Was Jesus God?

August 3rd, 2016 at 8:55:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Welcome back.

Quote: FrGamble
In all the stories of the Old Testament God's "wrath" as you call it is easily avoidable and God pleads through the prophets and through the hearts of mankind for them to avoid the sin.

What sin were all the Egyptian first-born sons guilty of? She asked knowing full well the futility of the question.

Quote:
The New Testament shows God Himself taking our punishment for our mistakes.

The logical conclusion to this flawed premise is: if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 3rd, 2016 at 8:59:15 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Welcome back.

Thank you.

Quote:
What sin were all the Egyptian first-born sons guilty of?

What sin was Jesus guilty of? Sin and violence effects the innocent as well as the guilty, it is part of its heinous nature.

Quote:
The logical conclusion to this flawed premise is: if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:04:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Thank you.

Don't be too hasty. Take your time and think it over.

Quote:
What sin was Jesus guilty of? Sin and violence effects the innocent as well as the guilty, it is part of its heinous nature.

See? I knew my question was completely futile.
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:06:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
So you don't think that sin effects the innocent as well? Sin creates structures of inequality and social injustice.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:12:52 AM permalink
Nareed
So you don't think that sin effects the innocent as well? Sin creates structures of inequality and social injustice.

Imagine the following:

A small, armed gang takes a large building over, seals the exits and threatens to kill all the people trapped inside. Next the police gather all the people related to the gang members and execute them without benefit of a trial or even a legal accusation. And I mean all of their relations. Wives, mothers, sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

The police defend their actions by saying that crime affects the innocent as well.
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:17:11 AM permalink
FrGamble
See I knew my question was an exercise in futility?
August 3rd, 2016 at 9:18:57 AM permalink
Nareed
See I knew my question was an exercise in futility?

Since you ask: no, it wasn't.
August 3rd, 2016 at 12:21:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Oh Bob, you are so very confused

You're the one that's confused, you're
the one that maintains gods love is
unconditional, you've said it many many
times, and felt so sorry for me that I
didn't understand.

The truth is (and I know you hate this part):

"Of the more than 800 instances of 'love' in the Bible, none states or implies that God's love is unconditional. Furthermore, there is no official Church document that uses the word 'unconditional' to describe God's love... Ask anyone who spreads this false teaching to show you the evidence that God's love is unconditional, chapter and verse, please -- or to provide the proper citation in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, or any other official Church document."

It's just another Church lie to trick people
into joining you on your flawed mythical
journey. Come on in, you say, god has a
boatload of unconditional love for you.
Then they give you a list of the conditions
and you say WTF have I gotten myself into.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2016 at 2:59:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
Okay we are obviously missing each other here. What do you think unconditional love is?

I think it means that no matter what you do you will still be valued, cared for, and forgiven. You may still very well have to endure punishment or deal with the consequences of your actions, but you will be loved. You seem to think that unconditional love means that there is absolute acceptance for you and freedom from any consequences. Think of a loving father. A loving father doesn't forgo punishment even though he unconditionally loves his son. In fact a hateful father would be the one who would not care about and forgo punishing a child when they did something wrong. The verses you should read are Luke 15:11-32.
August 3rd, 2016 at 3:15:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Okay we are obviously missing each other here. What do you think unconditional love is?

unconditional; not conditional or limited; absolute, unqualified

That's what unconditional means. But it's
irrelevant when applied to Christianity.
Nowhere in the Bible, OT or NT, does
it ever say or even hint that gods love
in unconditional. Jesus never said it, the
gospels don't say it, Paul never even
hints at it. Your Church has no doctrine
on unconditional love. It's nowhere in
your Cathchism.

So it's phony baloney cooked up nonsense
to fool people into joining your cult. You
as well as anybody, being a priest, knows
that your mythical gods 'love' is loaded
with nothing but conditions, it's as far
from unconditional as you can get.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.