The Bible God or Kali

July 10th, 2016 at 1:51:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: rxwine
Often, I'm happy to embrace the agnostic view. But sometimes after reading several of FrGamble's crazy ass explanations, I drift into strong atheism.

I've had similar thoughts. The more I read, the more I believe that no religion has ever understood what God is, or what he wants, if anything.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 10th, 2016 at 2:12:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Often, I'm happy to embrace the agnostic view. But sometimes after reading several of FrGamble's crazy ass explanations, I drift into strong atheism.

Maybe you should try reading the Bible. It's the number one book for turning people to atheism.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 10th, 2016 at 2:14:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
I've had similar thoughts. The more I read, the more I believe that no religion has ever understood what God is, or what he wants, if anything.

That's funny, I was just thinking that today
as I was reading the long list of Church
heresies. Some of them are beyond ridiculous
and beyond understanding. It's almost like
every Church generation from the 12th century
on felt compelled to add some wacky heresy
to the list. To me it shows no cohesion, no
solidarity of thinking. Just ego driven bright
men trying to one up each other in faking
their understanding of a deity who obviously
is totally absent.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2016 at 7:57:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

You know its funny I've had the same experience except in regards to my faith. It has been a really good experience for me and strengthening to my faith to have all these atheists unable to provide any logical reasons or evidence as to why they believe in no God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 10th, 2016 at 8:20:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
all these atheists unable to provide any logical reasons or evidence as to why they believe in no God.

Back at ya. It certainly hasn't changed my atheism
that a priest has not one sliver of evidence that a
god exists, let alone that we should put our faith
in him. By your standard, we're just supposed to
believe a mediocre rehashed myth in the NT
really happened and just jump in with both feet
when there isn't any evidence whatsoever that
it's real.

Why would anybody over the age of 6 do that,
unless they were brainwashed from birth that
it's valid.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2016 at 8:29:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I can at least give you things that you reject as evidence. For example the historical person of Jesus Christ and His obvious, gigantic, and unique impact on the world, the logical fact that for there to be anything there needs to be a God to begin it all, something also pointed to by science. Then there is my own personal experience that I have had and continue to experience the reality of God's love in my life. There could be billions of other people that could testify to the same thing. There is also the unexplainable supernatural phenomenon. Then there is the truth that the teachings of the Christ continue to be so influential and important to discovering who we are as human beings and how we should live our lives. There is the practical fact that faith in Jesus Christ has helped countless people overcome personal problems that were destroying their lives. I know you have said none of this is evidence in your book, but at least its an attempt or something. I have heard nothing from you, Nareed, or anyone else as to what evidence or even logical reason they have for being so sure there is not a God. It sure looks like to me that you are the brainwashed one.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 10th, 2016 at 8:44:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
I can at least give you things that you reject as evidence.

Too bad none of it is really evidence that
a god exists. It's evidence for lots of things,
but just not that.

Quote:
I have heard nothing from you, Nareed, or anyone else as to what evidence or even logical reason they have for being so sure there is not a God.

I'm afraid lack of real evidence is all I have.
I use it for a lack of belief in other things
as well. Unicorns, leprechauns, space
alien abductions, the Easter Bunny. Lack
of real evidence is really all you need to
be a non believer, you know.

Quote:
It sure looks like to me that you are the brainwashed one.

You've said this before and I always ask
you to give some examples of where I
got brainwashed into atheism. I can give
a dozen where a Christian gets it, but am
stymied where my head could have been
filled with atheistic ideas. Enlighten me.
July 10th, 2016 at 10:56:47 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
How does there being the historical person Jesus prove there is a god? All that proves is that there was someone by that name, around that time who was worshipped by a few people. There was the historic person Jim Jones too. He has as much claim to the title as any number of whack jobs over the years.
July 11th, 2016 at 6:33:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
For example the historical person of Jesus Christ and His obvious, gigantic, and unique impact on the world,

Let's go with that. How about the much better documented historical persons of Gaius Julius Caesar and Gaius Caesar Augustus? they were both deified after their untimely deaths (and hey¡ One of them was assassinated by Romans!!), and they've had a much bigger influence on the world than Jesus. How? Simple. Much of the world runs on Roman-based law. That wouldn't have happened without these pushy gentlemen establishing an empire, which planted Roman law over Europe, the Mideast and Northern Africa. Later on Spain, France, Holland, Portugal and mostly Britain spread it to the rest of the world.

If I were you, I'd ditch the cross and go shopping for laurel wreaths.

BTW, since Augustus was Caesar's adoptive son, and Caesar was a god, then Augustus was both a god and the son of god.

Quote:
the logical fact that for there to be anything there needs to be a God to begin it all, something also pointed to by science.

If science pointed towards it, most scientists would be religious rather than atheist. In particular this would be true among physicists and cosmologists, who spend much of their time thinking about the most intimate nature of the universe and the Big Bang. And this is where you find the most atheists, for whom "God" is a mere figure of speech.

Quote:
Then there is my own personal experience that I have had and continue to experience the reality of God's love in my life. There could be billions of other people that could testify to the same thing.

How many more billions would "testify" about subjective feelings to other gods, or no gods? This is like saying chocolate is the best because you like it.

And everyone knows Coffee is the Best :)

Quote:
There is also the unexplainable supernatural phenomenon.

If we don't know what something is, let's call it "God."

Quote:
Then there is the truth that the teachings of the Christ continue to be so influential

It's said that people begin repeating themselves when they're intellectually spent. I'm not sure what it means when people repeat themselves in the same paragraph.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 11th, 2016 at 12:47:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
If science pointed towards it, most scientists would be religious rather than atheist.

Indeed. I 'point' to Asimov, Hawking, Sagan,
and Einstein. Four of the most well known minds
of the 20th century and they were all atheists.
They didn't beat the drum about it, they were
just quiet and steadfast all their lives that there
was no god. I'd rather use these men as examples
than big mouths like Bill Maher and Ricky Gervais,
but they all say the same thing. After looking at
the total lack of evidence, no god is there.

Who am I to argue with intellects like this. Who's
likely right, Asimov or Pat Robertson. Einstein or
Billy Graham. I mean, c'mon..

Asimov published over 500 books, the vast majority
were on science. You would think in all those decades
of being a well published scientist, that if god was
there, he would have stumbled across him in his
research. But nope, the more he studied, the more
convinced he became that god was an invention of
man.