The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

November 2nd, 2015 at 11:38:25 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Thanks in part to RonC, I am a card carrying official for USAHockey now. Just had my first game yesterday.

It was very weird. I've been playing hockey regularly for 22 years now, 17 of which have been on the ice with the same team since '98. My first day in the stripes was in this same rink... and it was tough! Despite the fact that I'm savvy with the rule book and know even the obscure rules, it was much harder than I thought to control the game as opposed to just getting into watching it. In fact, it was even a struggle to not get involved. Every time a puck was sent up the boards, I had to physically tense up to resist the urge to kick it back lol. It was akin to allowing someone to throw something at your face. Every fibre of your being tells you to duck or block it, but you have to resist. It was almost identical. Very weird stuff.

It was hard to overcome the fandom, too. Despite that my main goal in this was money, I do plan to do the job to the utmost. That means being an ambassador to the sport, as well as being a model and teacher for the younger players. Put simply, I am a fan, and being in the midst of it, it was really hard to observe the game without focusing directly on the play. Depending where I am at the time, my responsibilities could be as far back as the slot or even the neutral zone despite the puck being in deep, and the majority of the time I just couldn't fight it. I couldn't help but to watch.

That all being said, it did go pretty well. My officiating partner just happened to be the father of Ash's childhood best friend, as well as my former defensive partner. If that don't beat all, he is also the scheduler for this area. There's my "in", and I am now stuffed with double headers every weekend.

I was certainly rough out there, having no other real training than my own personal hockey career. But I only missed one close offsides call which had no effect on the game. I got to call goals, offsides, dinged a tyke for a brutal and wonderfully made check, reported infractions and scoring to the clock minder, and left with a huge smile on my face.

I did get my first taste of hockey parents. Some guy was pounding on the glass, and I mean pounding. I've had over 60 if not over 70 seasons of sports under my belt, so shit talking and the like has no effect on me whatsoever. I just ignored it. But once it went on so long and increased to the point I thought he was going to shatter the glass, I looked to him to see him screaming something about the goalie being hurt. I suppose that was a mistake on my part, but it was impossible to tell he was hurt unless you stared at him for a length of time. He didn't stay down, say anything, remove his helmet, or any other outwardly apparent action to get our attention. And an 8yr old in full goalie gear is little more than a mountain of pads, giving no hint as to whether he was favoring a limb or anything. But kid just strained his groin in the butterfly, and after a small talk, said he was good to continue. I also got scolded by the opposing tyke goalie, who sternly told me "You have to blow the whistle when my net is off". "It was?" I asked. "Yeah, it was off the whole time! You have to blow the whistle when that happens!" Lol, it was more cute than anything, but I just apologized and thanked him, ensuring him I would do so in the future.

Especially with the kids, I had a complete ball. But for my very next outing, I'm getting slammed right into the college kid's games. Not only is it above my ref level, but it's two leagues above where I play, and at least a full class above even my tournament team. They're the kids that I can hang with, IF we do just one lap of the rink lol. One 45 second shift and I'd be blown out for the rest of the game, if I was opposing them. Now I gotta hang with them for 60 minutes without a line change. They're also the kids for which 5-0 was called after a jaw was broken in a post game locker room scrum, as well as the cause of an entire revamp of league rules to handle their wayward insubordination and violence. That'll be my second ever game,... should be fun??

But man... scoring $35 for just 50 or 60 minutes of doing something I love? And getting double headers with the possibility of seven game tourney days? If I can just expand far enough, I'll drop the hustle and just do this as a career ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 29th, 2016 at 1:31:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
So how about this for Vegas at twenty bucks for 24 hours?
OR any other URBAN area at equal or higher rates.

I don't think the idea has any merit for rural out of the way locations.

The Business: POD Dwelling.
Details: A cross between low cost hostels and High Tech oriented geographically mobile yuppie populations.

A large, open interior space with keypad access and online registration... gets you fast internet connections, latest zillion core 'puters, fellow techie "culture", peripheral Murphy beds, open meeting areas, no barriers (no doors on closets, no doors on sleeping nooks, community kitchen, 2D printers, tool collection, stripped-down Makers Space.

North Las Vegas would be perfect as far as commercial rents, crime and internet speed goes.

Figure 50 nooks, lots of open space desks and couches, .... fully rented would be over a grand a day for a small warehouse space.

What say y'all?
March 29th, 2016 at 9:05:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
What say y'all?

I mean it guys... any input on the finances or on the concept in general? I mean it works great in Australia's booming economy and weird laws relating to rents and deposits, but would it work in North Las Vegas? Would it work in other cities with different rents and different techie populations?

I introduced our fine fellow, Face, to the term GAP year... but there are alot of young people out there who are taking a GAP DECADE. They have to be turned into a "market". An urban market of discontented but well educated youthful techies whose "friend tribes" are letting them down a bit but at least keeping them out of the dreaded world of cubicles and white collars.
March 29th, 2016 at 10:09:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I mean it guys...
I got nuttin. I don't even know a techie.

I wondered with these Murphy beds, no doors, etc. I would feel uncomfortable, I guess I have trust issues? I can sleep on planes or airports, like you said it wouldn't be rural, or for rural people.

I would prefer reversing it, and everyone face out, like the Pentagon?

Who does the cleaning? Did these young techies parents teach them to wipe up behind themselves? Look at IN-&OUT burger for a model.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 30th, 2016 at 11:02:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
? Look at IN-&OUT burger for a model.
I don't get it. All I know about inandout burger is the woman who owns it young, rich and beautiful and that most customers file down the bumpersticker to In and Out URGE.

Its the uber generation, share rides, share bodies, share beds, share apartments, share squats, share.
March 30th, 2016 at 12:15:15 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't get it. All I know about inandout burger is the woman who owns it young, rich and beautiful and that most customers file down the bumpersticker to In and Out URGE.

Its the uber generation, share rides, share bodies, share beds, share apartments, share squats, share.

I was out in LA several months ago
I am a big fan of the Big Lebowski
While in LA, I made sure to check out the In and Out burger
As they said in the movie, its a real good burger.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 30th, 2016 at 2:56:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Well, anyway guys... the concept of a GAP DECADE sure is tempting. Some people actually live that way. They look at Convenience Stores, Walmart, Fast Food and Cubicles and want OUT.
April 1st, 2016 at 8:50:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
> wondered with these Murphy beds, no doors, etc. I would feel uncomfortable,
There is a difference between a sleep area and a nap area. Just as there is a difference between the kitchen and the coffee pot area.

>I would prefer reversing it, and everyone face out, like the Pentagon?
That is the whole point of Uber generation, the friend tribe types, the Share generation.... its all open, you blog your entire life, you blog your meals, your sex life, your fears, your triumphs, your failures. Privacy? Heck most girls are brought up to be polite and ask a man if he objects to their "freeing the nipple". Its considered common courtesy now for a girl not to simply go topless on her own. Offering to let a man free your breasts rather than doing it yourself is becoming common. Owning a bicycle is rare, living in a place that has a group of bicycles available to the residents is much more common. Laptops are owned, three D printers are shared.

> Who does the cleaning? Did these young techies parents teach them to wipe up behind themselves?
Sheeeet,I keep telling you guys its a whole different world than we were young. Your comments are rated for relevance and humor, everything is push up or pushed down by the opinions of others, if your table manners are deficient, everyone knows it. You don't clean up after yourself, you get down rated and after a few down rates, yourPIN no longer works in any similar establishment in any city, nationwide and your photo and rating comments are available to anyone on the web. You can't escape Group Think. Say "Miss" instead of "Sister" and you can be in real trouble.
April 10th, 2016 at 2:46:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
UP-thread somewhere is a bit of discussion of the money to be made with welding skills: you alll that TIG, MIG, etc.
It seems that with minaturization comes now Induction Coil "welding". Good money less of an investment smaller parts.
May 4th, 2016 at 11:03:08 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
So how about this for Vegas at twenty bucks for 24 hours?
OR any other URBAN area at equal or higher rates.

I don't think the idea has any merit for rural out of the way locations.

The Business: POD Dwelling.
Details: A cross between low cost hostels and High Tech oriented geographically mobile yuppie populations.

A large, open interior space with keypad access and online registration... gets you fast internet connections, latest zillion core 'puters, fellow techie "culture", peripheral Murphy beds, open meeting areas, no barriers (no doors on closets, no doors on sleeping nooks, community kitchen, 2D printers, tool collection, stripped-down Makers Space.

North Las Vegas would be perfect as far as commercial rents, crime and internet speed goes.

Figure 50 nooks, lots of open space desks and couches, .... fully rented would be over a grand a day for a small warehouse space.

What say y'all?

How would you keep the bums and prostitutes out? How do they do it in Australia? Flop houses have been around for centuries. It starts out well enough, but pretty soon the druggies will turn it into an opium den.