Pet Peeves

Page 3 of 21<123456>Last »
December 18th, 2016 at 8:16:39 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
The weather advisory says "till 12 PM" - why not say "12 noon" just like ordinary people?

It makes me go through this thing of "that's odd, till midnight, NO, wait, 12 AM is midnight, so 12 PM is noon!"

It's one of those pet peeves that gets thrown back in your face: "if you weren't such a dunderhead you wouldn't be thinking midnight for "AM" in the first place!" Even though PM = evening, AM = morning for our ordinary lives

We had a thread earlier about this problem and it is even more confusing than your post. Although there is somewhat of a convention on the meaning of 12AM and 12PM they are totally ambiguous. According the National Physics Laboratory " There are no standards established for the meaning of 12 a.m. and 12 p.m."
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 22nd, 2016 at 5:26:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Obligatory "What do you feed peeves" question?

What do you feed peeves?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 29th, 2016 at 3:32:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
Happened again.

Went to Paypal account when I realized I never changed my address with them. Looked and looked and could not figure out how to access that part of my account. Went to google and put in "how do I change address paypal" and how to do it comes right up.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. It's most astonishing when the search engine that the site provides will not take you to something they *sell* and, lo and behold, you find it using google. Yes, at their site!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 26th, 2017 at 5:09:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
There is something that TV show producers clearly like that is just stupid and drives me nuts: they get the idea that having their live show thrown out in the crowd or the street, or with such in the background, would just be wonderful.

Dubious to begin with.

In reality what happens is you give a bunch of clowns an opportunity to disrupt. Latest example: local sports cable channel showing Capitals hockey decides to put the intermission show out into the crowd that's milling around. Of course half of them are well lubricated by booze, starved for attention, and start waving and cutting up in the background.

Yes Mr. Producer, some wonderful TV. Yet this sort of thing can go on for years I've noticed.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 26th, 2017 at 5:44:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

In reality what happens is you give a bunch of clowns an opportunity to disrupt. Latest example: local sports cable channel showing Capitals hockey decides to put the intermission show out into the crowd that's milling around. Of course half of them are well lubricated by booze, starved for attention, and start waving and cutting up in the background.

Never understood the "waving to the camera" thing. Once was at a large meeting with media coverage, they were trying to get a shot of the crowd. Camera had a huge light on it. People saw it and just tons of them waving. Why?
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2017 at 6:20:30 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
My biggest pet peeve?

The absolute nastiness of people that I work with who have nasty bathroom habits...like:

--not washing their hands
--throwing paper towels all over the place
--not flushing
--leaving the shitter clogged

I never, ever shake hands again with someone who I see walking out of the restroom without having washed their hands. Never. I am not a germaphobe, but holy crap...

I make a scene when someone clogs the shitter and I end up unclogging it. I say things loudly that carry throughout the building regarding the nastiness, hoping the guilty party will be embarrassed (not likely) or that someone else will know who the nasty person is (more likely). Another person that I will never shake hands with, if identified.

Why can't people treat their work john or borrowed one like they do the ones at home? I can't even consider the thought that people live at home like they do at work as far as that area is concerned...though it is possible...
February 26th, 2017 at 10:56:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: RonC
Why can't people treat their work john or borrowed one like they do the ones at home? I
They do.
February 26th, 2017 at 4:26:53 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
People who microwave fish at work in the break room. Or steal lunches from the break room refrigerator.
February 26th, 2017 at 4:39:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: zippyboy
Or steal lunches from the break room refrigerator.

That one I can never believe. Anyone can grab the wrong one but just put it right back. But to steal someone's brown bag lunch?
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2017 at 6:01:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
That one I can never believe. Anyone can grab the wrong one but just put it right back. But to steal someone's brown bag lunch?

Yeah, goes great if you already had a rough morning and find out your lunch has been eaten.

I've heard stories of people getting back at lunch stealers, so it's not necessarily a crime without risk. "Hey, that tuna fish sandwich I brought in was mostly cat food!"
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 21<123456>Last »