Do it yourself

September 30th, 2022 at 2:36:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 1st, 2022 at 11:25:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
if soldering has come up before, I'd have to think not exactly this ... in any case, I don't follow this thread much, so ...

I have a handheld gps that has broken connections where you put the AA batteries in. You know how they snap in, and those contacts broke. I can tell the gps still works fine otherwise, because when I attach it to the computer by USB cord, it comes on. I found a kit to replace it, but I forget now, too expensive, or not sure it's the right one, or looks to difficult, something ...

does anyone solder? seems to me you could put the batteries in, and then to make connection, solder it

good plan? bad plan?
Finally got around to this after about a year!

And it worked!

I discovered I am bad at soldering. Even so, I got it to work. The big test will be replacing those batteries!!!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 29th, 2022 at 9:39:39 AM permalink
rxwine
I put this in this section because it involves searching for hidden cameras. Might be useful for people on WOV also, if they travel a lot

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 12th, 2022 at 9:35:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
was hunting with a guy during muzzleloader and he got a deer

the deal was, I help him with the whole process and get half the deer. He takes it to his garage and skins it and cuts it up. That works well but one guy, me this time, has to hug the deer and lift it to hang it on these hooks he set up. It was touch and go to get it done at all! His garage ceiling is too low to use the black and tackle things they sell for hunters, but I think there is a couple of things we could have used. At least we could set up a 'progress retainer' ... I lift and he hooks a rope to a car bumper or something to save the progress, then do it again.

And there is actually a way to get a mechanical advantage just using a rope, no pulleys. Tune into the video at 3:43 to see how this is done

set up for 3:43 ........... https://youtu.be/m3pNqSl5oAw?t=223

or

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 12th, 2022 at 10:43:35 AM permalink
rxwine
I had a mostly dead bush that i needed to get rid of. I could have dug it up, but decided it would be more fun to remove by attaching a rope and it to my vehicle.

I set my phone up just to film it getting yanked out of the ground.

Satisfying.

I could use that rope block tackle also. Should learn it.
November 25th, 2022 at 11:19:11 AM permalink
rxwine
I think the last one I bought was closer $25.

November 28th, 2022 at 9:10:37 AM permalink
rxwine
I finely figured out a way to store random things that I rarely use and don't need a category because they are one-off items, but still need some logical means to know exactly where they are.

I mark different large storage bins on their lids, Container 1, Container 2, and so forth. I put random items in, heaviest at the bottom. Then on Ipad note feature I make a note for each container and whatever is put in that container is listed on that container note. That way I know where all these random items are stored, as it's searchable and it is much more organized just looking at closed stacked bins in a room. Notes are searchable so that makes it even easier.
January 1st, 2023 at 12:45:17 PM permalink
rxwine
This one is for candle king, Evenbob. And it's based on Walmart items.

March 14th, 2023 at 6:46:42 PM permalink
rxwine
1. Buy several acres of worthless land. Flat, barren if possible and arid.
2. Mark out 10x10 plots. geo-locate coordinates.
3. Rent out the plots for $100 annually, for people looking for long term storage. They can bury their stuff there. They are responsible for double or triple bagging their stuff in plastic or however they want to further protect it.

Set up scanners and motion detectors and sound monitoring to detect digging. This is why you need flat barren land to be able to monitor it.

Google says "It takes 1,000 years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill."
March 17th, 2023 at 6:40:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
1. Buy several acres of worthless land. Flat, barren if possible and arid.
2. Mark out 10x10 plots. geo-locate coordinates.
3. Rent out the plots for $100 annually, for people looking for long term storage. They can bury their stuff there. They are responsible for double or triple bagging their stuff in plastic or however they want to further protect it.

Set up scanners and motion detectors and sound monitoring to detect digging. This is why you need flat barren land to be able to monitor it.

Google says "It takes 1,000 years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill."
\]

Would never work for a lot of reasons. 100 sq ft is too small. It would be a nightmare of half dug holes with piles of dirt everywhere. If you can bury it there's no amount of surveillance that's going to keep somebody else from digging it up. You're probably in violation of some groundwater rule which would nullify the whole thing anyway. Sounds like a cluster f waiting to happen. Cover the same area with used storage containers and then you've got something. They are big enough to park cars in.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.