Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

January 22nd, 2021 at 6:17:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Oxford dictionary defines a "bodice ripper" as a sexually explicit romantic novel or movie with a historical setting.

Quote: Evenbob
The series main attribute so far is the detail they've gone to showing Scotland in 1743.

I am supporting your view of the miniseries. Outlander certainly has "bodice ripper" elements. But no straight man would watch a pure "bodice ripper". Outlander goes well above a pure romance story in that it shows an unflinching view of what life would have been like in 1743 Scotland.

The first national census of Scotland was conducted in 1755, and showed the population of Scotland as 1,265,380. By then four towns had populations of over 10,000, with the capital, Edinburgh, the largest with 57,000 inhabitants. Present day population is 5,463,000 . Scotland has an area of 30,090 sq miles.

So Scotland of 1755 would be closest in density to present day Maine with a land area of 30,843 square miles and a population of 1,344,212. Portland's population is 66,215 . But if you could imagine Maine as having a bunch of violent bloodthirsty warlords wandering the mountains.Claire Randall first encounter is an attempted rape by an ancestor of her husband two centuries before her present day.
January 22nd, 2021 at 8:08:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I am supporting your view of the miniseries. Outlander certainly has "bodice ripper" elements. But no straight man would watch a pure "bodice ripper". Outlander goes well above a pure romance story [

I don't mind the romance part because
I like the heroine. I especially like her
naked. I had a GF decades ago who
looked just like that and it was the
best sex I ever had. Except she was
a blonde and this girl isn't. You can't
have everything.

I'm suspending my disbelief and
ignoring the fact they never would
have put up with her feminist
attitude 300 years ago. Women
could say what they wanted in private
to their husbands, in public they
said very little. They had no say in
anything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2021 at 8:18:54 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
.... But if you could imagine Maine as having a bunch of violent bloodthirsty warlords wandering the mountains.Claire Randall first encounter is an attempted rape by an ancestor of her husband two centuries before her present day.

You really know how to sell a show, Paco! I'll give the first episode a chance. I absolutely loved Queen's Gambit, so this just might be worth a watch.
January 23rd, 2021 at 8:03:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Night stalker
Hunt for a serial killer
Documentary series on Netflix
Just finished episode 1
This is great, very well done
Crimes pile up as a young Hispanic detective thinks murders, attempted murders and child abductions/molestations are connected to 1 person. Veteran detectives laugh at him. Later he partners with the legendary veteran detective Frank Salerno. They catch another murder and evidence is pointing to 1 person. Now that Frank is behind the theory, nobody is laughing and the investigation hits high gear. Great episode 1.
Going in for episode 2
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 24th, 2021 at 12:56:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I like how they intersperse Scottish
music in Outlander and music of the
1940's, paying homage to both era's.

I have to read the books, each
season is taken from a book
in the series.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2021 at 9:06:25 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: DRich
I started watching a serial on Netflix called Blacklist. So far, it seems like something I will like.

Have been binging based on your recommendation. I’m almost done the first season.

It’s pretty good for a broadcast network crime thriller. Way better than NCIS or Criminal Minds, but not as good as 24.
January 24th, 2021 at 9:08:05 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: gamerfreak
Have been binging based on your recommendation. I’m almost done the first season.

It’s pretty good for a network crime thriller. Way better than NCIS or Criminal Minds, but not as good as 24.

I have never seen 24. I guess I will have to look into it. Is 24 streaming anywhere?

In my opinion Blacklist gets better in Seasons 2 to 4. I just finished season 7 and thought it was the weakest.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 24th, 2021 at 9:09:10 AM permalink
gamerfreak
I have never seen 24. I guess I will have to look into it. Is 24 streaming anywhere?

It’s on Amazon Prime
January 24th, 2021 at 10:55:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I have never seen 24. I guess I will have to look into it. Is 24 streaming anywhere?.

JustWatch.com will tell you where a show is streaming.

24 (Original series: November 6, 2001 – May 24, 2010 | Revival: May 5, 2014 – July 14, 2014) is streaming on
Hulu all 9 Seasons
IMDb TV first season

The Hulu Streaming Library costs $5.99 per month with commercials and $11.99 per month to watch ad-free.
IMDb TV is free but with commercials.

Generally these shows are expensive to purchase (~$18 per season) as you are unlikely to want to watch them over and over. I would watch a few episodes with commercials and see if you like it.

As there are 204 episode with running time 43–51 minutes per episode it is a considerable amount of time to try and watch in one month. But some people get Hulu for one month and binge an entire show (7 episodes per day) and then cancel after the first month. But the best thing is to pay $12 for Hulu to watch it ad-free and then take a few months.
January 24th, 2021 at 10:57:58 AM permalink
gamerfreak
JustWatch.com will tell you where a show is streaming.

24 (Original series: November 6, 2001 – May 24, 2010 | Revival: May 5, 2014 – July 14, 2014) is streaming on
Hulu all 9 Seasons
IMDb TV first season

The Hulu Streaming Library costs $5.99 per month with commercials and $11.99 per month to watch ad-free.
IMDb TV is free but with commercials.

Generally these shows are expensive to purchase (~$18 per season) as you are unlikely to want to watch them over and over. I would watch a few episodes with commercials and see if you like it.

As there are 204 episode with running time 43–51 minutes per episode it is a considerable amount of time to try and watch in one month. But some people get Hulu for one month and binge an entire show (7 episodes per day) and then cancel after the first month. But the best thing is to pay $12 for Hulu to watch it ad-free and then take a few months.

There’s also a useful app called Reel Good where you can add TV/Movies to your watch list, and if they ever become available on streaming it will notify you.