Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 12th, 2016 at 1:46:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

True. But when you define something as intangible, immeasurable, undetectable, unobservable, and so on, you place it not outside the purview of science, but the purview of all humanity and existence.

I do NOT define God in such ways. God is tangible and detectable and observable in His effects and so on. It is obviously the purview of all humanity and existence since we as human beings are religious by nature and have always believed in things other than what we can observe solely by science.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 12th, 2016 at 1:51:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
How critical thinkers lose their faith in God.
(Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-critical-thinkers-lose-faith-god/

"these findings do not say anything about the inherent value or truth of religious beliefs—they simply speak to the psychology of when and why we are prone to believe. Most importantly, they provide evidence that rather than being static, our beliefs can change drastically from situation to situation, without us knowing exactly why."

This is interesting and I imagine you could do the same experiment on the romantic sensibilities of human beings when they are thinking analytically or how thinking intuitively shakes our confidence in the speculative results of certain scientific theories.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 12th, 2016 at 2:05:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
How critical thinkers lose their faith in God.
(Religious belief drops when analytical thinking rises)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-critical-thinkers-lose-faith-god/

Thank you for spreading the Good News :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2016 at 2:05:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
"these findings do not say anything about the inherent value or truth of religious beliefs—they simply speak to the psychology of when and why we are prone to believe. Most importantly, they provide evidence that rather than being static, our beliefs can change drastically from situation to situation, without us knowing exactly why."

Well, there is no point in pointing out science trying to discover a god, but science has delved into religion and religious belief.

My general opinion is, it won't do much to secure the foundation for religious beliefs, though it might show how such beliefs operate in our world. For instance, it's much more calming to think god might rescue you from a bleak situation, whether it ever happens or not. Doesn't mean it's true fact, just calming.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2016 at 2:19:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
God is tangible and detectable and observable in His effects and so on.

Then it shouldn't be a problem, him being all-powerful and stuff, for him to come to my house, introduce himself and shake my hand.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2016 at 2:20:48 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Someone posted this on WOV. It is about Trump, but it struck me as relevant to this conversation.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/137089875456/the-oddest-thing-about-trump
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 12th, 2016 at 2:37:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
I do think that this article is relevant. It describes how even when I acknowledge good challenges and questions from so many here I get nothing except relentless attacks in return. It is as if we are scared of admitting when the other person mentions something that is correct or challenging. It would be especially important in the onslaught that I am constantly receiving and the mean and degrading statements often made about my faith that we do a better job of recognizing the points of others. Maybe we can declare a ceasefire and better appreciate others for at least one day. I'm sorry if I haven't done a better job of this but I am pretty busy responding to numerous challenges all the time it seems.
January 12th, 2016 at 2:46:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
Someone posted this on WOV. It is about Trump, but it struck me as relevant to this conversation.

Wow, quite a day. This is FrG and his type
exactly:

"The first rule of persuasion is that you nudge the other person, but you NEVER let them nudge you. Let me repeat this word a few times: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER...If you show a willingness to get nudged, you lose your power in the negotiation."

I mentioned this very thing a few hours
ago. FrG's job, and others like him, is
to crack your resolve, to find a hole in your
belief or lack of belief, and cram god into
that hole with a sledgehammer. It works
well with young people, and not well with
those who have had decades to find out
the truth.

They really don't care how they get you there,
just so you believe the same as they do in
the end. It's how a spider thinks. His whole
purpose is to get you entangled in his web.
This is why FrG says in PM's and on the forum,
that he's glad we're finally seeing it his way,
or whatever, when we don't see it his way
at all. He's a trickster, always sowing the seed
of doubt. Do they teach this diabolical trait
in seminary, or does it come naturally, I
wonder.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2016 at 2:58:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I'm sorry if I haven't done a better job of this but I am pretty busy responding to numerous challenges all the time it seems.
I thought you were here because you enjoyed it?

Don't give up yet, it's getting to be more interesting all the time.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 12th, 2016 at 3:04:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Dalex64

Although, a lot of people recognize one or more psychological manipulations, even the most informed people still react to it sometimes, because you really can't shut out everything or be on your guard 24/7 to being influenced.

When someone starts telling you you're smart, or pretty, or perceptive, or intelligent, it's often something you want to believe anyway. They may or may not be manipulating you for some reason. You may catch on if it's a manipulation, or you may not. If they are just pushing a sale, then they only care that you believe it long enough to make the sale. Later you may realize the error.

I doubt if anyone is completely infallible to persuasive techniques all the time, but I'm willing to hear compliments to convince me otherwise.
: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?