Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 9th, 2016 at 1:10:14 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Really enjoy this show, possibly because of it's formula for the crimes. Almost always some immigrants to the island from the UK, almost always some seedy past found after asking for details from London, always a Chekov's gun early on (just working out which thing it is) and the 'drawing room' reveal at the end.

It's not big or clever. But it is light entertainment. The replacement for Poole was odd at first, but DI Goodman kinda worked out. The first episode of the third series was (I thought) a very clever idea for the handover.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 14th, 2016 at 2:29:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Four Falls of Buffalo.

Maybe it's just because it's where I'm from. Coming up, I HATED the Bills. Pah, "hate" is such a weak word. I wanted them, their families, every one who liked them, and all of their families to die in a grease fire. F#$%ing HATED them. It all stemmed from "wanting to be like dad", so, when I realized what football was around the age of four, I asked him his favorite team. He answered and they became my favorite team. That team was the Dolphins.

Imagine being a Dolphins fan, in Buffalo, in the late 80's and early 90's. Imagine just being into the game and wanting your guys to win, when at age 8 - 10 - 12 you have grown adults, oftentimes family, jeering in your face and teasing about your total domination. I remember my first game at Rich Stadium around age 9 or so when a guy in blue and red Zubaz and an apron invited my 9yr old self to "suck it" as he lifted the apron to reveal the dildo he had hanging from his trousers. God, I f#$%ing hated the Bills and everyone who liked them. I haven't cared for the Dolphins in over a decade and haven't even watched football in 5 years, and I still occasionally fantasize about Rich Stadium imploding during a game and killing all 90k attendants. F#$% the Bills. F#$% em all =p

The Four Falls is about the Bills accomplishments in failure and their 4 consecutive losses in the early 90's. Gotta admit, it was poignant as hell. It was sort of interesting to see things from the inside; not what the myriad reporters have gone over, but just the players themselves, speaking frankly. Admittedly, there were some shining moments, some respect generated for some who went through that. I wouldn't say it's Emmy worthy, certainly not. But it'd be hard to believe anyone here wouldn't be entertained for 90 should you give it a watch.

My favorite part was the parade after the first loss, when the crowd chanted for Scott Norwood to take the stage (reckon I don;t have to /spoiler this =p) Part of me thought it was nice, the way they, the team, the locals, rallied around him and lifted him up even though he "blew it". But a far larger part of me just couldn't bathe enough in my own contempt. Something about the entire city in a giant circle jerk of complete and utter failure... it was, as MrV would say, "Apt".

F#$% Buffalo.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 14th, 2016 at 2:51:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
[..] I asked him his favorite team. He answered and they became my favorite team. That team was the Dolphins.

I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences.

The loss would be 1) Don Shula and 2) Dan Marino. The team has never been since they left, except for one brief, brilliant flash in the short-lived Wildcat Era.

Quote:
Imagine being a Dolphins fan, in Buffalo, in the late 80's and early 90's.

It could have been worse. Far, far worse. You might have been a Buffalo Bills fan in Buffalo during that time. Can you take four straight Super Bowl losses? Can you imagine a life where the phrase "wide right" makes you cry? Or, even worse, try to imagine years and years where you insist a very clear lateral backwards pass really was a forward pass.

Quote:
[..]not what the myriad reporters have gone over, but just the players themselves, speaking frankly.

I know someone who likes the Bills. He maintains the last three losses were a direct result of the refusal by the coaches and players to lynch their kicker after the first loss. Whenever I hear him say that, I say "wide right" and make him cry ;)

Quote:
F#$% Buffalo.

Take several thousands deep breaths and repeat "It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game."

After all, we're not talking about the Dallas Cowboys :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 14th, 2016 at 2:52:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

F#$% Buffalo.

No, F#$% the Lions. I gave up
on the lions in 1971 and haven't
seen one of their games since.
But every year I still have to put
up with the constant bitching
from Lions fans about how they
suck. What do they expect, it's
the Lions ferchrisakes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 14th, 2016 at 3:24:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
No, F#$% the Lions. I gave up
on the lions in 1971 and haven't
seen one of their games since.
But every year I still have to put
up with the constant bitching
from Lions fans about how they
suck. What do they expect, it's
the Lions ferchrisakes.

Have to wonder about people who keep pouring their hearts into a loser team for years or decades. I do remember though how much I once supported my team and bar arguments were great. Now I drive by the stadium and meh at the whole thing.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2016 at 10:44:46 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

F#$% Buffalo.

I really don't understand the emotional attachment to sports teams. I understand having a team you would like to see win but once a game is over why lament it?

BTW, I probably watch more sports than any poster on this board. It is 10:45am here and I have already watched over five hours of sports on television this morning.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 15th, 2016 at 11:01:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich

BTW, I probably watch more sports than any poster on this board. .

I haven't seen a game since 1971. I
have so many things to do, like having
a life.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2016 at 11:29:27 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I have zero expectation that the Lions will ever win a championship, but I still let them frustrate me every Sunday... win or lose. Then Monday comes around and I get on with my life. Sports is fun for a few hours of escape.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 15th, 2016 at 2:08:13 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
I haven't seen a game since 1971. I
have so many things to do, like having a life.

a life full of posting to Internet forums? So fulfilling, I'm sure!
October 15th, 2016 at 2:12:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy
a life full of posting to Internet forums? So fulfilling, I'm sure!

Yeah, posting here takes up maybe 12 min
of the day, or less. I rarely even look at
the Vegas forum now, way to boring.