July 23rd, 2018 at 12:51:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
FrG totally ignores a crisis and in
own church and instead is terrified
of a Trump tweet? Shows where his
priorities are..

I preached on this scandal and the first reading from the Prophet Jeremiah was perfect. Woe to you those shepherds who abandon the flock and do evil, justice will be done! In fact I don't know of many priests who are not talking about how awful this whole situation is. Not just what McCarrick did but the thing I can't get around is that I know some bishops and others must have known. This behavior was before he was promoted to Wahington and before he was mad a Cardinal. It is unfathomable to me how no one spoke up or it was ignored. It is legit scary even. However, let's remember our history and the promises of Christ. The gates of hell will not prevail over the Church. That has been shown over and over again. Evil men and evil actions from within and without have always been part of the Church, from the 12 Apostles to today. Yet the vast majority of good and Holy people that make up the Church continue to move us forward, purify us, and change us to be more like Christ.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 23rd, 2018 at 1:51:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It is unfathomable to me how no one spoke up or it was ignored.

Seriously? Really? Unfathomable??
How come to the rest of us it's what
we totally expect. You sure don't
know the company you work for
very well if it surprises you they all
kept their mouths shut.

Wanna change your story or are
you sticking with this one..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2018 at 2:04:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
I know the Church much closer and intimately than you do. You only know it through news stories, myths, and lies you have believed. It greatly surprises me that the Church hierarchy many of who I know and respect and love, would fail so grievously. I am obviously not the only one surprised or who thought this unfathomable or else it wouldn't have made the news and you wouldn't be harping on it so much.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 23rd, 2018 at 2:32:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
many of who I know and respect and love, would fail so grievously.

And yet none of us on the outside
are surprised in the least. It's what
we've come to expect. And we know
for every one of the hierarchy that's
outed, there are 20 more in hiding,
that the Church is protecting. You
know it too, but you'll just continue to
act shocked and appalled.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2018 at 2:55:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
You expect that not only because you are on the outside and do not know the Church, you also are prejudiced against the Church. It is also why you think there is so many more. Excuse me if I take what you say about the Church with a huge grain of salt.
July 23rd, 2018 at 5:55:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
you also are prejudiced against the Church.

Really? Who would be against a group
of men who claim to be the moral
arbiters, yet are themselves rotten
to the core right up to the highest
levels. Why would anybody be
prejudiced against such lovely people.
July 23rd, 2018 at 6:46:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
You expect that not only because you are on the outside and do not know the Church, you also are prejudiced against the Church. It is also why you think there is so many more. Excuse me if I take what you say about the Church with a huge grain of salt.
What do you have against yourself that you stay employed there?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 23rd, 2018 at 7:26:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
What do you have against yourself that you stay employed there?

Oh, if only you could see the greatness of the Church in its daily expression at the parish. The faithfulness at daily Mass, the joy of baptisms and weddings, the comfort of funerals and anointing. The peace that comes from talking with people about their hopes, dreams, and struggles. The grace of forgiveness and knowing of God's unconditional love. The fulfillment experienced in helping and providing ministry to the homeless and needy. It is the greatest! A true foretaste of Heaven.
Yes, some bishops and priests ignore their vows and promises, but I don't really work for them. I work for the people of God and God Himself.
July 23rd, 2018 at 8:20:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Oh, if only you could see the greatness of the Church in its daily expression at the parish. The faithfulness at daily Mass, the joy of baptisms and weddings, the comfort of funerals and anointing. The peace that comes from talking with people about their hopes, dreams, and struggles. The grace of forgiveness and knowing of God's unconditional love. The fulfillment experienced in helping and providing ministry to the homeless and needy. It is the greatest! A true foretaste of Heaven.
Yes, some bishops and priests ignore their vows and promises, but I don't really work for them. I work for the people of God and God Himself.

I joined the Grange hall one time, so I could get cheap car insurance. Getting sworn in we carried some flag around I think, and stomped our feet and turned in procession and came to a stop, and got cheaper car insurance. Is it sort of like that?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 23rd, 2018 at 8:34:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
I joined the Grange hall one time, so I could get cheap car insurance. Getting sworn in we carried some flag around I think, and stomped our feet and turned in procession and came to a stop, and got cheaper car insurance. Is it sort of like that?

Your experience is far greater, and
you got something real out it. Cheap
insurance. With Xtionity all you get
is a promise to be saved from something
they can't prove exists, sin, by somebody
who died 2000 years ago that they hope
is a god. Yes, you got the better deal by far.

"Yes, some bishops and priests ignore their vows and promises,"

No, they do a good job of staying in
them. They know the Church will
always forgive whatever they do and
cover it up if their rank is high enough.
These men know what they're doing and
who they're dealing with, they aren't
kids who misbehaved on a party weekend.

You say we don't know the Church, and we
know it all too well..