Scottish independence -- How would you vote?

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
Poll
No votes (0%)
5 votes (62.5%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

September 20th, 2014 at 1:07:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
By your definition EB nobody lives in 2/3 of the USA.

Exactly. That's why Scotland was a yawner.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2014 at 2:22:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Scotland has 67 people per square km. That would put them 18th on the list of states by population density. By your definition EB nobody lives in 2/3 of the USA.

Actually much of the USA is very underpopulated. Even if you take out Alaska it is amazing how much empty space west of St Louis and east of the west coast. It amazed me the first time I flew cross-country and still does if I drive it.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2014 at 3:45:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Actually much of the USA is very underpopulated.

My wife's parents live in mid MI, near Mt
Pleasant. Middle of nowhere doesn't do
it justice. 20 miles from the nearest freeway,
it's an old hunting lodge in a pine forest.
When you stand outside you can hear, well,
not a thing. No noise in the distance, just
the wind in the trees sometimes. They have
5 acres of woods and in back of that there
is just miles of woods where nobody lives.
I'd hate it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2014 at 4:25:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
Actually much of the USA is very underpopulated. Even if you take out Alaska it is amazing how much empty space west of St Louis and east of the west coast. It amazed me the first time I flew cross-country and still does if I drive it.

Yes that part of the country has lots of empty space but so do most of the southern states other than Florida and New England is relatively sparse as well near the Canadian border.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 20th, 2014 at 4:48:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Yes that part of the country has lots of empty space but so do most of the southern states other than Florida and New England is relatively sparse as well near the Canadian border.

When I was a PCO my bosses lived in North Jersey and Long Island. What they called "the next town" and what we upstate called the same meant two totally different things. It was useless to have conversations involving geography as they could simply not grasp how much more travel time my crew had to deal with. I hate the overpopulated coasts with overpriced land and housing.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2014 at 6:19:54 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
My future/current wife and I hitchhiked across Canada many, many years ago. Late in the afternoon we stopped at a small store at a crossroads in Prince Edward Island. We wanted to make it to the beach/national park to camp for the night. I had a map (pre GPS) and asked him how far to the beach to confirm what I thought it was. He looked at me and asked when are you trying to get there. I replied today. He answered I don't know it is quite a ways. Thinking maybe I had screwed up my map reading I then asked him how far. His answer "must be almost 15 miles". When you live on a small island distance takes on a different meaning.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 6 of 6« First<3456