God loves you. So what?

December 26th, 2015 at 1:01:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Evenbob originally said the Church still banns its members from watching certain movies and then gave a little list. I never said that Bob's friend was lying only that the idea the Church still bans people from certain movies under penalty of mortal sin is not true. The encyclical from Pius XII is worth a read and will help put some needed perspective.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 26th, 2015 at 1:06:54 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
It is very true and it has the same effect as realizing that your rights as a human being do not come from some benevolent government that can withdrawl said rights at any time. You are loved by God unconditionally and forever. So what? So when you look around and your friends are not around or they have betrayed you, when your family doesn't understand you or aren't there for you, when you even feel bad about yourself you could still have hope that there is a love that remains. No one, no thing, can ever separate you from the love of God.

I think the point is, it's kinda pointless, isn't it?

Whether or not you know god loves you won't change your position in life. God may or may not intercede on your behalf. The story of Job is an example of him not interceding on your behalf, and of reducing someone to having only god's love left.

So what do you get from god's love? Hope? you certainly can't hope that things will get better for you, in this life. Prayer doesn't work that way. God doesn't work that way. Your lot in life and whatnot.

I think one of the best message that believers can learn is: God helps those who help themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helps_those_who_help_themselves
that concept isn't verbatim in the bible, though.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 26th, 2015 at 1:08:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You are loved by God unconditionally and forever. So what? So when you look around and your friends are not around or they have betrayed you, when your family doesn't understand you or aren't there for you, when you even feel bad about yourself you could still have hope that there is a love that remains. No one, no thing, can ever separate you from the love of God.

So what?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 26th, 2015 at 1:09:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Evenbob originally said the Church still banns its members from watching certain movies and then gave a little list. I never said that Bob's friend was lying only that the idea the Church still bans people from certain movies under penalty of mortal sin is not true. The encyclical from Pius XII is worth a read and will help put some needed perspective.

ok. I agree that the church does not currently ban members from watching movies, or call it sinful, for watching them. They do strongly advise against watching morally offensive movies, though, and thinks it could be damaging to your soul to watch them.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 26th, 2015 at 1:37:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
ok. I agree that the church does not currently ban members from watching movies, or call it sinful, for watching them.

I just had my usual Saturday chat with
my ex priest friend. He was a priest in
the early 60's. Without telling him a
thing about this discussion, I asked to
to talk about movies in the days when
he was a priest. He said there was a
list of movies you couldn't see, and it
was a sin if you did see them. He pretty
much backed up everything I linked
to here. It's nice to have a legitimate
source that doesn't have an agenda
to fulfill.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2015 at 3:57:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
So what?

So...doesn't it matter that no matter what it is happening in your life there is someone who loves you, cares about you, and thinks you are wonderful? When you feel abandoned, you are not. When you feel worthless, you are not. When you feel despised, you are not. When you feel ugly, you are not.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 26th, 2015 at 3:59:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
I've said it before I have serious questions about the formation of your ex-priest friend Ed. I don't doubt he is telling the truth that someone told him not to see these movies and it was a sin. Did you happen to ask him if the Church in America still does this today? Oh and watching his youtube videos do you really think he doesn't have an agenda?
December 26th, 2015 at 4:55:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So...doesn't it matter that no matter what it is happening in your life there is someone who loves you, cares about you, and thinks you are wonderful?

And doesn't as much as lift a finger to help, comfort or support you?

No. It makes no difference.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 26th, 2015 at 4:59:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
Does someone's love need to lift a finger to be real?

I know we have different views in regards to love but I know a few couples for at times one was unable to lift and finger and one whose spouse was paralyzed. The love of the one who could not help was a constant source of inspiration and help.

However, I disagree that God doesn't help, comfort, or support.
December 26th, 2015 at 5:19:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Does someone's love need to lift a finger to be real?

someone needs to be real to lift a finger

Quote:
I know we have different views in regards to love but I know a few couples for at times one was unable to lift and finger and one whose spouse was paralyzed. The love of the one who could not help was a constant source of inspiration and help.

I'm sure to those people there was little doubt that the other was real. However, I'm sure you know that lifting a finger is figurative. Like many of the stories in the bible.

Quote:
However, I disagree that God doesn't help, comfort, or support.

There are 3 possibilities:
god is not real, and can not help, comfort, or support because he is not real
god is real and does not help, comfort, or support
god is real and does help, comfort, and support

so the good news is 2 possibilities out of 3 have god existing. the bad news is 2 possibilities out of 3 have him not helping.