Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 12th, 2016 at 12:10:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Nope, I'm in the position of a man in love.

Narcissism is a hard habit to kick.
If you're 'in love' with Jesus, you're
really just in love with yourself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2016 at 12:11:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Actually don't those know laws of nature tend toward disorder and entropy rather than the other way around.

Take one part of one law regarding closed systems, apply it to a system you don't even know whether it's closed or not, then generalize it to all the universe and claim it tends towards disorder.

And then?

Quote:
You know what would disappoint me more than anything? If some scientific theory did find "God".

Rest assured, no scientific theory can find something that doesn't exist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2016 at 12:45:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed

And yet FrG tries soooo hard to show
that science does indeed prove god
exists. He says one thing and his actions
show something else entirely.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2016 at 1:02:10 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Take one part of one law regarding closed systems, apply it to a system you don't even know whether it's closed or not, then generalize it to all the universe and claim it tends towards disorder.

Or ignore all these laws and pretend disorganized eternal energy without explanation as to why it exists becomes extremely organized and creates eventually us.

Quote:

It is true that no scientific theory can find something that is not observable, but that does not mean things it cannot discover don't exist.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 12th, 2016 at 1:03:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
And yet FrG tries soooo hard to show
that science does indeed prove god
exists. He says one thing and his actions
show something else entirely.

Let me be clear that science does and cannot prove God exists. I feel I have been consistently clear on this point. However, since Science does discover truth it provides evidence that God exists.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 12th, 2016 at 1:14:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Let me be clear that science does and cannot prove God exists. I feel I have been consistently clear on this point. However, since Science does discover truth it provides evidence that God exists.

Evidence leads to proof eventually. You
would love it if it was proved that god
exists. But there is not even evidence
of a gods existence, so fat chance, as
they say.
January 12th, 2016 at 1:23:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
How critical thinkers lose their faith in God.
(Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-critical-thinkers-lose-faith-god/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2016 at 1:36:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Or ignore all these laws

What you choose to ignore is your affair, but don't accuse me of doing the same.

Quote:
and pretend disorganized eternal energy without explanation as to why it exists becomes extremely organized and creates eventually us.

We know how and we see it happening all the time. There are attractive and repelling forces in existence. We've been through this before.

Quote:
It is true that no scientific theory can find something that is not observable, but that does not mean things it cannot discover don't exist.

True. But when you define something as intangible, immeasurable, undetectable, unobservable, and so on, you place it not outside the purview of science, but the purview of all humanity and existence.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2016 at 1:39:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Evidence leads to proof eventually. You
would love it if it was proved that god
exists. But there is not even evidence
of a gods existence, so fat chance, as
they say.

Science cannot prove God's existence any more than it can disprove it. However it makes sense if both theology and science are pursuing truth then we would see lots of correspondence and coherence between them as well as philosophy and all the other searches for truth. As I have said before I like to think of science as a check and balance to religion. If science can show us for example the bones of Jesus or that their was not an albino tribe in America that Jesus appeared to and then was exterminated, or that the Catholic Church's teaching on sexuality for example was wrong and bad for society then it would be helpful in purifying or disproving in was appropriate to its competence the truth of a religion.
January 12th, 2016 at 1:40:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
How critical thinkers lose their faith in God.
(Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-critical-thinkers-lose-faith-god/

"..We possess two different ways of thinking that are distinct yet related. Understanding these two ways, which are often referred to as System 1 and System 2, may be important for understanding our tendency towards having religious faith. System 1 thinking relies on shortcuts and other rules-of-thumb while System 2 relies on analytic thinking and tends to be slower and require more effort."

EXACTLY! I've been saying this for decades.
Religion is for lazy people, all the hard work
and heavy lifting has been done for you. It's
a short cut. As soon as you become analytic
and start performing the due diligence involved,
religion falls apart into a million pieces.

FrG will say he's analytical, when he's actually
not in the slightest. He has an overwhelming
religious agenda that forces him to filter
everything thru his religious programming. He
is incapable of being neutral.