Terrible, horrible attack in Paris

June 4th, 2017 at 3:23:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
A non-partisan group of people can compile the top 100 risks, they can include any known benefits and long term risks.
Where you going to get non biased people; where you going to get people who understand risk.

On just breast cancer risk, one doctor took ONE study and expressed it in five different ways and people were happy to allocate different amounts of funds to what they only thought were different programs.

Why should people in Manhattan pay for lightning strike education when Wyoming, Colorado and Florida have lightning strikes?

Just look at that recent dam in Central California. The power and water go to Southern California but the risks of a dam bursting are solely local risks.

Risk of a terrorist incident involves our taxes and quality of life, not just death or grievous injury.

News??? If it bleeds, it leads. Always!! A young white female getting killed beats out some unicyclist climbing mount Charleston.
June 4th, 2017 at 3:39:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Where you going to get non biased people; where you going to get people who understand risk.

You are correct you can only get a 50/50 mix at best on a bias issue. And if you have a stalemate on an issue, you divide up the decisions that were tied and give half to each by random drawing. I think you can get skilled people, if you accept that people can be skilled in anything which I do. You have to choose a wide variety of skills.

Quote:
On just breast cancer risk, one doctor took ONE study and expressed it in five different ways and people were happy to allocate different amounts of funds to what they only thought were different programs.

The purpose of studies is to do a whole hell of lot of them that get the same results, not depend on one or a few.

Quote:
Why should people in Manhattan pay for lightning strike education when Wyoming, Colorado and Florida have lightning strikes?

Why should people be educated in algebra if you never use it afterwards? I don't know. Still seems like a good idea. Gives you more perspective on the world of ideas and what other people do that seems important.

Quote:
Risk of a terrorist incident involves our taxes and quality of life, not just death or grievous injury.

I believe I already covered that in a previous post.

Quote:
News??? If it bleeds, it leads. Always!! A young white female getting killed beats out some unicyclist climbing mount Charleston.

News that makes people yawn I'm afraid, is like taking medicine that tastes terrible but is necessary. I don't know how to force feed it though. People would likely be better off if they had watched those dry boring channels of useful information instead of just feeding on TV like it's crack.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2017 at 4:02:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why should people be educated in algebra if you never use it afterwards?

Because the school doesn't know if
you'll ever use it or not, that's why. We
do know Manhattan needs lightening
instruction not at all. Ever.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2017 at 4:09:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
But I don't like superstitious thinking, or people who think science is a sham, and people who won't pitch in for the good of humanity except if they feel like it. And misuse of facts. And made-up facts. And people who intentionally distort information to confuse the issue.

Sounds like you are describing the lamestream media.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2017 at 4:41:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Because the school doesn't know if
you'll ever use it or not, that's why. We
do know Manhattan needs lightening
instruction not at all. Ever.

Because people never leave Manhattan in their whole lives. Interesting.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2017 at 5:12:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Watched some of the One Love concert myself. I never thought I would say this but I was impressed by Justin Beiber. Apparently he has rediscovered his faith, that is good to hear.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 4th, 2017 at 5:18:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: FrGamble
Watched some of the One Love concert myself. I never thought I would say this but I was impressed by Justin Beiber. Apparently he has rediscovered his faith, that is good to hear.

I was also impressed by Justin Beiber
I cant believe I just said that
Going out solo with just his acoustic guitar
Very moving performance
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2017 at 5:23:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: terapined
I was also impressed by Justin Beiber
I cant believe I just said that
Going out solo with just his acoustic guitar
Very moving performance

It is a strange world isn't it?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 4th, 2017 at 5:50:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Because people never leave Manhattan in their whole lives.

If you want to live elsewhere, find out about
lightening. By your cockeyed reasoning, people
in NYC should be taught how to scuba dive,
just in case.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2017 at 5:52:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
It is a strange world isn't it?

That somebody is born randomly with
with a good voice, why is that strange.
It's perfectly normal.