Better Call Saul

October 9th, 2018 at 11:50:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
It is too bad they did not center it around Mike. One of my fav all time characters.
I don't know which show it was but apparently Mike's episode of waiting in a parking structure for a security assignment has become one of the internet's favorite. A brief segment when Uncle Fester takes away a man's gun has been viewed zillions of times.
October 10th, 2018 at 6:03:37 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't know which show it was but apparently Mike's episode of waiting in a parking structure for a security assignment has become one of the internet's favorite. A brief segment when Uncle Fester takes away a man's gun has been viewed zillions of times.

That, and the scene when Mike fakes being drunk to lure those cops responsible for his son's death to the alley where he could shoot them himself.

Monday's ep was season finale, and it was lame in general, but Mike's scenes were the best.
October 10th, 2018 at 9:31:51 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Mike lost the ability to claim any moral code, committing this contract killing. [working for Gus]

In the parking lot days, he turned down "wet work".
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 10th, 2018 at 10:36:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Mike lost the ability to claim any moral code, committing this contract killing. [working for Gus]

Did he turn down 'wet work' or was that an excuse for his turning down undesirable wet work.

He turned down the 'leg breaker for a loan shark' because he knew that the 90 percent intimidation is not worth the trouble that can come from the ten percent of real work.

He turned down the 'bell that can't be unrung' gig of killing the hood because he knew such things can reflect badly on the lowly muscle involved in it.

His 'don't shoot the truck driver' act got him identified and got the Good Samaritan sailor killed.

Perhaps he is learning refinements to his moral code.
October 10th, 2018 at 11:05:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Another disappointing episode.

A nothing season, blah. Kim seemed stunned
that the speech Jimmy gave to get his license back
was all a sham. He played them, and she looks
shocked. She's known him all this time, they
have scammed lots of people, and she's shocked?
Not very believable.

The only thing good about this show is Mike.
I'm to the point of not liking the Jimmy character
at all, and am glad for a scene without him in it.
I never liked the Saul character on BB.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 10th, 2018 at 11:05:44 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff

Did he turn down 'wet work' or was that an excuse for his turning down undesirable wet work.

He turned down the 'leg breaker for a loan shark' because he knew that the 90 percent intimidation is not worth the trouble that can come from the ten percent of real work.

He turned down the 'bell that can't be unrung' gig of killing the hood because he knew such things can reflect badly on the lowly muscle involved in it.

His 'don't shoot the truck driver' act got him identified and got the Good Samaritan sailor killed.

Perhaps he is learning refinements to his moral code.
Do you recall where Mike wouldn't kill Tuco for Nacho? He took that face pounding and getting Tuco incarcerated instead.

Then there was the discussion between Nacho and Mike over Mike not killing the van? At the time he was trying to live the last part of some moral code derived from his cop days. No murder for hire, although Mike had killed his sons killers. But that was justified.

Or, am I conflating BB with BCS?
Now he is murdering for a paycheck, no matter if he can blame the engineer or not in his own mind. Hence the question by Gus, "are you sure"?

Kim looked like she was tired of Jimmy's conning to get his lawyer license back.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 10th, 2018 at 11:11:26 AM permalink
Evenbob

Now he is murdering for a paycheck,.

What I got out of was, he knew the German
guy was his fault, and he was pissed he got
played by him. When Mike asked what his
end game was, the German said, come back
and be forgiven by my friend Mike. You
don't piss Mike off, you don't play him.

Reminded me of the scene in BB when Walter
tried to turn Mike against Gus in the bar.
Mike cold coked him, probably would have
done far worse if Walter wasn't so important
to Gus.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 10th, 2018 at 3:58:17 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
What I got out of was, he knew the German
guy was his fault, and he was pissed he got
played by him. When Mike asked what his
end game was, the German said, come back
and be forgiven by my friend Mike. You
don't piss Mike off, you don't play him.

Reminded me of the scene in BB when Walter
tried to turn Mike against Gus in the bar.
Mike cold coked him, probably would have
done far worse if Walter wasn't so important
to Gus.

I thought Mike killed Werner to save his wife. Gus' plan was to kill them both. Originally he told Mike to leave Werner there, and Mike answered, "I'll take care of it."

And, whole idea is that you aren't supposed to like Jimmy/Saul. He is the architect of his own destiny.

I thought the season was pretty slow, but that the last couple episodes were excellent.
October 10th, 2018 at 5:29:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mosca
And, whole idea is that you aren't supposed to like Jimmy/Saul. He is the architect of his own destiny. .

No, the idea is to make Saul a sympathetic
character, like they did with Walter. You
can't have a successful series if the main
character isn't liked. Tony Soprano springs
to mind.
October 10th, 2018 at 7:30:17 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wow, I didn't realize that was the season finale. What a horrible season that was.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.