And the Oscar goes to a movie you have never seen

March 29th, 2022 at 10:43:38 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Pacomartin
He got the crucial justification into the apology. "Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally."

Old saying: "I fought for her honor, which is more than she ever did."

Point being: if affront was given Jada should have objected, not Smith.

She ain't him, he ain't her, and his actions in her defense shows he ain't "woke."

What a tool.
March 29th, 2022 at 1:44:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Greg Gutfeld got it right last night when he said if Chris Rock had insulted Mel Gibson's wife and Mel Gibson had slapped him, Mel Gibson would be in the LA County Jail with no bail and he would never work in Hollywood again. That's how big the double standard is now. If you're black you can get away with almost everything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 29th, 2022 at 1:58:33 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Greg Gutfeld got it right last night when he said if Chris Rock had insulted Mel Gibson's wife and Mel Gibson had slapped him, Mel Gibson would be in the LA County Jail with no bail and he would never work in Hollywood again. That's how big the double standard is now. If you're black you can get away with almost everything.

I said that the second I became aware of the incident. I told my wife his being Black protected him from any criminal complaint. I was wondering who would bring it up publicly first…..
March 29th, 2022 at 2:16:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I said that the second I became aware of the incident. I told my wife his being Black protected him from any criminal complaint. I was wondering who would bring it up publicly first…..

There is not a person reading this who does not know this would be a totally different story if it was Mel Gibson. 100% different story. That bothers me a lot. But I can guarantee you there are lots of people here who aren't bothered by that at all. And that's truly scary.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 29th, 2022 at 2:38:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
“To be arrested on a misdemeanor, it has to happen in front of the authorities,” Jackson said, “or conversely the person against whom” the crime was allegedly committed has to file a formal complaint with police.

As such, even though the incident was witnessed by countless millions worldwide who tuned in to watch the Oscars, a case against Smith was unlikely to proceed without Rock’s involvement, Jackson said.

It is misdemeanor battery.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2022 at 2:44:01 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
It's been said somewhere that Audiences were getting increasingly bored with the Oscars in recent years and the Will Smith and Chris Rock slap moment brought some much needed fire back to The Oscars. I watched the aftermath on YouTube when I heard about it on my News Channel and noticed that it already had about 20 videos and about a combined 10,000 comments despite just happening a few hours before. I personally didn't really care and it quickly went on my mind's back burner.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
March 30th, 2022 at 6:15:13 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
There is not a person reading this who does not know this would be a totally different story if it was Mel Gibson. 100% different story. That bothers me a lot. But I can guarantee you there are lots of people here who aren't bothered by that at all. And that's truly scary.

Also would have been a completely different story if Jason Momoa had been frisking / groping two actresses up at the podium instead of being groped himself. What if he had been groping Jennifer Lawrence up on stage in front of the whole world?
March 30th, 2022 at 10:18:50 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Riverjordan
It's been said somewhere that Audiences were getting increasingly bored with the Oscars in recent years...

The increasingly low ratings over the years back that up, down from over fifty million viewers to fifteen million.
March 31st, 2022 at 2:22:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: missedhervee
The increasingly low ratings over the years back that up, down from over fifty million viewers to fifteen million.

Audrey Hepburn (4 May 1929 – 20 January 1993), Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003) were examples of actresses that were considered near goddess of old school Hollywood.

I think the transition to not just television, but now to streaming has dulled our sense of wonder to simply see actors walk up to a microphone and give a speech.
March 31st, 2022 at 4:16:02 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
When you only had three choices (or less), the Oscars may have been the best choice available. Now with most people having hundreds, even thousands, of choices it is less often the choice people make. You add to that the liberal nature of the show (as opposed to actors being liberal but not making politics part of the show) and you lose more audience.