Trump vs Hillary 2016

Thread Rating:

December 16th, 2016 at 2:12:10 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'm for voter ID, provided the ids are available for free.

I'm for a single unified national I'd, too, but the conservatives really scream bloody murder about that.

Why stop with voting, though? There are lots of cases where you should have to prove who you are, such as if you are stopped by the cops. Might as well be prepared to prove your citizenship while you are at it. Gotta catch those undocumented people. What better way than making sure everyone is documented, and that documentation must be produced upon request?

Your papers, please?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 16th, 2016 at 4:09:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64

I'd add: and easily available, even in rural areas, and not requiring travel longer than 25 minutes from any point in a jurisdiction (one hour in rural areas), and are issued either thirty minutes after the paperwork is filed or are mailed to the petitioner free of charge.

Quote:
Why stop with voting, though?

You know the states that require a drug test for welfare benefits? Overall these programs to prevent handing a dime to a drug addict cost far more than they save in withheld benefits. But the idea is sound. So how about this:

People making over, oh, $100,000 a year ought to submit to a drug test in order to receive certain deductions. we wouldn't want tax deductions to go to drug addicts, would we?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2016 at 4:58:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I'm for a single unified national I'd, too, but the conservatives really scream bloody murder about that.

Why stop with voting, though? There are lots of cases where you should have to prove who you are, such as if you are stopped by the cops. Might as well be prepared to prove your citizenship while you are at it. Gotta catch those undocumented people. What better way than making sure everyone is documented, and that documentation must be produced upon request?

Your papers, please?

Why free? Just use the ID you already have.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2016 at 7:02:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Because, as you know, not everyone has an Id that is sufficient for proof of identity when it comes to voting.

For some of those people, that kind of id is either difficult to come by, or unaffordable.

That is one of the main arguments in opposition to the voter ID laws.

Making the ids easy to get and free or affordable would solve that problem.

Of course, we then get to the objections from the other side, who do not want those people to vote in the first place. They are doing whatever they can to raise barriers to voting, rather than finding a way for everyone to have proper Id.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 16th, 2016 at 7:43:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Because, as you know, not everyone has an Id that is sufficient for proof of identity when it comes to voting.

For some of those people, that kind of id is either difficult to come by, or unaffordable.

That is one of the main arguments in opposition to the voter ID laws.

Making the ids easy to get and free or affordable would solve that problem.

It is easy and affordable. I've said it many times. To get a job you need the same ID. There are dozens of other things that require it. As the video shows, those against ID laws generally just think minorities are not capable of this simple task.

Quote:
Of course, we then get to the objections from the other side, who do not want those people to vote in the first place. They are doing whatever they can to raise barriers to voting, rather than finding a way for everyone to have proper Id.

The only "barrier" ever raised is to legally register ahead of time and prove your identity via ID. Not exactly like the Jim Crow Democrats. As to "finding a way" any competent adult can do so.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2016 at 8:24:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Why free? Just use the ID you already have.

Every legal adult in the US has ID.
You can't get liquor or welfare or
food stamps or cigs or a bank
account or a job or drive a car
or have a utility hooked up or
get a credit card or a host of
other things without ID. Illegals
don't have ID, they can't vote
anyway, who cares.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 17th, 2016 at 5:34:20 AM permalink
Dalex64
That is not true. As of 2012, 3 million Americans did not have government issued photo ID. And they aren't talking about children.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/01/146204308/why-millions-of-americans-have-no-government-id
December 17th, 2016 at 5:48:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
That is not true. As of 2012, 3 million Americans did not have government issued photo ID. And they aren't talking about children.

So 1% of people do not have ID? Well if they want to vote they need to go get one. Simple as that.

Reading the article it basically says they do not have ID because they did not get an ID. Boo hoo hoo. I guess it was just not important to them.
The President is a fink.
December 17th, 2016 at 6:00:58 AM permalink
Dalex64
One elderly woman only had a baptismal record, never received a birth certificate.

It said this sort of thing was not atypical.

A woman like that, such as a married stay at home mom, would not need to drive, would not need a job, would not need to buy liquor or sign welfare checks, now can't vote.

I agree they should get an ID. I think it should be easier to get than it is now.
December 17th, 2016 at 6:12:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
One elderly woman only had a baptismal record, never received a birth certificate.

It said this sort of thing was not atypical.

A woman like that, such as a married stay at home mom, would not need to drive, would not need a job, would not need to buy liquor or sign welfare checks, now can't vote.

I agree they should get an ID. I think it should be easier to get than it is now.

They could get one. Might need to hire an attorney, but they could get one. When you make it "easier" then you make it easier to do all kinds of fraud or for criminals to hide in plain sight. You have to remember, that is why they don't just hand them out.

This argument comes down to is it more important to have secure elections or to allow an extremely small minority who chose and choose to live off the societal grid "easy" access to vote. I am sorry that it sounds harsh, but if you have no ID you made your own choices.

Back to the video, I think it shows a broader point of how liberals really think about minorities. It is almost as if they are saying they need to "protect their little brown brothers" since they are incapable on their own. Sad part is human nature means a lot of people will just take such "protection" and be some kind of modern serf.
The President is a fink.