Do it yourself

September 18th, 2021 at 3:43:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 142
Posts: 23790
Quote: DRich


You don't have people to do all that for you? I'm sorry.


We had a name for people who didn't work on their own stuff. For the guys who paid somebody to mow their lawn or had their oil changed by a mechanic in a garage. I can't say what name that was because I don't want to get suspended again. Let's just say it's not flattering.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2021 at 6:14:32 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 38
Posts: 3000
Quote: Evenbob
We had a name for people who didn't work on their own stuff. For the guys who paid somebody to mow their lawn or had their oil changed by a mechanic in a garage. I can't say what name that was because I don't want to get suspended again. Let's just say it's not flattering.
For.

For most people if they can afford to have someone else do something they don't enjoy, I would call them foolish for doing it. People should spend time doing things they enjoy. I get it, a few people enjoy doing that stuff, but not me.
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?
September 19th, 2021 at 10:14:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 142
Posts: 23790
Quote: DRich
I get it, a few people enjoy doing that stuff, but not me.


A few? Half the fun of owning your home is
doing all the yardwork yourself. It gives
you a feeling of pride of ownership. Used
to be that way with a car till they made
them impossible to work on. You really
think all those guys riding lawn tractors
are miserable? Get real. They are far
happier than watching some guy out
your own window doing the yardwork.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2021 at 2:14:08 PM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 38
Posts: 3000
Quote: Evenbob
A few? Half the fun of owning your home is
doing all the yardwork yourself. It gives
you a feeling of pride of ownership. Used
to be that way with a car till they made
them impossible to work on. You really
think all those guys riding lawn tractors
are miserable? Get real. They are far
happier than watching some guy out
your own window doing the yardwork.


Yes, my belief is that most people doing yard work would rather not be doing it. I think you are the exception.

I would never waste my valuable time watching someone else work unless it was entertaining.
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?
September 20th, 2021 at 5:50:37 AM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 7
Posts: 1509
Quote: Evenbob
We had a name for people who didn't work on their own stuff. For the guys who paid somebody to mow their lawn or had their oil changed by a mechanic in a garage. I can't say what name that was because I don't want to get suspended again. Let's just say it's not flattering.


Who cares what some fools called others regarding how they spend their time and money. Did it make them better men to call people names?

I did my own lawn and pasture, but I realized that my time could be better spent making money, swimming in the pool, hunting, etc. I do fix a lot of things when I can figure them out, but lawn care is not something I enjoy or like doing at this point. I have mowed thousands of acres in my life with working on a farm and having a large yard; who cares if I stopped wanting to do it myself?
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
September 20th, 2021 at 6:02:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 133
Posts: 15604
Quote: RonC
Who cares what some fools called others regarding how they spend their time and money. Did it make them better men to call people names?

I did my own lawn and pasture, but I realized that my time could be better spent making money, swimming in the pool, hunting, etc. I do fix a lot of things when I can figure them out, but lawn care is not something I enjoy or like doing at this point. I have mowed thousands of acres in my life with working on a farm and having a large yard; who cares if I stopped wanting to do it myself?


I got no problem with people paying to have their yard work done. A guy can make a nice living if he gets 30-50 people who want their lawns done because there is always other work to do. Explained it to one kid I met, he had a decent lawn business but he needed more revenue so I explained start doing gutter cleaning, window cleaning, other things that you can charge $150-300 a crack for once a year. He thought I was a genius.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2021 at 6:19:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 154
Posts: 12946
Any kind of repetitive mindless activity can potentially have a pleasant meditative effect. I don't really enjoy yard work, but I suppose mowing a large lawn back and forth, could do that for some. Plus, you're out in the sunny Sun instead of in a dark room.
In the beginning, God created a video game we call The Universe
September 20th, 2021 at 6:30:34 AM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 7
Posts: 1509
Quote: AZDuffman
I got no problem with people paying to have their yard work done. A guy can make a nice living if he gets 30-50 people who want their lawns done because there is always other work to do. Explained it to one kid I met, he had a decent lawn business but he needed more revenue so I explained start doing gutter cleaning, window cleaning, other things that you can charge $150-300 a crack for once a year. He thought I was a genius.


Our guy does Christmas lights and decorations...he makes some good money at it when lawn money is down.
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
September 20th, 2021 at 8:38:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 133
Posts: 15604
Quote: RonC
Our guy does Christmas lights and decorations...he makes some good money at it when lawn money is down.


I just last weekend worked a poker game for a guy makes enough on Christmas lights and other ventures to quit his job. He is starting installs in October!
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2021 at 9:00:50 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 38
Posts: 3000
I have always wanted to do a basic Christmas lights for my house but I am too lazy. I don't know what it costs but if I could find someone to decorate my house for $300 and come take it down I would pay them every year.
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?