Trinidad and Tobago

Page 3 of 6<123456>
April 4th, 2017 at 11:06:46 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: odiousgambit
we're finding new layers, Face, new layers

I think most of us appreciate poetry, we just prefer it in song Lyic's. Here's one for Face:

In the clearing stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down or cut him
'Til he cried out in his anger and his shame
I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fighter still remains.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 4th, 2017 at 12:38:16 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
FatherG.... A friend and colleague just returned from a Medical Mission to a poor part of the Dominican Republic. He paid to travel there, paid for his own accommodations, and provided free care for 5 days. He used his vacation time to do so. He did this because he is a good person, as an atheist he needed no higher power to help him decide what to do.
Another friend's wife went on a church sponsored mission recently to Nicaragua. When she returned home she was sick from something she caught there, and unbelievably died shortly thereafter, leaving 3 high school aged children motherless. If she was more selfish, and did not go to help out, she would still be here today, and her family would not be grief stricken as it is today. It is events like this that make me unable to believe in a benevolent higher power. As I know the family would appreciate it, if you could say a prayer for my friend and his family, thank you.
Sorry for thread derail.....
April 4th, 2017 at 12:52:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
FatherG.... It is events like this that make me unable to believe in a benevolent higher power. As I know the family would appreciate it, if you could say a prayer for my friend and his family, thank you.

If you're an atheist like me, and you say
you don't believe in a higher power,
why would you ask someone to pray.
It's a nice sentiment, but it really does
nothing except make the person praying
feel like they are accomplishing something
when there is zero evidence they are doing
anything at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2017 at 1:44:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
If you're an atheist like me, and you say
you don't believe in a higher power,
why would you ask someone to pray.
It's a nice sentiment, but it really does
nothing except make the person praying
feel like they are accomplishing something
when there is zero evidence they are doing
anything at all.

"As I know the family would appreciate it" You were unable to understand that?

Come on Bob......
April 4th, 2017 at 2:17:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Come on Bob......

I find prayer offensive, it's a form of
self worship. I would say 'I'm thinking
of you', or 'You have my sympathy for
your plight." I would never presume
to be the intermediary for some god
and claim to people I would talk to
the god about their problems. Praying
is the ultimate in hubris, IMO.

hubris
n
overbearing pride or presumption
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2017 at 4:11:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A prayer? Perhaps.
More likely he needs a few drinks and a nanny.
April 4th, 2017 at 7:13:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
A prayer? Perhaps.
More likely he needs a few drinks and a nanny.

That sounds good about now.
April 5th, 2017 at 8:30:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
FatherG.... A friend and colleague just returned from a Medical Mission to a poor part of the Dominican Republic. He paid to travel there, paid for his own accommodations, and provided free care for 5 days. He used his vacation time to do so. He did this because he is a good person, as an atheist he needed no higher power to help him decide what to do.
Another friend's wife went on a church sponsored mission recently to Nicaragua. When she returned home she was sick from something she caught there, and unbelievably died shortly thereafter, leaving 3 high school aged children motherless. If she was more selfish, and did not go to help out, she would still be here today, and her family would not be grief stricken as it is today. It is events like this that make me unable to believe in a benevolent higher power. As I know the family would appreciate it, if you could say a prayer for my friend and his family, thank you.
Sorry for thread derail.....

First of all I will certainly pray for your friend, his wife, and the family as well. Thanks for asking and sharing this heart wrenching story.

It is indeed events like this that make belief in a benevolent higher power so difficult for anyone. Emotionally we can't make sense of these things and we cry out in pain, confusion, anger, and disbelief in God - all of which are healthy responses. Our faith though is not based on emotion and over time we hold onto the rock of our faith which is hope in God's eternal love for us. This doesn't swing with our feelings and the tragedies of life. It grounds us in a sure and certain faith that your friend's wife is with God in the joys of Heaven. Our faith reminds us that the Lord will comfort the family and help them through this sorrow filled time. Our faith says that her sacrificial actions to serve and love the people of Nicaragua were not in vain or foolish.

I can't help put think what would happen if the situations were reversed and your atheist college returned home sick and died. I wonder if his friends and family would think just what you were feeling about this dear woman. If only he was more selfish. Why would he sacrifice so much to go on a medical mission? Now he is dead, what was there to gain from that action. Was what he did even good? Did it really have any significance? These are the questions that I think would really haunt an atheist and lead to a depth of sadness that a faithful family may be spared. It is events like this that make me unable not to believe in a benevolent higher power.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 5th, 2017 at 12:48:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
we hold onto the rock of our faith which is hope in God's eternal love for us. .

Hope, you mean you aren't sure? You're
hoping your god loves you? I'm totally
confused now.
April 5th, 2017 at 1:19:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Evenbob,,, ain't you seen the tee shirts. "We all have to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer"... so let people have their beliefs. And if instead of beer they change it to broad or joint... so what?
Page 3 of 6<123456>