Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 13th, 2016 at 12:25:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
You can't interview Jesus, which would be the least of the requirements -- and of course that alone is not enough. Even if we had Jesus here, the proof required would require a lot more than just observing him in a crowd doing his thing.

If Jesus is still in existence, as more than just the record left behind, then he could make himself available for an interview, plus tests and all else. If he did, and he could, then we could take things on from there.

Quote:
You have to control all the variables. He literally would have to perform in a controlled environment. Dead people he raised would have to be there too.
Wine/water, fish loaves, walking on water, all that.

Suppose he did and then were exposed as a fake, like Uri Geller and other "psychics."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 13th, 2016 at 12:36:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Anyway, God has a list of startling claims. Parting the Red Sea. So, supposedly he has a demonstrated record.

Is it our fault he won't offer up some tidbits?

That's a good point.

If we take the Exodus seriously, Jehovah had no qualms in performing miracles to the pharaoh through Moses(*). or of sending down ten specific plagues on Egypt, or in miraculously aiding the Hebrew people escape, or in feeding and guiding them through 40 years (where evidently he refused to consult the map and wound up walking in circles for 39 years and 11 months).

Through the rest of the Bible, including the NT, there are assorted other shows of miracles. And for the last 2000 years, there's nothing. Not a peep, not a sound, not a demonstration, no sequel to the Bible, even. Not according to Christians; I'm sure Muslims and Mormons and others would disagree.

Oh, I'm sure someone will bring up "miracles" attributed to saints and such. If so, I'll bring up Alexander's body failing to decay or decompose for days after he died, the Miracle of the Rains which saved Rome, the miraculous victories of Julius Caesar throughout his career (he was deified after death for a reason, you know), and more.

(*) BTW in Exodus, pharaoh's magicians go and perform miracles of their own right in front of Moses without exerting much of an effort. I'm amazed this scene is overlooked, brushed aside or simply neglected.
January 13th, 2016 at 12:46:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
That's a good point.

If we take the Exodus seriously

I read yesterday that even the Jews
have given up on Exodus. They now
say it's all fantasy, nothing in Exodus
ever really happened. All of it is
made up over campfire stories from
thousands of years ago.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2016 at 1:27:41 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed

Through the rest of the Bible, including the NT, there are assorted other shows of miracles. And for the last 2000 years, there's nothing. Not a peep, not a sound, not a demonstration, no sequel to the Bible, even. Not according to Christians; I'm sure Muslims and Mormons and others would disagree.

Oh, I'm sure someone will bring up "miracles" attributed to saints and such. If so, I'll bring up Alexander's body failing to decay or decompose for days after he died, the Miracle of the Rains which saved Rome, the miraculous victories of Julius Caesar throughout his career (he was deified after death for a reason, you know), and more.

(*) BTW in Exodus, pharaoh's magicians go and perform miracles of their own right in front of Moses without exerting much of an effort. I'm amazed this scene is overlooked, brushed aside or simply neglected.

I agree, it is a question I have asked repeatedly.

Why don't we see miracles like the ones documented in the bible?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 13th, 2016 at 5:32:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Oh boy lots of good stuff in these last posts to dissect and debunk and expose to the light of truth. Alas, I have to go and be with a dear friend whose brother has suddenly died. If you would be so kind to offer a prayer or thoughts of peace and good will to us as we try to get through this difficult time. Thanks.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 13th, 2016 at 5:50:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
Oh boy lots of good stuff in these last posts to dissect and debunk and expose to the light of truth.

Check your light bulb first.

Sorry about your brother's friend.

Also, what's with the disciple Judas? How could he be around Jesus and not be overwhelmed by the presence of his holy master? Is it possible he just hanged himself out of guilt for selling out a man, and later they made up a story how he realized Jesus was Lord just because it was convenient spin. Plenty of people have killed themselves over lesser things. You certainly don't need to sell out god to become suicidal.

If Judas wasn't convinced at the proximity to Jesus, surprised anyone can be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 13th, 2016 at 6:01:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
If you would be so kind to offer a prayer

Any particular god you want to ask the
prayer of? I prefer to ask the goddess
for favors, is that OK?

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2016 at 6:46:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Check your light bulb first.

"Open your eyes. Maybe you'll see the light."

Pat Benatar in "Treat Me Right"

I like the "maybe" in there.
January 13th, 2016 at 7:10:58 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
I read yesterday that even the Jews
have given up on Exodus. They now
say it's all fantasy, nothing in Exodus
ever really happened. All of it is
made up over campfire stories from
thousands of years ago.

Something like that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 13th, 2016 at 7:34:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64

They looked at it for decades from every
possible angle and concluded it was a
myth, shaped over a long period of time.
Just like most religious stories, just like
the Jesus myth.