Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 15th, 2016 at 3:10:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I really don't understand the emotional attachment to sports teams. I understand having a team you would like to see win but once a game is over why lament it?

I think it is anthropological. The masses need something to pour their hearts into. You can do that with sports and there are no restrictions. You become "part of the team" by just wanting it. Not "they won" but rather "we won!" And if you stick it out thru the bad years and they start getting better? Well, you showed your loyalty.

Quote:
BTW, I probably watch more sports than any poster on this board. It is 10:45am here and I have already watched over five hours of sports on television this morning.

I haven't watched a minute since the Stanley Cup Finals. Half the reason I even watched then was diversion from my dad dying the same week. Prognosis for watching the NFL tomorrow not good, weather too nice.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2016 at 5:19:22 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, posting here takes up maybe 12 min
of the day, or less. I rarely even look at
the Vegas forum now, way to boring.

and yet you answered my post within 4 minutes. Guess I caught you at the right 12 minutes for today? lol

Both forums just wouldn't be the same with YOU Bob. You constantly provide the curmudgeon's outlook on such a variety of topics, sometimes polarizing, always reliably direct. Keep up the great work.
October 16th, 2016 at 7:04:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm almost done bingeing the first season of Rick and Morty. Though it gets too vulgar and gross at times, it's the only comedic cartoon show I can think of to tackle philosophical issues. It also seems to be trying to keep continuity. Very interesting. Funny, too.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 17th, 2016 at 6:50:46 AM permalink
Nareed
SPOILERS FOLLOW.

In one episode of "Rick and Morty," Rick horribly mutates all humans on Earth (poking fun at SF tropes, too "I'm amazed how fast it's spread.") Morty demands he fix it. Rick says everything will be fine.

What he does is find a timeline that is nearly identical to their own, minus the horrible mutations, but in which he and Morty just died (out of an infinite set of timelines, the idea is you can find anything you want). So they get there and bury their counterparts, and then take their place. The timeline with the horribly mutated people remains.

Dark humor aside, I thought they'd found the Ultimate Reset Button.

Imagine my surprise when a few eps alter, Morty lets his sister, Summer, know versions of him and Rick are buried in the back yard.

Great show.

And I think that was before Summer took a job at an antique shop run by The Devil :)
October 18th, 2016 at 7:41:08 AM permalink
Nareed
What is it about bingeing?

So yesterday I tried to watch "just a couple of episodes" of Rick and Morty around 9:30 PM. After five eps, I finally stopped. It was still relatively early and not the worst time to go to bed.

But then I thought I'd set the TV for the morning, and I see the new ep of TBBT is on in just 15 minutes. So I decided to see it and went to bed too late.

Now, it's clearly my fault fro wanting to watch an ep around midnight (well, past, really), but when I awoke, late, the next day, I thought "damn you, Netflix!"

Luckily I'm self-correcting :)

And yes, I'll finish off season two today.
October 18th, 2016 at 12:03:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

I've learned to pace myself. I now
watch 3-4 series at once, but only
one ep a day of each. More
enjoyable that way. Right now I'm
watching Downton Abby again at
night on Prime. Even better the
2nd time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2016 at 4:04:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I'm not sure. I binged on Buffy last March and April as I discovered I never saw the last two seasons when the show changed networks. I was very happy about that because I enjoyed the show a lot.

I binged on "Stranger Things" which kind of annoyed me because it really wasn't very good. But sometimes it gets you curious. Maybe it's the same motivation that keeps you clicking through channels. You always hope you'll find something good on to watch even though you've been around all the channels four times. Sometimes you binge, just because you think it will get better.

7/19/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Eight: The Upside Down" Report a problem ×
7/17/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Seven: The Bathtub" Report a problem ×
7/17/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Six: The Monster" Report a problem ×
7/17/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat" Report a problem ×
7/16/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Four: The Body" Report a problem ×
7/16/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Three: Holly, Jolly" Report a problem ×
7/16/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street" Report a problem ×
7/16/16 Stranger Things: Season 1: "Chapter One: The Vanishing Of Will Byers" Report a problem ×

4/9/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4: "Restless" Report a problem ×
4/9/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4: "Primeval" Report a problem ×
4/8/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "The Zeppo" Report a problem ×
4/8/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Amends" Report a problem ×
4/8/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "The Wish" Report a problem ×
4/8/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Lovers Walk" Report a problem ×
4/8/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Revelations" Report a problem ×
4/8/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Band Candy" Report a problem ×
4/7/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Beauty and the Beasts" Report a problem ×
4/7/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Faith, Hope and Trick" Report a problem ×
4/4/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Dead Man's Party" Report a problem ×
4/4/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3: "Anne" Report a problem ×
4/4/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2: "Becoming: Part 2" Report a problem ×
4/4/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2: "Becoming: Part 1" Report a problem ×
4/3/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Chosen" Report a problem ×
4/3/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "End of Days" Report a problem ×
4/3/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Touched" Report a problem ×
4/2/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Empty Places" Report a problem ×
4/2/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Dirty Girls" Report a problem ×
4/2/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Lies My Parents Told Me" Report a problem ×
4/2/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Storyteller" Report a problem ×
3/31/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Get It Done" Report a problem ×
3/31/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "First Date" Report a problem ×
3/30/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "The Killer in Me" Report a problem ×
3/30/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Potential" Report a problem ×
3/30/16 Courage the Cowardly Dog: Season 1: "Night at the Katz Mote / Cajun Granny Stew" Report a problem ×
3/30/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Showtime" Report a problem ×
3/30/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Bring on the Night" Report a problem ×
3/30/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Never Leave Me" Report a problem ×
3/27/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Sleeper" Report a problem ×
3/27/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Conversations with Dead People" Report a problem ×
3/27/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Him" Report a problem ×
3/27/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Selfless" Report a problem ×
3/27/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Help" Report a problem ×
3/27/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Same Time, Same Place" Report a problem ×
3/26/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Beneath You" Report a problem ×
3/26/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7: "Lessons" Report a problem ×
3/26/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1: "I Robot, You Jane" Report a problem ×
3/25/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1: "Angel" Report a problem ×
3/25/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2: "When She Was Bad" Report a problem ×
3/25/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1: "Prophecy Girl" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Tabula Rasa" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Once More, with Feeling" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "All the Way" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Life Serial" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Flooded" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "After Life" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Bargaining: Part 2" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Bargaining: Part 1" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Grave" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Two to Go" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Villains" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Seeing Red" Report a problem ×
3/24/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Entropy" Report a problem ×
3/23/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Normal Again" Report a problem ×
3/23/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Hell's Bells" Report a problem ×
3/23/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "As You Were" Report a problem ×
3/23/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Older and Far Away" Report a problem ×
3/22/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Dead Things" Report a problem ×
3/22/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Doublemeat Palace" Report a problem ×
3/22/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Gone" Report a problem ×
3/22/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Wrecked" Report a problem ×
3/22/16 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6: "Smashed" Report a problem ×
October 18th, 2016 at 4:25:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm not sure. I binged on Buffy last March and April

I think I saw one episode of that show.

I discovered bingeing when I moved to my apartment and found myself without cable or satellite TV (this was in the middle ages, or c.2007; so though I had internet, streaming wasn't a thing then). There was a Blockbuster nearby, and I rented full seasons of Mission: Impossible (60s version, season 1,2 and 3), and a few others (I forget which).

What I noticed is that having seen an ep I always want to see another one right away. In broadcast TV this is not possible. but if you have the DVDs right there, you can indulge. Ditto with Netflix. The hard part is stopping.
October 18th, 2016 at 8:48:15 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
How about Black Mirror? New season coming up in a few days.
October 19th, 2016 at 1:06:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
What I noticed is that having seen an ep I always want to see another one right away. In broadcast TV this is not possible. but if you have the DVDs right there, you can indulge. Ditto with Netflix. The hard part is stopping.

The term "binge watching" does go back to DVDs (pre-streaming). I read that the TV series 24 was particularly popular since the series mimicked the real passage of time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_(TV_series)

Here is a negative article.

Quote: Feelings of loneliness and depression linked to binge-watching television

Low self-regulation leads to more binge-watching
INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION

Washington, DC (January 26, 2015) - It seems harmless: getting settled in for a night of marathon session for a favorite TV show, like House of Cards. But why do we binge-watch TV, and can it really be harmless? A recent study by researchers at the University of Texas at Austin found that the more lonely and depressed you are, the more likely you are to binge-watch.

Yoon Hi Sung, Eun Yeon Kang and Wei-Na Lee from the University of Texas at Austin will present their findings at the 65th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The researchers conducted a survey on 316 18- to 29-year-olds on how often they watched TV; how often they had feelings of loneliness, depression and self-regulation deficiency; and finally on how often they binge-watched TV. They found that the more lonely and depressed the study participants were, the more likely they were to binge-watch TV, using this activity to move away from negative feelings.

The findings also showed that those who lacked the ability to control themselves were more likely to binge-watch. These viewers were unable to stop clicking "Next" even when they were aware that they had other tasks to complete.

Little empirical research has been done on binge-watching since it is such a new behavior. Psychological factors such as loneliness, depression, and self-regulation deficiency have been known as important indicators of binge behavior in general. For example, people engage in addictive behaviors to temporarily forget the reality that involves loneliness and depression. Also, an individual's lack of self-regulation is likely to influence the level of his or her addictive behavior. Therefore, this study tried to understand binge-watching behavior from this set of known factors.

"Even though some people argue that binge-watching is a harmless addiction, findings from our study suggest that binge-watching should no longer be viewed this way," Sung said. "Physical fatigue and problems such as obesity and other health problems are related to binge-watching and they are a cause for concern. When binge-watching becomes rampant, viewers may start to neglect their work and their relationships with others. Even though people know they should not, they have difficulty resisting the desire to watch episodes continuously. Our research is a step toward exploring binge-watching as an important media and social phenomenon."

"A Bad Habit for Your Health? An Exploration of Psychological Factors for Binge-Watching Behavior," by Yoon Hi Sung, Eun Yeon Kang and Wei-Na Lee; to be presented at the 65th Annual International Communication Association Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 21-25 May 2015.

Contact: To schedule an interview with the authors or a copy of the research, please contact John Paul Gutierrez, jpgutierrez@icahdq.org.