*I think unions have some special way they manage and report unemployment?

I was always taught that they use phone and I assume now other polling to get the rate, not UC stats.

Meanwhile, this economy is not my or Face's imagination on job growth:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-07/698k-native-born-americans-lost-their-job-august-why-suddenly-most-important-jobs-ch
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2015 at 6:41:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Don't mean to be rude, but it's more traditional to look at the effects of the economy when your job quits you, not the other way around.

Eh, (don't slap me) but if a family member tells me there's no work because of the economy, but I know he quit a job I'm at least going to raise an eyebrow at that statement.

Not taken as rude. Even if you meant to be rude, I'd likely look past it to see what you're saying =)

And I do get what you're saying. But seriously, this is crazy. Not that I'm all that old or have a ton of experience in looking for jobs, but I must say I am shocked at what I'm seeing now. I think my longest job search previous to this might have been 4-6 months. Typically, I'd send in apps and be on the job two weeks later, sort of a bing-bang-boom. And that was with no experience, terrible work history, and a pretty interesting drug habit. Not to mention little to no effort on resumes, cover letters, or call-backs.

In evaluating myself, I fail to see where my problem lies. As I said, my resume / cover letter game isn't a generic piece that I shotgun to every open position. Each one is tailored to the specific needs of the job I'm seeking. My last two jobs have both been long term. My references are glowing, and all are from professionals in high positions. Despite my admitted struggles in high school, the record only shows that I received a Regents diploma with 90's average. About the only weak spot I have is that I attended college yet did not degree out, but a simple check of the work history shows that I went from entry level to high position very quickly. Hell, I went from gas pumper to GM of a multi-million dollar operation in less that two years. I held an investigator position in gaming, which obviously requires a lot of (I would think) desired skills. Everything from confidence to attention to detail to ability to learn and know a skillion different procedures and laws. Any check into my social media is only going to reveal that I'm physically active, no stranger to physical effort or danger, and that I'm very involved in raising my kid. I'm a federal employee with an unrestricted carry permit who used to hold the highest license in tribal gaming, so I sure have no criminal history they need worry about. And I'm 34. Old enough to not be a jagoff, young enough to not be unteachable.

I really thought people would be banging down their doors to get a hold of me. I guess I got a little too cocky.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 7th, 2015 at 7:16:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's plain and simple, you have no skill
anybody wants. My brother was in the
same fix at 54, went to driving school and
got a CDL and hasn't been out of a job
yet. He could quit tomorrow and find
5 jobs tomorrow, high paying jobs,
local jobs, and he's almost 60. He has
a skill that's in very high demand,
and experience and a clean record.
Right now he makes $22 an hour
moving trucks between the
factories of a company that has
different branch's locally. At least
10 hours of OT a month at $33 an
hour. He's home every night, he
hated driving on the road.

Get a skill, you'll never regret it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2015 at 8:44:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
resumes often are used to screen out, emphasis is on excluding.

One lawyer had CERCLA on his resume but wasn't getting interviews until he changed it to SUPERFUND.

One captain resigned from the army and sent a resume in response to an add from boston University.
He promptly got a rude rejection letter and a call to an interview. It seems they reject all applications automatically.