Do it yourself

March 17th, 2023 at 6:48:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Facebook Marketplace is a treasure trove if you live in an area that has any kind of population. It's a lot of people looking to get rid of stuff really cheap just because they want to get rid of it. A lot of it is overpriced but a lot of it is way way underpriced. I just bought these solid Hickory kitchen cabinets for $45. These are super super good quality and were made 30 years ago because the lady I bought them from told me that's when she bought them. These three cabinets exactly like this today will cost you $1,000 I looked it up and they aren't nearly as good quality. I just installed them yesterday.
Hickory is the hardest, densest commercially available hardwood native to North America and the most expensive cabinets are made out of it. Meant to last the lifetime of the house even if that's 200 years.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 18th, 2023 at 7:26:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Definitely not my style of cabinets. My grandparents did have similar.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 18th, 2023 at 7:45:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Definitely not my style of cabinets. My grandparents did have similar.

You can get large China cabinets for free on FB marketplace
When I downsized, was very surprised what did sell and what didnt
Cheaply built light chest drawers an easy sell
Heavy large well built chest drawers tough sell
I had to give away my big China Cabinet. No interest from the younger generations to buy
That I could understand
Big dining room table, no interest. I was very surprised. Finally gave it away.
Dining Rooms are somewhat a thing of the past
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 18th, 2023 at 1:39:06 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
You can get large China cabinets for free on FB marketplace
When I downsized, was very surprised what did sell and what didnt
Cheaply built light chest drawers an easy sell
Heavy large well built chest drawers tough sell
I had to give away my big China Cabinet. No interest from the younger generations to buy
That I could understand
Big dining room table, no interest. I was very surprised. Finally gave it away.
Dining Rooms are somewhat a thing of the past

When we moved to Florida about 18 months ago we had a large fancy cherry dining room set. I think we paid about $3500 for it and we couldn't find anyone to buy it even for $250. We called some junk haulers to haul everything away. I always assumed those guys go through the stuff to see what they could sell. Our dining room set was pretty big and they had a hard time getting it in the junk trailer. Right in our driveway they pull out a circular saw and cut it up. I thought my wife was going to have a stroke. I am shocked they didn't want it.
March 18th, 2023 at 1:46:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Had the same experience with grandfather's furniture. Though no sawing in half on the spot.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 18th, 2023 at 2:09:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
When we moved to Florida about 18 months ago we had a large fancy cherry dining room set. I think we paid about $3500 for it and we couldn't find anyone to buy it even for $250. We called some junk haulers to haul everything away. I always assumed those guys go through the stuff to see what they could sell. Our dining room set was pretty big and they had a hard time getting it in the junk trailer. Right in our driveway they pull out a circular saw and cut it up. I thought my wife was going to have a stroke. I am shocked they didn't want it.

Should have put your dining room set on FB Marketplace for free. There are tons of people on FB Marketplace just looking for free.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 18th, 2023 at 2:41:30 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
Should have put your dining room set on FB Marketplace for free. There are tons of people on FB Marketplace just looking for free.

Not worth the hassle to me if I am not getting any money out of it. Too many flakes online saying they will show up at a certain time and pull a no call no show. It is not worth my time to deal with those people unless I can sell something for a couple hundred dollars. We just gave most of our house away to friends for free. The only thing out of the whole house we sold was the pool table and that was too a friend. pretty much the whole 4 bedroom 3300 sqft house was given away.
March 19th, 2023 at 7:43:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Not worth the hassle to me if I am not getting any money out of it. Too many flakes online saying they will show up at a certain time and pull a no call no show. It is not worth my time to deal with those people unless I can sell something for a couple hundred dollars. We just gave most of our house away to friends for free. The only thing out of the whole house we sold was the pool table and that was too a friend. pretty much the whole 4 bedroom 3300 sqft house was given away.

I see big pieces of furniture like dining room hutches and dining room sets and really beautiful expensive pieces of furniture for free on Facebook Marketplace all the time and you look at the ad that says posted 3 weeks ago posted 6 weeks ago because nobody wants it. This stuff takes up a lot of space and people are having less and less space where they live. I saw a really nice Oak Hutch yesterday that was 6 ft long and 5 ft high that's 30 square feet of wall space it takes up. It's just too damn big. Grandma had a lot more space in her house than people do now. Plus they used the furniture every day and people have no use for these big honking behemoths.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2023 at 10:04:23 AM permalink
DRich
Since this is the "Do it Yourself" thread:

I changed the guts in a toilet today. I know it is not a big deal and everybody has probably done it, but for me that was ambitious.
March 19th, 2023 at 12:18:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Since this is the "Do it Yourself" thread:

I changed the guts in a toilet today. I know it is not a big deal and everybody has probably done it, but for me that was ambitious.

Was it your own toilet or the toilet in the gas station where you buy your hot dogs? Did you do it because you felt guilty that you overuse their toilet because of all their hot dogs that you eat?