Pet Peeves

Page 19 of 21« First<161718192021>
December 8th, 2023 at 3:46:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Get off the f____ phone and watch for the turn light! Especially, if you're the front car or two in the lane.

I could probably repeat this one about every 3 days.
on the other hand, don't blair your horn at me because it's been 2 milliseconds since the light turned green and I haven't moved yet
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 8th, 2023 at 5:06:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
No worries, I wait at least 3 milliseconds.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 9th, 2023 at 10:53:46 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
No worries, I wait at least 3 milliseconds.

I think there was a study done a while ago that most people can not recognize an event in 200ms.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 9th, 2023 at 10:59:22 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
I think there was a study done a while ago that most people can not recognize an event in 200ms.

Fastest reaction times are 150ms but most people are 200ms or more. Reflex reactions are in the 80ms range but don't involve the brain.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 9th, 2023 at 1:59:58 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: kenarman
Fastest reaction times are 150ms but most people are 200ms or more. Reflex reactions are in the 80ms range but don't involve the brain.

I created a Pacman game on a time share system in college. I didn't consider the delay people experience before pressing an arrow key to change the direction. On a time share system you pay for every CPU cycle used. Everyone that played my game ran their account out of money before the students could get their work done and they couldn't login because their accounts were out of money before they started their homework. The university was in a tizzy thinking they had a problem with their system because they didn't know all the kids were playing Pacman. A one line code change fixed everything when I told the system to sleep for 250ms before checking for key presses.
December 9th, 2023 at 2:06:42 PM permalink
kenarman
I created a Pacman game on a time share system in college. I didn't consider the delay people experience before pressing an arrow key to change the direction. On a time share system you pay for every CPU cycle used. Everyone that played my game ran their account out of money before the students could get their work done and they couldn't login because their accounts were out of money before they started their homework. The university was in a tizzy thinking they had a problem with their system because they didn't know all the kids were playing Pacman. A one line code change fixed everything when I told the system to sleep for 250ms before checking for key presses.

You did what many people seem unable to do today. Inadvertently created a problem, figured out why and fixed it without direction.
December 9th, 2023 at 2:29:02 PM permalink
DRich
You did what many people seem unable to do today. Inadvertently created a problem, figured out why and fixed it without direction.

Thank you. I was fortunate enough to realize the issue on a Monday morning after the game went live on Saturday. I have no idea the true cost of the mistake, but I would guess it was over $200,000 in those two days. Sadly, not the most expensive computer bug that I have made. I once cost a business many millions of dollars over a two day period.
December 9th, 2023 at 2:56:21 PM permalink
kenarman
Thank you. I was fortunate enough to realize the issue on a Monday morning after the game went live on Saturday. I have no idea the true cost of the mistake, but I would guess it was over $200,000 in those two days. Sadly, not the most expensive computer bug that I have made. I once cost a business many millions of dollars over a two day period.

Impressive, were you unemployed after that whoops?
December 9th, 2023 at 6:11:43 PM permalink
DRich
Impressive, were you unemployed after that whoops?

No, my bug enabled almost all Mastercard transactions in Canada for two days to get paid to the wrong businesses. Fortunately, there is a large body responsible for testing major changes to the network before it goes live. They tested it and passed it so they ended up taking most of the blame and I got off relatively free.
December 9th, 2023 at 10:09:57 PM permalink
kenarman
No, my bug enabled almost all Mastercard transactions in Canada for two days to get paid to the wrong businesses. Fortunately, there is a large body responsible for testing major changes to the network before it goes live. They tested it and passed it so they ended up taking most of the blame and I got off relatively free.

You live a charmed life DR not counting your health issues. Maybe even including them seeing you are still alive.
Page 19 of 21« First<161718192021>