Where is FrG?

July 2nd, 2018 at 10:31:37 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: FrGamble
Morality is not a chemical or genetic thing.

This is where we disagree Padre. As I stated I believe it is in our genes, as we developed those that survived had learned to create societies of various kinds in order to survive and this became part of our genetic make-up. It is interesting that our debate has me on the side inherent good in man and your position that we have no internal good only an exterior force to make sure we don't give in to self interest.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 2nd, 2018 at 10:56:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Jesus story is not important? .

Nope. For 99% of human history, there
was no Jesus story. And for most of the
last 2000 years, 90% of the world had
never heard of Jesus. So just how important
is it, really. Not very..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:47:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: kenarman
This is where we disagree Padre. As I stated I believe it is in our genes, as we developed those that survived had learned to create societies of various kinds in order to survive and this became part of our genetic make-up. It is interesting that our debate has me on the side inherent good in man and your position that we have no internal good only an exterior force to make sure we don't give in to self interest.

I do believe we have instincts such as self-preservation, but that is not the morality we recognize as worthy of celebration. It is those who are willing to sacrifice and give of themselves, thinking of others first that we celebrate. It is also a fact that when we help others we are more happy than when we only look out for ourselves. These moral truths are not unique to Christianity, though they are most explicitly found there. This morality is something that all humans possess.

I believe that we are made in the image and likeness of God so I am also on the side of our inherent good. In fact I think we are inherently great and awesome. We gravitate to heroism and we recognize it in ourselves. I do however think it a little naive to think that this internal call to greatness can be done without effort or is something natural in us, it is supernatural and rightly requires effort on our part.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 2nd, 2018 at 1:49:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
And for most of the
last 2000 years, 90% of the world had
never heard of Jesus. So just how important
is it, really. Not very..

Um, Bob do you want to rephrase this or take it back? Our years are marked by His birth and it is the largest religion on Earth. Just about everyone on the world has heard of or knows about Jesus. I'm a little confused by your statement. Has your our perception or wishes again blocked out reality?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 2nd, 2018 at 2:27:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Looks like the current percentage is 40

https://www.google.com/amp/www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/2018/april/more-than-one-third-of-humanity-will-never-hear-about-jesus-day-to-reach-the-unreached-set-for-may-20%3famp

Coming up with a number of how many people have lived in the last 2000 years and the percentage of them who have never heard of Jesus would be a lot more difficult, giving the changing size of the Christian population, the ability to transmit the message, and the change in population numbers themselves.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 2nd, 2018 at 3:34:59 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
In fact I think we are inherently great and awesome. We gravitate to heroism and we recognize it in ourselves. I do however think it a little naive to think that this internal call to greatness can be done without effort or is something natural in us, it is supernatural and rightly requires effort on our part.

The few times I have done anything remotely heroic including the times I have put my personal safety at risk it required no effort. It was a completely automatic reaction to the situation I saw. In fact if I had thought about it the chance would have passed or I would decided it was too dangerous or it was much more advantageous to me not to do it.

Do you not do your good automatically Padre? I am sure you don't have to think about every good deed you perform and say to your self "is this what Jesus" wants me to do.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 2nd, 2018 at 6:07:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Just about everyone on the world has heard of or knows about Jesus.

"7,000 people groups are considered unreached. That means over 40% of the world’s people groups have no indigenous community of believing Christians. The text on page 161 says "The disturbing truth is that there may still be nearly 2 billion individuals who have never had a chance to hear the Gospel."

And that's today, with modern communication.
Go back from say 1800, and 90% of the world
had never heard Jesus name. Asia, Africa, S America,
if you take all the people who have lived in the
last 2000 years, less than 20% of them ever heard
of Jesus.

That's a staggering number of non informed people.
How important is a religion to your life after death
if 80% never heard of it. Not important at all, how could
it be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 2nd, 2018 at 7:44:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
I don't know where you get your stats about the 1800's? Did you pull them out of a hat or make them up. Long before that the name of Jesus has spread to every corner of the world. There is a lot of persecution in many countries today about spreading the Gospel or evangelizing people, though there are groups in every single country still striving and risking everything to spread the Good News. However, even in these countries the name of Jesus as the most influential person in human history is know. You can't study history or understand the world today without knowing about Jesus. Surely you agree. Maybe we are conflating knowing the Gospel message with knowing about Jesus. The latter is know by everyone.
July 2nd, 2018 at 8:42:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Long before that the name of Jesus has spread to every corner .

So you think that because a few people
in India had known about Jesus, it
counts as all of India in 1600? Even
today 2 billion will never know Jesus
name worldwide.

Of all people in the last 2000 years, less
than 20% knew Jesus name. Before 1500,
we didnt know N or S America even
existed. India and China and Africa were
mostly unexplored by Europeans.

80% of people who lived in last 2000
years never heard of Jesus. Look it
up, easy to find info..
July 2nd, 2018 at 9:07:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
doub.